covering

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Started covering my wings today with the Stewart System. After 30 yrs of using poly-fiber, so far I love this new system.  Had a nice warm fire while I was covering. No smell or odor, don't have to be in a rush before the glue dries, a more relaxed pace. Which translates to a better job. Guess its not hard to teach an old dog new tricks, after all.

Posted

Some guys aren't so happy when it comes to the finish painting.  I have never used it, so can't say one way or the other for sure.   JImChuk

Posted

I plan to use latex house paint as a final color. It will go over the ekofill just fine. Most either have it too thin or too thick which translates to a poor finish or paint problems. It does help to roll or foam brush on the first coat and lightly sand it then spray the final coats. In my career, I have made about every mistake one could make when painting.  Some of them were expensive, too.

1 person likes this

Posted

Just out of curiosity how much does their paint cost?

Posted

I plan to use latex house paint as a final color. It will go over the ekofill just fine. Most either have it too thin or too thick which translates to a poor finish or paint problems. It does help to roll or foam brush on the first coat and lightly sand it then spray the final coats. In my career, I have made about every mistake one could make when painting.  Some of them were expensive, too.

C5Engineer has some experience with standard house paint and the additive needed to help it work. I think he wrote and article in here about it, You might hit him up.

Posted

I think the Stewart System paint is around $300 a gallon. Pricy compared to 40-50 a gallon for good quality latex. I did use their glue and filler and its around $200 a gallon but its easy and a gallon of each will do a Kitfox.  Another final option is after final painting, spray a coat of their clear over the latex and it protects everything. This is the first time I've used the Stewart System so I am in the learning mode on this system. So far its been pleasant to work with. The video's make it look so easy a hillbilly could do it.

Posted

Finally got my wings finished up thru the filler coat, or course a lot of time was spent installing new tanks and a couple of ribs and working part time. Will wait till I finish covering everything prior to painting which only messes up the shop once. I really like the Stewart System better than Poly Fiber cause now I can actually walk in a straight line from the shop to the house. Well, straight for someone in their 60's.

2 people like this