582 enricher

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Can someone post a picture of the enriching system and how to get it hooked up? Right now I’m using starting fluid to get it started for the first time

Posted

Matthew,

So when you say "enriching system" do you mean a primer system that inject a small amount of fuel directly in the carburetor like this "primer kit":

861620-primer-kit.thumb.jpg.fb0bb45ee4f9 

or the choke that is normally built in to the Bing carburetor and pulled by a cable?

The primer works well but is unpleasant as it brings fuel right to the dashboard and as they have a tendency to leak... not nice...
The chokes are hard to pull but with a lever installed it works fine:

choke.thumb.jpg.50e9461e82f77e1afe433bc0

Posted

Starter Fluid?? That's a real bad idea....

Posted (edited)

Here's the Mike Strattman article about the enrichener.   https://www.cps-parts.com/cps/pdf/Part60.pdf

The parts needed are detailed at the bottom of the page.  I suspect you can still get these from CPS

Edited by tcj

Posted

Starting fluid is bad?

Posted

Fuel is the lubrication for a two stroke as the oil in mixed with fuel. Starting fluid (ether) is a highly flammable product but also acts like parts cleaner by washing any oil off the surface of the cylinder walls leaving a non lubricated surface just before that piston goes to 3000 RPM. I use to work as a diesel mechanic and have seen people literally wipe the cross hatching off the cylinder walls using ether. It's just not a good idea. 

1 person likes this

Posted

i'll use choke, plus primer bulb to fill carbs on the first starts , it will be in line of fuel just behind and under panel

Posted

Well shit, I guess I need to get the fuel figured out. And I’ll get the extended plugs as well to help

1 person likes this

Posted

I have the lever actuated enrichment unit...will it still draw fuel into the circuit if I actuate it, then turnthe prop by hand?

Posted

I have the lever actuated enrichment unit...will it still draw fuel into the circuit if I actuate it, then turnthe prop by hand?

Yes, if the throttle is closed so the carb slides are down.  If carb slides are up just a little the enricher won't pull any fuel.

Posted

I’ll try tomorrow and report back

Posted

I had some choke kits, but think I sold them.  Here is a link to a primer.  They are popular on snowmobiles.  JImChuk

https://www.denniskirk.com/parts-unlimited/primer-kit-plunger-7000.p1862.prd/1862.sku

Those are life savers if you don't have an electric start and a bad rope angle to pull from. We used to carry plug wrenches and a can of WD-40 to start the old sleds. When those primers came around we added them. I've been putting them on my ultralights for decades.

Fred mentioned they can develop leaks. Not a problem if you install under your cowl somewhere and have an access door hatch. Even mounted on your dash like mine they are easy and cheap to replace if they start leaking. If I were installing it I'd probably go with the cowl/hatch door idea but since someone else installed mine I'm not going to change it's location.

You might still need a choke otherwise you have to hit the primer a few times while it's running or it will die on you. For some reason who ever built mine didn't put the chokes on it. I prefer the chokes because you can use them to cool down a lean running engine if you have to.

Posted

Another thing to watch out for is the primer can still flow fuel even when it's not being used. I put a stop valve in front of mine.