Bringing a Kitfox 1 back to life

213 posts in this topic

Posted

Yes, I’m still waiting to get some flight time. I talked to one instructor who came highly recommended and has some Kitfox time. He required carb heat, which I haven’t done. I’m considering it. Not likely to fly until next week, between the weather and other things I have going on. 

Rotax has a Service Instruction regarding carb icing on 2-stroke engines that includes a couple proposed methods for carb heat

https://rotax-docs.secure.force.com/DocumentsSearch/sfc/servlet.shepherd/version/download/068A00000018rqtIAA?asPdf=false

Also, there are at least a couple vendors that sell "carburetor heaters". One style uses hot water from the cooling system to heat the carb bodies. Obviously this would only work on water cooled engines. The other style uses electric heating elements to do the same and runs off of the electrical system. This method doesn't heat the induction air, so there isn't a large horsepower loss or change in mixture due to heated air.

That said, I agree that the typical rotax 2-strokes are not as prone to carb ice but it isn't because of the engine, it is because of the type of carb used. My 582 powered Kitfox doesn't have any carb heat and I'm not worried enough to add one.

Posted (edited)

4D9F325C-5F59-4D79-99BE-94F595729F97.jpeg

Edited by Good old number 29
Picture

Posted

This is a great forum, but I’m spending way too much time on here instead of flying. Almost a month since I got the inspection, and still haven’t gotten it in the air. I got it tied down outside to make it more accessible when the moment comes. Today turned out to be beautiful, but the instructor I lined up was busy. Maybe Wednesday, if weather cooperates. I hate waiting. 

93552E2F-C4B6-4B84-B0CE-E1245874A2F4.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

She looks mean! I bet it will fly nice

Posted

Looking good.  I get home Wednesday afternoon, give me a shout if your instructor falls through and you want to see that bird in the air.  Bob makes me test fly all his new birds :lol:  Only tried to kill me a few times :lmao:

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

This is a great forum, but I’m spending way too much time on here instead of flying. Almost a month since I got the inspection, and still haven’t gotten it in the air. I got it tied down outside to make it more accessible when the moment comes. Today turned out to be beautiful, but the instructor I lined up was busy. Maybe Wednesday, if weather cooperates. I hate waiting. 

93552E2F-C4B6-4B84-B0CE-E1245874A2F4.jpeg

Know what your feeling! Mine is still in the barn ready. Between crappy weather, no time for a tail wheel refresher, and other stuff,  mine hasn't been airborne yet, either. Did get a couple of hours up and down the strip checking everything out. But, its ready, spring will come, and its in the dry waiting so all is good!

Posted

Kitfox Model 1 versus Model 4 comparison. 

54CB8A12-0205-4B43-B501-28B91E3BCCE7.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Kitfox Model 1 versus Model 4 comparison. 

54CB8A12-0205-4B43-B501-28B91E3BCCE7.jpeg

gotta admit Ive never been a fan of the round bump cowling, yours looks good. 

Posted

Good shot for comparison. Now I know why mine looks different than most. My cowling ring with the bumps is almost a foot longer than the model 4 shown here.

Posted

It lives!

20A2E9C8-CB59-4C2A-894D-67466DD53812.png

5 people like this

Posted

I know that felt great!!!!!

Posted (edited)

Mr. AKFlyer himself. Thank you very much for your assistance today. Leni and Bob both came to the airport and helped make it happen. This is the second takeoff. We made three prop adjustments, and went up a size on the jetting, to 165, between flights. I brought the bungee struts home to swap out the two 1080’s for one 1080 HD CW per side. Much too stiff as it was. Leni was the fearless test pilot. Everything went well. Engine and prop are silky smooth. Temps are good. It flies like a Kitfox.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g4SV0OGmicc

1 person likes this

Posted

Our illustrious leader demonstrates when and why you use brakes during landing, and I get fired as camera man. The solid Maule tailwheel bounces a lot on the rocks.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D6p9xE-69N0

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Touching down after the first flight. Well, it’s the first flight for it in a long time, and the first flight since I bought it. Its very first flight was on April 13, 1987. Remember the third step. Dream it, Build it, FLY IT. I love step three. Even watching it from the ground, while holding my out of focus iPhone with cold hands in the 8° morning so I can take a bad video of how awesome it is. See?

https://youtu.be/O83AgxnJcZU

1 person likes this

Posted

Very nice.  I'm glad to see it flying, it's been a long struggle for you, but it will be all worth it once you are flying it yourself.  Good for you!   JImChuk

Posted

Thanks for your help and support on it too, Jim. The tank, false ribs, carb o-rings, those parts I got from you were a big help. You and TJay were the ones who steered me to this forum after seeing my project on Teamkitfox. That was a big deal too, since the people here are more into projects like mine. It was pretty exciting to see it take off. Even better when it flew the pattern and then landed without a problem. I need to deal with some static on the radio, and a couple other little things, but I’m really happy with how it came out. 

2 people like this

Posted

That's great to see that nice job.

Posted (edited)

Congrats!  Another classic saved!

Edited by Allen Sutphin

Posted (edited)

Leni is a good pilot, and is one of the best around on knowing these planes,  and he did the same test flight for me summer b4 last on #21, man was one of the best days of my life!! So i know how damm good it feels!! 

Number 29 looks great, sounds great, now the weather looks so good ull have 100hrs on it in no time!!

CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!

Edited by Buckchop
2 people like this

Posted

I got carb heat hooked up. If I had the plane here when I made it, I would have fit it just a little differently, but it’s good the way it is. I also got some braided ignition shielding installed. The whole project was more difficult because I was working outside in the cold. Wish I had it in the shop for this, but it would have taken me longer to get it there and back than to do the work. The temperature dropped over 60° in the last two days. 

6B92044C-4E03-4725-92BC-773178B82D74.jpeg

05E5BFF5-A336-4956-A144-9CC7FF3E088A.jpeg

8510D11E-7955-442C-9547-F0DB4C199C1D.jpeg

819C4E03-38EC-4E57-ADF6-6513E001862B.jpeg

C01FE445-F3F9-4AD6-9F7B-C9B19626A545.jpeg

7487D87D-131B-43DC-B195-2A724CC63205.png

93776DD3-C4EB-4742-A8FF-8F2C8B651CDD.jpeg

Posted

Dragged the plane back into the shop and installed right seat brakes and a defrost vent. Rebuilt the original MC5 master cylinders and put MC4s on the new pedals. Much firmer brakes. Maybe the cold will let up soon? Minus 6 here this morning. Supposed to be colder tomorrow. Um, why are my pictures loading upside down? Incidentally, that's basically the same view I had when I did those ugly welds.99592F93-2442-4D67-B349-F9F9F54680AB.thu61FD4210-D7E8-4350-8F5C-0B80D4B74D26.thuBB59BFD0-48A7-48CF-A92C-850D77B7C484.thu

Posted

Why dual brakes?

Posted

Why dual brakes?

Why dual brakes?

Learning to fly a TD with the instructor not having brakes is a great way to wad one up.  I have seen it happen on more than one plane around here.  

Posted

What he said. My instructor flew left seat, so he had the brakes, and said I better put them in so we could do it right. I'm glad I did it. Obviously, I want to learn to fly it without breaking it. Besides that, the brakes are a lot better. There isn't enough traction right now to know for certain, but I believe the brakes will hold it at full throttle. I couldn't quite get there with the previous setup. I improved the geometry on the left, and made my new right side pedals taller, so they have a really good advantage. I was concerned that the additional leverage was going to make them softer, but they were twice as firm after I rebuilt the old masters. 

Posted

And if I'm not mistaken you can legally take lessons in your own plane with dual set up.