Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Howdy all

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Howdy all,  I got my model A Avid in April which is all so the first time I ever heard of an Avid Flyer.  I all so lost they it when I got home and my middle kid saw it and told me that it was her airplane, So she is claiming it as her 18th birthday gift.  So we have a couple years to get it done.  I would like the input from those that know more than me.  Ok to the Avid what I know is that it is an A model sn- 181 that was built and flown an unknown number of years then the covering was removed sometime be for2010 at which point it set outside in middle Florida till I got it this year  It has some of the upgrades like the longer flat bottom wing and the newer rudder I think.  I have taken it all the down to the frame which I fix. I'm going to powder coated all the metal parts and start putting her back together.  Do not know what to do about the wings yet, but will figure that out after we get the frame protected from rusting in the Georgia weather.  I'm sure I have said too much and not an enough at the same time so as any question just ask.  

Thank you all.

p.s. will take some updated pic and add sometime this week.

20180426_102934.jpg

20180426_185736.jpg

20180426_185741.jpg

20180426_185747.jpg

20180426_185803.jpg

20180426_185938.jpg

20180426_190050.jpg

20180426_185847.jpg

20180427_183336-2.jpg

20180427_195456.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Welcome to the group.  Looks like you have quite a project there.  A few years ago, I saw one that was in need of more work then yours maybe, and it's a flyable airplane now.  Just takes a bunch of elbow grease.   No doubt you will end up with lots of questions on what or how to do things.  Don't be afraid to ask those questions.  Most all of the members here are willing to help, so when the time comes, fire away!  JImChuk

Posted

Another classic being rescued! Hats off to you!

Posted

Yes, we proud de-facto acolytes of Vishnu (Hindu God of preservation & restoration) salute you for taking on the salvation of that bird!  I wonder what engine you have?  It looks air cooled.  The airplane was originally designed for the Cuyuna snowmobile engine, I think.  The majority of us (I think) fly behind the liquid-cooled Rotax 582 engine.  Of course yours, being the A model, has the motor mount as an integral part of the fuselage frame.  In later models it separates at the firewall, and is held on with through bolts.  Looks like you're in for an adventure!

Posted

Definatly a Rotax, most likely a 503.  There was a guy named Pops that flew his A model with a 447 though.  JImChuk

Posted

Never heard of the flat bottom wing option. Anybody have info?

Posted

Speed wing has a flat bottom.  Usually on a short wing Avid.   JImChuk

Posted

The engine is a Rotax 503.  I think the wing is a cross between the speed and HH wings, they have the plan for the hh but us the ribs for a speed wing.   Here what we have done so fur.

20181210_160636.jpg

20180602_131320.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks like you have some good helpers there, with four of you working on it you should have it flying in no time.  I wonder if they were planning on the extended speed wing.  One thing I would do if I had a replay would be to reduce the washout to an inch or less.  There is a lot of discussion about that on this site. That would be if you are planning on rebuilding the wings.

Posted

Thanks, yes they have to be completely rebuilt or replace if I come across a good sit.