Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

582 crank

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello All,

I know this has probably been beat to death but I like your opinions on a 582 crank issue. I'm rebuilding a KFIII that has been sitting for about 8 years. I've sent the 582 greyhead off to a rotax tech for inspection. The crank was replaced new in 2002 and the engine run about only 5 hr. before it sat up. The tech says the crank is good in run out and the needle bearing he can see are fine but due to the fact that it is over 5 yrs. old and there are bearings he can't inspect he is suggesting I replace it. What is the groups thoughts ? Is it necessary to replace a crank with 5 hrs. on it ? My long term plans are to convert to a HKS or 912 but I'd like to get the plane up and flying first but if I have to sink to much money in this motor I might as well bite the bullet and do it now.

thanks,

EG

Posted

Hello All,

I know this has probably been beat to death but I like your opinions on a 582 crank issue. I'm rebuilding a KFIII that has been sitting for about 8 years. I've sent the 582 greyhead off to a rotax tech for inspection. The crank was replaced new in 2002 and the engine run about only 5 hr. before it sat up. The tech says the crank is good in run out and the needle bearing he can see are fine but due to the fact that it is over 5 yrs. old and there are bearings he can't inspect he is suggesting I replace it. What is the groups thoughts ? Is it necessary to replace a crank with 5 hrs. on it ? My long term plans are to convert to a HKS or 912 but I'd like to get the plane up and flying first but if I have to sink to much money in this motor I might as well bite the bullet and do it now.

thanks,

I think if it was put away properly and stored with storage oil and kept dry it should be fine.If it was replaced in 2002 then it would be with the updated crank and rod assembly so replacing it seems like a waste. If it were mine and it felt smooth I would run it, but on the other hand I would get a second and third opinion.Good Luck Randy

Posted

I'll 2nd that unless there was a problem in storage (damp/humid/open intakes and exhaust) I would have a very hard time replacing a new style crankshaft with only 5 hours on it.

Posted

I'll third that one.. new seals and run it! No way would i drop 1200 plus on a new crank when you have a new crank in the engine.

:BC: