Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cutting off the motor mount

29 posts in this topic

Posted

What is the dimension from the long cross tube to the top of your firewall.  I'll try to measure mine tomorrow.  If the 582 is 15" from the motor mount base to the top of the engine, mine might be too high.  If you have time tomorrow, I might give you a call.  Jim

Posted

Allen,  a friend of mine flew his Avid A model with the 55 HP Hirth for quite a few hours, with the fan set up like yours, and he didn't have issues with CHTs that I remember.  He flew it close to 200 hrs with that engine.   Maybe you really don't have a problem that needs fixing.   I had a 447 free air in my Himax, and never had issues with overheating on it either.  Course we do live in northern Mn.   JImChuk

That's good to know. Maybe I don't or won't have a problem. Time will tell. If I don't have problems, no sense in fixing what ain't broke.

Posted

What is the dimension from the long cross tube to the top of your firewall.  I'll try to measure mine tomorrow.  If the 582 is 15" from the motor mount base to the top of the engine, mine might be too high.  If you have time tomorrow, I might give you a call.  Jim

Looking at my pictures I posted, I would say that the top of the firewall is about 1 1/2" - 2" above the upper motor mount bolts.  Remember, the 582 engine is inverted, and goes under the motor mount.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

The issue you are having with the mount is that on the A model airplanes the tubes on the top of the firewall meet forward of the firewall at the front of the engine mount and on later models the tubes from the wing carry-through meets at the top of the structure above the tank and from there out to the mount points. 

Charlie S.

Edited by Avid90
Error in original description