Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ROTEC prop for kitfox 4

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Just bought a Kitfox 4 with a 2800 Rotec engine. The prop is on the small side at  70 inches with pitch unknown.

I have not flown it yet, but am thinking that the prop is quite small for this engine.

What size prop are Rotec operators using????

Mark in Orlando 

Posted

Mark,

Congrats on the new plane.  You need to post up some pictures.

That s a pretty unique engine for these planes but know that KF built the factory demonstrator plane with a 2800 Rotec.  They could probably give you an idea what worked best for them if they did any testing of props on the plane.  Also Rotec should give you a good idea what props would work best for your preferred mission with your plane.

I have run Warp Drive, IVO and Whirlwind on my Subaru; all 3 blade and from 70" to 72" and they all work fine with about 100 hp.  There are so many variables, but I tend to like the longer props.  I've always wondered if the larger frontal area of the radial engine would require a longer prop to get good airflow than the same hp engine with a smaller frontal area?

I look forward to hearing how you like it.  Welcome to the Forum.

Randy

Posted

Just bought a Kitfox 4 with a 2800 Rotec engine. The prop is on the small side at  70 inches with pitch unknown.

I have not flown it yet, but am thinking that the prop is quite small for this engine.

What size prop are Rotec operators using????

Mark in Orlando 

I have a 78x48" Prince on my model IV.  I think Mike Kraus has a Prince on his Rotec.  I don't know what size it is...