Flaps

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone have pics of their flap lever and are there any notches or some way of “setting and forgetting “? My flaps don’t have any way of staying where i set them.... so im landing with full flaps with the flap lever behind my right knee trying to hold it there while working the peddles. There’s got to be a better way. Pics to follow when i get to the airport 

Posted

59D3DD6C-D5F0-43E5-961D-E8BB2A9459D9.thuno flaps

Posted

No flaps

Posted

Full flaps

8905B0F7-8795-4891-8E7B-1B5B6C982CBB.jpeg

Posted

There should be a piece of leather between the two plates on the flap lever and where it attaches.  Tighten up the bolt that holds it all together, until it stays in place while in flight, but is still able to be moved.  Some guys have notches, but I never found it was needed.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

That looks about right. The most important thing is to assure good friction at the pivot so the flaps don't randomly change from where you have it set. I cut a leather washer out of an old thick belt and it worked the best of the materials I tried.

I like the continuously adjustable nature as opposed to notches with fixed settings because you can set it wherever you want and they are great for trimming for level flight when adjusting around the off position if just a bit of reflex is incorporated at flaps off. This is as long as the flaps "off" end of travel does not over reflex the flapperons and that full "on" does not exceed 40 degrees when combined with aileron travel. 

Most solutions that add detents add weight with no real benefit to the original design.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Doesn’t look like much to me beside maybe trim for level flight at cruise and i really dont need them for that because i have electric trim on the elevator. Does anyone have a pic of the flaperon @ full on ?

Edited by Avidharleyflyer

Posted

Don’t think of these as flaps. They are not designed for drag like traditional flaps. In fact max travel is 15 degrees per the Manual. Where they really shine is on takeoff and lowering your stall speed by 5-7 mph so you can hang it on the ragged edge during a true short field landing. For folks flying off big paved strips you won’t see much advantage to using them. For an uphill 200ft one way strip they make the difference in getting stopped or not. I’ve found that when hot and heavy and climbing up high to cross a pass they help squeak out a little more climb rate. If not leather for the friction washer a piece of felt works too. 

117300DB-869E-4354-BE71-C7E26460CD5E.jpeg

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Don’t think of these as flaps. They are not designed for drag like traditional flaps. In fact max travel is 15 degrees per the Manual. Where they really shine is on takeoff and lowering your stall speed by 5-7 mph so you can hang it on the ragged edge during a true short field landing. For folks flying off big paved strips you won’t see much advantage to using them. For an uphill 200ft one way strip they make the difference in getting stopped or not. I’ve found that when hot and heavy and climbing up high to cross a pass they help squeak out a little more climb rate. If not leather for the friction washer a piece of felt works too. 

117300DB-869E-4354-BE71-C7E26460CD5E.jpeg

Thats a pretty bad ass picture,  and runway.  I like it.

Edited by TJay

Posted

Thanks for all the input guys. Has anybody taken out the adjustment bolt and gotten more than 15% flap . Seems that if i remove it, i’ll be able to get much more. Good idea or not ?

Posted

You also might get into the area of control reversal.  That is the reason for the stop bolt.  So I would say it's a bad idea.  :-)  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

Just tighten down the bolt at the pivot point and it will hold.

1 person likes this

Posted

Mine has a little wood block beside the flap lever, with groves cut into it for the lever to drop into.  Easy peasy.