Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Paint

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Dumb stunt! Had my tail covered up thru the ekofill and tried to shortcut on paint and use latex. Big mistake, latex and ekofill does not seem to play well together. Another learning experience, should have known better. After this many years I know not to shortcut a process, guess I had a hillbilly moment. Back to buying expensive paint from Stewarts Systems.

Posted

What did the latex paint actually do?  Not sure what color you want, but here is some unused stuff on barnstormers.  JImChuk

(just rereading my post, and wondered, "would anyone want used paint)  :-)

STEWART'S BLUE METALIC PAINT • $400 • PRICE REDUCED We over bought and have 2 unopened Gallons of Metallic Blue and activator normally $335/gallon. • Contact Randy Lewis, Owner - located Simi Valley, CA USA • Telephone: 805-501-9549 • Posted January 13, 2019 Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This Ad

Posted

The latex went into creepy crawly mode.  Used my test panels for testing as I always do. Recommend anybody who is covering make a couple test panels on frames made out of wood, scrap tubing, etc. and finish them up thru final paint. They can always be used for patches, gap seals, etc. Might even make one for trim colors also.  Buying used paint is like buying used underwear. Unless you know the person selling the paint. Stewarts System will freeze in shipping this time of year. One advantage of the Stewarts paint is that it goes a long way. All one really needs is to cover the filler so it doesn't show thru.  Multiple coats aren't really necessary unless you are building a show plane. Two or three coats at the most is generally good.Or at least in my experience.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I guess I was making a joke on the used paint thing.  (it's all dried out) :lmao: (is that what they call "dry humor"?) Nice thing about poly fiber stuff.  It don't freeze.  I always have some sitting in a unheated garage in northern Mn.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

Started painting my tail assembly with the Stewarts paint yesterday. Came out pretty darn good for a shade tree painter. Had a small amount of orange peel and it seems to blend in after a few hours. I know it sure is glossy, looks like its wet. Ended up using 26 psi at the gun and a few minor adjustments on the fluid control. In this temp and humidity about 24 hrs to touch and 48 to dry. Slow process, but hope its worth it.

1 person likes this

Posted

Started painting my tail assembly with the Stewarts paint yesterday. Came out pretty darn good for a shade tree painter. Had a small amount of orange peel and it seems to blend in after a few hours. I know it sure is glossy, looks like its wet. Ended up using 26 psi at the gun and a few minor adjustments on the fluid control. In this temp and humidity about 24 hrs to touch and 48 to dry. Slow process, but hope its worth it.

Snap a picture sometime after its dry i would like to see how shiny it is?

Posted

Will try to do that soon as its dry.

Posted

Picture, don't know if you can see the gloss.

001.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

looks really nice

Posted (edited)

And I don't put a lot of paint on my aircraft. Just enough to cover the eko fill. I build safe airplanes, just not show planes. I like light aircraft. Better performance, better handling and less HP required.

Edited by Allen Sutphin
2 people like this

Posted

That is exactly how I built my Bandit. Lite weight and simple!

2 people like this

Posted

Looks good to me. And I worked at a Beechcraft dealership and painted KingAirs all the way down to bug smashers (rentals).

I understand what you are talking about (concerning weight) but we rarely had to balance control surfaces. How much can an extra coat or two weigh? 5#, 10 at the most?