Kitfox 1 aka "Foxy Brown"

51 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I suppose you could use plywood, but I used some oak I had handy to widen the fuselage on the Kitfox 3.  Plywood often has voids in it, and you are relying on the glue between the plys to hold it together.  Also, it might not end up near as smooth on the edges when you round it over.  I would go with the wood myself instead of plywood.  I don't think it would have to be oak either, I just used that cause it was strong, had no knots,  and was handy.  I ripped it down to 5/8" thick but could have left it 3/4".  JImChuk

PS  page 2 has the post of my wood widened fuselage.  www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/6050-latest-project-kitfox-3/

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

I suppose you could use plywood, but I used some oak I had handy to widen the fuselage on the Kitfox 3.  Plywood often has voids in it, and you are relying on the glue between the plys to hold it together.  Also, it might not end up near as smooth on the edges when you round it over.  I would go with the wood myself instead of plywood.  I don't think it would have to be oak either, I just used that cause it was strong, had no knots,  and was handy.  I ripped it down to 5/8" thick but could have left it 3/4".  JImChuk

PS  page 2 has the post of my wood widened fuselage.  www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/6050-latest-project-kitfox-3/                 Thank you again. I knew I had seen your widening job before. I will be repeating it. 

Posted

Ok next question. If we can epoxy wood to the fuselage for widening. What about using wood to add little more to our tail feathers as I've heard a little more control is a plus  

Posted

Maybe could.  Not sure how far I would dare go.  The epoxying wood on to the fuselage was my idea, and as such, anyone who copies it does that at their own risk.  That being said, I think what I did with my Kitfox 3 will be just fine.  To make bigger tailfeathers, it wouldn't be that hard to weld on some more tubing either, and if done correctly it for sure should be good.  Maybe could even add a built in trim tab then.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

It seems like adding an inch and a half that way would be easy. But I don't know if an inch and a half would change anything  

Posted

I'm guessing 1 1/2" would change quite a bit.  Think of what a small trim tab can do.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm guessing 1 1/2" would change quite a bit.  Think of what a small trim tab can do.  JImChuk

very true. I think I'm going to give it a shot. Just add a bit.  

Posted

Wings are repaired and almost ready for cover. 

Resized_20190131_142446_6586(1).jpeg

Resized_20190131_142513_9694.jpeg

Posted

So the manual talks about fuselage stringers but I'm not understanding where they go. I'm not finding any pictures. What are they made of?How big?

Posted

Wood stringers go down the sides of the fuselage from the back of the door to the tail, and down the center of the belly of the fuselage.  1/2" wide X 5.8" high with a rounded top.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hope this helps too.  The welding of standoffs is optional.  Standard practice is to glue on wood ones.

100_0825.JPG

Edited by TJay
1 person likes this

Posted

Hope this helps too.  The welding of standoffs is optional.  Standard practice is to glue on wood ones.

100_0825.JPG

thanks jay. 

1 person likes this

Posted

The Nancos are mounted. Brakes are ready for lines and bleeding. Test fitting parts. I am missing the rib the attaches to the passenger side that the roof hooks to. Anybody have an extra. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted

Really all it is is a rib with one side of the cap strips missing, plus the part behind the rear spar.  I have a some ribs, but wont be near them for a bit.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

20190212_170601.jpg

Resized_20190220_163641_3812.jpeg

Resized_20190220_174825_2436.jpeg

Edited by Browning

Posted

Stitching is complete. Final tapes and then on to ekofill. 

So the manual talks about fuselage stringers but I'm not understanding where they go. I'm not finding any pictures. What are they made of?How big?

20190317_180057.jpg

20190317_180022.jpg

20190317_180029.jpg

20190317_180046.jpg

Posted

They are about the same size as the stringers in the wings that hold the ribs from moving sideways.  They are on each side and the bottom.  This is a 3, but the 1 should be the same.  JImChuk

Photo1066.jpg

Posted

20190318_111058.jpg

Posted

Curious as to why you drilled holes in the cap strips rather than going around the cap strip with your rib lacing :dunno:

She be looking good though, keep at it!

:BC:

Posted

Curious as to why you drilled holes in the cap strips rather than going around the cap strip with your rib lacing :dunno:

She be looking good though, keep at it!

:BC:

Don't think I've ever seen that before?

Posted

I didn't want the lacing on the outside where it would get beat up.  I thought it might protect the laces better. Idk. 

Posted

Once you get it ready to fly, take a good picture. That's the best it will ever look. My old one, after the first 10 hrs, was covered in bug poop, cow poop, and other disgusting things. But dang, it still looked good to me!

2 people like this

Posted

Once you get it ready to fly, take a good picture. That's the best it will ever look. My old one, after the first 10 hrs, was covered in bug poop, cow poop, and other disgusting things. But dang, it still looked good to me!

I will for sure. 

Posted

Primer is going on. 

20190324_175426.jpg

20190328_172328.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

20190403_182329.jpg

20190403_174648.jpg

20190403_174706.jpg

20190403_174717.jpg

1 person likes this