Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox Newbie

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,  I am in the process of building a Kitfox 3.  Acquired a nice kit here in Alaska,  fuselage is nicely powder coated.  Just finishing building the wings right now.  Great forum, invaluable advice!  Probably be bugging for advice too as the build progresses.  Thanks and Hi.

Wade..., Delta Jct Alaska03DE8678-F770-47B6-BB03-71DC6B51D273.thu

Posted

Welcome to the group!  Questions, comments, and pictures are certainly welcome.  JImChuk

Posted

Nice looking KF so far, lucky to find a model 3 was it unbuilt? Sould b fun as hell i love my model 1's. Im not far from u (100miles)  

Posted

Yes pretty much a brand new kit.  The fella I bought it from in Soldotna had the fuse, struts ect. powder coated, think he installed the controls and landing gear.  Lots of work to do for sure!  So far everything seems to be here in the kit..... new grey head 582..not sure if I’m going to send it out to get checked out... be another thread.

Posted

If it's never been gone through, then that engine is about 30 years old.  Even if it doesn't have any corrosion in it, the assembly lube Rotax used will be dry and gummy by now.  Went through that recently myself.  I would definatly have it gone through and get it inspected and have new seals and gaskets put in.  And if there is any corrosion on the bearings, you  will have saved yourself an engine out for two reasons.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I would definetly have it looked at, that way u know and there probably nothing wrong with itnbut the end seals should b changed and check/replace the waterpump seals, i had mine looked at by Darby's Performance Machine here in Fairbanks, mine was all good inside so no parts to replace was just a gasket,seal,and a mag check on crank for cracks, im sure is more to the checkout of motor, was only $380.  Make sure its ur "Airboat Motor" lol. They r ski-doo/Rotax guys there with lots of parts instock. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I looked at that bird.  The guy you bought it from is only a couple blocks away from me.  I would reseal the engine for sure!  Hope you talked him down on the price he was asking!

:BC:

Posted

I looked at that bird. 

Must not have quite enough projects if your still looking for more ha.

1 person likes this

Posted

I went to look at it with akflyerbob.. He is the one that has to have at least 4 airplane projects going at one time all the time. :lol:   the sad truth is that's no shit.. I think being retired he has to build and sniff poly tone to keep him young.  :lmao:

Posted

Thanks for the info... yeah figured I should have it gone through .  I have heard of Darbys in town...They pretty knowledgeable on the airplane motors?  Any other good Rotax guys in AK that work on the aircraft motor?  I see Rotax Rick mentioned quite a bit.

Posted

Any good sled shop can reseal it for you.  I have done 4 or 5 582's myself.  The rebuild manual is on this site and the dvd "deep inside your rotax" pretty much walks you through it.  Buckchop on here is in Fairbanks and has a shop he used that resealed his engine.  I don't know anything on the other shops up there.