lycoming mod ?

56 posts in this topic

Posted

You are correct. As long as you stay with the 5 or above you are going to be a lot better off. The trick is finding one. The 5's and up sell faster than it takes a person to post them.

I know of a 5 in California with an O-200 on it, He loves the thing. 

Posted

Without major airframe modifications, you will not put a Lycoming, any model Lycoming in a model 3 Kitfox.

The 233 is a $30k+ motor.  You could buy 2 or 3 Rotax 912 engines for the cost of the 233.

Posted

What about an 85 hp or a 105 hp engine at 139lbs. They would work on a 2 or 3 built light. Might require a few hours or so to learn how to run it reliable. Most of you already know how. If mine comes in light enough, that's what I'll try to use.

Posted

Get a PA20/22.  They can be had far cheaper than a Continental or Lyco-saurus powered Avid/Kitfox.

the problem is a pacer won't fit in my garage when I have the plane in ND instead of CA

Well if it's a detached garage, or even an attached garage with the proper rear wall, put a green house or bay window in it. Might buy you 1-2 extra feet.

Posted

Get a PA20/22.  They can be had far cheaper than a Continental or Lyco-saurus powered Avid/Kitfox.

the problem is a pacer won't fit in my garage when I have the plane in ND instead of CA

Well if it's a detached garage, or even an attached garage with the proper rear wall, put a green house or bay window in it. Might buy you 1-2 extra feet.

it is a detached garage and its only a single car port with no wiggle room to build it bigger

Posted

Without major airframe modifications, you will not put a Lycoming, any model Lycoming in a model 3 Kitfox.

The 233 is a $30k+ motor.  You could buy 2 or 3 Rotax 912 engines for the cost of the 233.

what major airframe modifications would have to be done I was planning on building mine with a bigger rudder full bush gear, adding vortex generators and a few other things but only thing I saw that would be an issue is firewall, engine mounts, snd of course building s custom cowling but I don't want the round cowling anyway so id really love to know what id be in for, also I have found ten 233 for 14k so far so im not to worried about the price I just don't trust the rotax on everything I would want to do with it 

Posted (edited)

Here you go, Kitfox 2 with 4 stroke engine.  JImChuk

$16,900 • AVAILABLE Selling my wifes Kitfox. Model 2, recovered in 2012, new wing tanks installed (ethanol resistant) at this time. Hks 700e also installed at this time. Great engine, gets off in about 300 feet solo and burns 2-3 gph, can fly all day on the 14 gallons on board. 498 hrs tte. Just had a fresh annual in July and is flying regularly. Has bush gear, matco brakes, almost new Ivo prop. Flaperon hanger braces installed when recovered. Great plane ready to go, fly it home. • Contact James O. Kopf, Owner - located Honeoye Falls, NY USA • Telephone: 5854781625 • Posted October 1, 2018 Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures

1x1.gif

thumb.jpg?modified=1538432076thumb.jpg?modified=1538431885thumb.jpg?modified=1538431908thumb.jpg?modified=1538431942thumb.jpg?modified=1538431975

thumb.jpg?modified=1538431975

PS   thought I posted this an hour ago, but I must have not hit the send button.

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted (edited)

Here you go, Kitfox 2 with 4 stroke engine.  JImChuk

$16,900 • AVAILABLE Selling my wifes Kitfox. Model 2, recovered in 2012, new wing tanks installed (ethanol resistant) at this time. Hks 700e also installed at this time. Great engine, gets off in about 300 feet solo and burns 2-3 gph, can fly all day on the 14 gallons on board. 498 hrs tte. Just had a fresh annual in July and is flying regularly. Has bush gear, matco brakes, almost new Ivo prop. Flaperon hanger braces installed when recovered. Great plane ready to go, fly it home. • Contact James O. Kopf, Owner - located Honeoye Falls, NY USA • Telephone: 5854781625 • Posted October 1, 2018 Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures

1x1.gif

thumb.jpg?modified=1538432076thumb.jpg?modified=1538431885thumb.jpg?modified=1538431908thumb.jpg?modified=1538431942thumb.jpg?modified=1538431975

thumb.jpg?modified=1538431975

PS   thought I posted this an hour ago, but I must have not hit the send button.

that is absolutely a beautiful two what kinda hp are you getting out of that hks 700 im just kinda curious also what is its cruise speed as well as stall speed 

Edited by ljones7533

Posted

It's not my airplane, just an add that popped up on barnstromers.  The HKS is 60 HP.  They are supposed to be a real good engine according to those that have them.  I know of a guy here in Mn that has an HKS in his Kitfox 3.  He can cruise at about 80.  There is a guy who used to frequent this site, and he had one on his C model Avid.  He liked it, and flew the plane a lot.  Here is a link to his videos on utube.  JImChuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSi8-fbxmJ8

Posted

It's not my airplane, just an add that popped up on barnstromers.  The HKS is 60 HP.  They are supposed to be a real good engine according to those that have them.  I know of a guy here in Mn that has an HKS in his Kitfox 3.  He can cruise at about 80.  There is a guy who used to frequent this site, and he had one on his C model Avid.  He liked it, and flew the plane a lot.  Here is a link to his videos on utube.  JImChuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSi8-fbxmJ8

oh ok thank you though for posting it I might just buy a used 2 or 3 at this point fly that till I can save up for the s7 sti kit and just build that out with the 233 since that motor was designed for it  but this two you send me the link on seems really interesting and id probably be pretty happy with it until I fly with my Buddys that have citabrias then will want 100hp haha 

Posted

what major airframe modifications would have to be done I was planning on building mine with a bigger rudder full bush gear, adding vortex generators and a few other things but only thing I saw that would be an issue is firewall, engine mounts, snd of course building s custom cowling but I don't want the round cowling anyway so id really love to know what id be in for, also I have found ten 233 for 14k so far so im not to worried about the price I just don't trust the rotax on everything I would want to do with it 

I would expect for that airframe to have any chance of getting close to balance, some type of fuselage extension will be mandatory.  Something akin to the 18" stretch which is done to the Avids.  Increasing the size of the elevator and rudder alone won't cut it.  For the weight and torque of the Lycoming engine, more gusseting and reinforcement of the forward fuselage should be considered, also.  All this will add considerable empty weight to an airframe with a 950 or 1050 gross weight.

I'd love to see a link to a $14k Lycoming O233.  This is a brand new engine for Lycoming, with only a handful of them being installed to date.  A (much heavier) O235 may be had for $14k or the orphaned O290, but I have never seen a used O233 for sale, much less one for $14k.

Posted

I would expect for that airframe to have any chance of getting close to balance, some type of fuselage extension will be mandatory.  Something akin to the 18" stretch which is done to the Avids.  Increasing the size of the elevator and rudder alone won't cut it.  For the weight and torque of the Lycoming engine, more gusseting and reinforcement of the forward fuselage should be considered, also.  All this will add considerable empty weight to an airframe with a 950 or 1050 gross weight.

I'd love to see a link to a $14k Lycoming O233.  This is a brand new engine for Lycoming, with only a handful of them being installed to date.  A (much heavier) O235 may be had for $14k or the orphaned O290, but I have never seen a used O233 for sale, much less one for $14k.

http://www.paramotoraviation.com/products.php?product=Lycoming-IO%2d233%2dLSA-Aircraft-Engine theres your brand new 233 for 13,500

Posted

http://www.paramotoraviation.com/products.php?product=Lycoming-IO%2d233%2dLSA-Aircraft-Engine theres your brand new 233 for 13,500

start adding on all the accessories to make it run.  by the time you add the carb, exhaust, mags, baffling etc your going to double the 13k easily.  You cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear.  If you hang that on the nose of an early model you will have a giant paper weight.  The useful load will mean the pilot has to be a circus midget.  By the time you get a 7 in the air you could have bought 2 180s that would kick the crap out of the 7 every way from sunday. 

It is 100% about your mission profile.  If you are happy flying a pig from airport to airport to airport solo it might make you happy.  If you want STOL your going to be pissed off with it.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

start adding on all the accessories to make it run.  by the time you add the carb, exhaust, mags, baffling etc your going to double the 13k easily.  You cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear.  If you hang that on the nose of an early model you will have a giant paper weight.  The useful load will mean the pilot has to be a circus midget.  By the time you get a 7 in the air you could have bought 2 180s that would kick the crap out of the 7 every way from sunday. 

It is 100% about your mission profile.  If you are happy flying a pig from airport to airport to airport solo it might make you happy.  If you want STOL your going to be pissed off with it.

well thank you for your input but bottom line is I have watched 3 rotax 912 blow up after putting a big bore kit  and I need at least 120hp for everything I need to do 

Posted (edited)

Also listed on that website is a brand new Rotax 912 iS Sport for $13,500.  Link  This website is bullcrap. 

Send them your money and see what you get.  I've seen far more modded and stock Lyco-saurus engines fail than Rotax engines.  To each their own.

A far better option for you would be to put an RX1 Yamaha engine on the plane.  Much more doable installation in that airframe with higher horsepower.

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

That website is BS. 

They list a 914 for 16.5k new, I paid 20k for one back in 1996! 

Posted

I see that the website contact number and address is in Indonesia.  The numbers just don't add up.  A new Jabiru engine is twice the listed $7500 price.  JImChuk

Posted

Barnstormers has an influx of Scammers posting engines for sale. Guess where they originate from.......Indonesia!

Posted

well thank you for your input but bottom line is I have watched 3 rotax 912 blow up after putting a big bore kit  and I need at least 120hp for everything I need to do 

Then save your nickels till you get enough to buy what you want. A model 2 or 3 won't cut it.  Probably not even a model 4 will make the grade.

Posted

Hey Ljones

I have not heard of any 912 fitted with a big bore kit "blow" up.....  Can you please give more info about you having watched 3 blow up!!!!!!!!!

where, what aircraft, Hrs run, which model 912 etc....

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Ljones

I have not heard of any 912 fitted with a big bore kit "blow" up.....  Can you please give more info about you having watched 3 blow up!!!!!!!!!

where, what aircraft, Hrs run, which model 912 etc....

a few guys I knew with rv-12 in California sent their motors to zipper big bore who specializes in modifying rotax motors and after about 100 hours they either threw a piston had one blow a hole in his block and a friend of mine who had it on his Rans had a connecting rod snap in half 

Posted

one guy (courierguy) on backcountrypilot.org forum has more than a 1000Hrs on the big bore kit without any trouble...

Over a one year period now I have NOT been able to find a single failure story regarding the big bore kit on the net anywhere. I am REALLY interested in the complete story of the guys having had trouble. Why is there nothing about their misfortune anywhere? It would be very helpful of you to bring these stories to light for the rest of us. In the meantime I am going to ask Hall if he knows more about this.

Thanks for your feedback

P.s. It is very helpfull to have the details like: Were the engines converted from 80Hp to ? Hp or did they use 100uls engines to go higher Hp / did they install fuel injection,turbo,high performance camshaft? / Were the engines old, used, prop strike before mod etc...

Posted

I now have over 400 hours of trouble free operations on my Zipper engine.

The only catastrophic failure that I know first hand is Trent Palmer.  This is well documented on YouTube.

Posted

one of the problems were that those motors were modified after their second or third overhaul one of them was a 80hp the one on the rans im really not sure on which that one more than likely was owner error all of these guys are just not interested in sharing there stories which I found odd but these gentlemen were maintaining their planes themselves which could be a big part of it but it just has left me worried im sure It would be fine but I just worry about it when thinking about buying a used motor. Especially if I decide to buy a used 912 for what ever I decided to build or buy I also would love to know if any of you are in eastern ND or western MN id love take a ride in one since I've only sat in a kitfox 2