lycoming mod ?

56 posts in this topic

Posted

Let's focus on what is really important here: akflyer has single handedly offended (and hurt the feelings of) every member of this forum who is a midget employed by a circus!

On a lesser note: If I was going to mod an engine for one of these planes, it would be bumping an 80hp 912 to 100hp. Anything other than that makes me a bit nervous and compels me to look at other Rotax options in their stock form. But that's just me, and not a very educated opinion. The HKS options are interesting but what little I have heard is 'smooth running though low on power for hp rating'. Would like to know more about them. They certainly seem to lower the asking price when an aircraft is listed for sale when compared to a comparable Rotax powered unit.

It's all very interesting. However, I do believe that we can all agree that we should be a tad more considerate of our shortest members around here. :rolleyes:

2 people like this

Posted

The HKS engine has a good reputation. I know several owners, no particular issues reported. Reliable and low consumption. The only but is the power... it is closer to 50-55 than the announced 60 hp. Some years ago there were rumors about a more powerful model to come but no news since... If you do flatland and stay close to sea level it can be an interesting alternative but I would go for something different for mountain and bush flying...

Posted (edited)

Currently, their website only shows the 700E 60hp engine. Might be neat on a Kitfox Lite? They are showing an 'all-in' weight of 121 pounds, dry.

On Edit: That includes an electric starter.

Edited by Ramos
add

Posted

I know there is a turbo kit on the market for the 80 hp model. Rotax, I don't think makes one themselves. As far as the HKS, they did have a 700T turbo, but it didn't work out too well and isn't available anymore, new at least. I would be cautious about buying a used 700T, too much heat and pressure, more than the engine could handle. If one could still find one running. I have been paying attention to the light aircraft engine market for the last several years and the only real improvements are coming from homebuilders in their own shops. Leave it to the little guy(pun) to find a way to get in the air. Of course most of the inovations in aircraft started with some homebuilder standing in his shop scratching his head (and other places) saying "this might work".

Posted

HKS quit the turbo motor a while back.  I believe when they stopped importing them to North America a couple years ago.  When importing resumed, there was no turbo option.  I don't know if that engine is still produced in Japan.

In the proper application, the HKS motors have a wonderful reputation, only hampered by their lack of power.

To the wider point, I agree that wringing out too much from an engine will hasten it's demise.  I am very confident in my 105-ish horsepower, low compression, Zipper that I installed into my 1996 vintage 912UL.  I have added a slipper clutch and 2.43 gear ratio which has improved it's performance further.