Getting close for an engine choice

36 posts in this topic

Posted

Interesting, just glancing at ULPower website and see my Avid MkIV pictured. Wonder if they want to give me an engine for it? Ha!

Posted

U mean the have ur plane (the nice yellow/red trycicle gear) on the website as one that is UL powered and u not have that motor in ur bird? 

Posted

They indicate on the page the picture is just and example of the aircraft type, and state that the pictured aircraft is not UL powered.

They do have a firewall forward package for the Avid.  I priced it a few years ago, and it was around $18,000 as I recall

Posted

Where do you see a UL power for under $10k. From Sonex the UL260i is $20k. UL power doesn't list prices on their website that I can find. 

Posted

New, most 4 strokes are in the 15K-20K range. A couple under that but generally in that range. A tad too much to put on a classic airframe such as an Avid/Fox, at least for me anyway. Especially when a 2 stroke can be had for under 10K plus a few hours learning how to setup and operate one. Those working on the Apex or Phazer engine conversion might be on to something. I think there are more possibilities out there.

Posted

Where do you see a UL power for under $10k. From Sonex the UL260i is $20k. UL power doesn't list prices on their website that I can find. 

Guess I am going crazy. I was looking into these last week bit now cannot find it again. Admittedly, I am out of it after pretty major back surgery last week too. Probably saw something else but sure thought it was the UL power prices. Oh well. 
Allen, I agree, spending 15k to me is out of range for a plane I didn't spend 18k on for initiation purchase price when it already had an engine. A $2000 rebuild all the sudden sounds more reasonable. 

Posted

U mean the have ur plane (the nice yellow/red trycicle gear) on the website as one that is UL powered and u not have that motor in ur bird? 

That's the one, Jabiru powered. They probably stole the pic from Mark Mendick's site, I had sent him some when he was trying to get going.

Posted

Guess I am going crazy. I was looking into these last week bit now cannot find it again. Admittedly, I am out of it after pretty major back surgery last week too. Probably saw something else but sure thought it was the UL power prices. Oh well. 
Allen, I agree, spending 15k to me is out of range for a plane I didn't spend 18k on for initiation purchase price when it already had an engine. A $2000 rebuild all the sudden sounds more reasonable. 

Take the 2K and rebuild the 2 stroke every 2 or 3 years and you have about as much reliability as one can expect from ANY engine. Even every 5 years ups the scale a bunch. Unless one flys a couple hundred hours a year, a 1500-2000 hr TBO doesn't really mean a whole lot. Most average rec pilots may get 50 hrs a year so 20-30 years down the road, rubber engine seals are already done in. And at the price of a four stroke overhaul, one keeps on flying a ticking time bomb till it goes boom. A lot of 912's on the market for reasonable prices and low hours, but how old are they?  Does one want to fly a newly overhauled 2 stroke or fly a "seems to run alright" engine that's X # of years old and never been torn apart?  Everybody has their opinion. Not saying anything but want everybody to consider the amount of risk they are willing to accept vs. cost.

Posted (edited)

Take the 2K and rebuild the 2 stroke every 2 or 3 years and you have about as much reliability as one can expect from ANY engine. Even every 5 years ups the scale a bunch. Unless one flys a couple hundred hours a year, a 1500-2000 hr TBO doesn't really mean a whole lot. Most average rec pilots may get 50 hrs a year so 20-30 years down the road, rubber engine seals are already done in. And at the price of a four stroke overhaul, one keeps on flying a ticking time bomb till it goes boom. A lot of 912's on the market for reasonable prices and low hours, but how old are they?  Does one want to fly a newly overhauled 2 stroke or fly a "seems to run alright" engine that's X # of years old and never been torn apart?  Everybody has their opinion. Not saying anything but want everybody to consider the amount of risk they are willing to accept vs. cost.

Allen, you bring up a good point, regardless of what we decide to fly behind, we all have to choose what our acceptable risks might be versus rewards. Personally I fly at least 80 to 100 hours per year outside of flying for a living. My work plane is a Pilatus PC-12 so I get plenty of fast and high stuff during the year that I balance flying lower and VFR type birds. I split it currently between a Lycoming IO320 powered Glasair, a Subaru powered Pietenpol, a one of 3 built open cockpit Parasol type plane and coming soon a Kitfox IV. Each hold different risks for me and I assess that every time I fly what is acceptable for that flight, weather, etc. Those are then weighed against my personal minimums and what reward I will gain. 

Edited by lostman

Posted (edited)

I'm throwing my 2 cents in for the HKS turbo or the Jab 2200A.  I've committed to either one or unloading my mdl C HH.  I've been looking while I make my hard landing/crash repairs.  But flying behind a 2stroke anymore .......'meh. I'm good though w/one on a bike, jet ski or snowmobile.

I called the fellow with the jab Jim referred to last week, but he'd already sold it to a fellow in CA just before I called sadly

Edited by allonsye

Posted

I'm throwing my 2 cents in for the HKS turbo or the Jab 2200A.  I've committed to either one or unloading my mdl C HH.  I've been looking while I make my hard landing/crash repairs.  But flying behind a 2stroke anymore .......'meh. I'm good though w/one on a bike, jet ski or snowmobile.

I called the fellow with the jab Jim referred to last week, but he'd already sold it to a fellow in CA just before I called sadly

Either one is a good engine. The HKS does great in a light aircraft, but a heavy one, not so much. It won't do what the 582 did in the Avid. The Jab would be more suited for the job in my opinion. Before I spent the money on the HKS, I'd talk to someone who flys one in a similar aircraft, or even a road trip to fly in it or get firsthand info and look at the installation. Even being a four stroke, if it doesn't do what you want, then you're back to where you started only with less money. The Jab, you can get honest information here on the forum. They have the actual real time experience and give you the truth.

1 person likes this