Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hirth 3202

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Got my engine home this evening after a 2 hour round trip. A fuel injected 55 hp w/ exhaust, carbs too and all assoc. parts. Will need a gearbox instead of the belt drive though. Also included a Warp drive prop.  Ended up getting it all for $1750.00. Will need a motor mount, same as a 503 mount.

Posted

Such a deal!  Doesn't that engine have a different cylinder material that grows/shrinks closer to the aluminum piston thermally?  Is this similar to the kind of silicon alloy aluminum used on the Chevy Vega?  After they worked out the metallurgy my understanding is that it proved quite durable.  It'll be interesting to see how things go for you, departing the golden path as is were.  And no coolant to leak!

Posted

The cylinder wall and the piston are supposed to expand and shrink at the same rate, but that would be hard to prove. Supposed to be seizure resistant but any will seize if allowed to operate outside of its limits. The biggest issue will be to reverse the fan so it will be pulling fresh air from the front to the rear instead of trying to shove it forward. It is one of the low RPM/high torque engines I was mentioning. So we'll see if it does the job. Evidently a model 2 flew well with a 503 and this 3202 is a little more energetic than the 503 at a lower RPM.