Where is the MK4 section?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

What happened to the Avid MK4 section?

John M

Posted

I just checked AND It's there. Avid Model IV. 

Posted

What the......?

I don't see it on the forum which is why I posted this question on the Magnum section.

I see all the other sections. 

Any ideas as to why I must be doing something wrong?

John M

Posted

How are accessing the forums John? PC or mobile device?

Posted

Since I no longer see a MK4 section I'll post this info here.After the original failure I just ordered another one 

I use an Earthx battery on my Avid MK4. It is muck lighter than the Odyssey and cranks my Jabiru 2200 much faster fro quicker starts in cold weather.

I recently moved the battery from behind the back seat to the engine side of the firewall. This eliminated about 5 feet of #4 battery cable reducing the line loss substantially. 

While doing this change I acidentally shorted the battery causing the fault light to come on. The BMS Batterty Management System blocked the output of the battery.

I read 3.5 VDC. I tried to recover the battery ($375.00 item) by putting on the charger while jumping it with a boost pack similar to what we carry in our cars and airplanes for a quick jump.

I got the battery back to putting out its normal 13.2 VDC, but the battery fault light was still on. 

I tried startng the plane and it cranked very well. I flew an hhour with the aircraft charg system applying 14.8 VDC in cruise. The fault light went out.

I though the proble was resolved when I returned to my home base when I noticed the fault light was not lit. However, it did light much later.

I called the company and found them to be very cooperative. They said they would look into the internal circuits in the battery, fix it and return it.

After the original failure I just ordered a new one from Amazon that should arrive today. So I am going to have a spare batter which I will sell at a discount just to recover some costs.

I'll let you know how this turns out.

John M

Posted

skypics,

Thanks for the info on the Earthx battery, good stuff.

You can't find the MK4 section because thee isn't one, it is the "Avid Model IV" line on the "Avid Flyer General Hangar" forum. See the screenshot below:

avid flyer MK IV.jpg

Posted

Thanks for the tip on where to find the Avid MK4 section.

John M