Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wrapping fuel tanks

4 posts in this topic

Posted

i saw a discussion here awhile ago about the ethanol resistant tanks. Can't find it now. Talked about which resins are compatible and which aren't. 

Posted

It is my understanding that vinyl ester resin is much more ethanol resistant than polyester resin. I believe the epoxy resins offer the greatest ethanol resistance, and that makes sense to me because I found both structural and phenonovalac epoxies to be virtually immune to ethanol.

Posted

I'm getting ready to wrap the tanks with fiberglass. The new tanks came with my kit and I don't have any info on what they're made of. Just trying to decide what kind of resin to order. 

Posted

I believe that all of the tanks that were supplied by Avid were polyester resin. I know the ones supplied with my MK IV are PE  That said you can use polyester vinylester or Epoxy to wrap the tank, with polyester being the cheapest.  The issue is that polyester will not bond well to Epoxy but Epoxy does bond to polyester just fine.  The tanks were coated with mold release so they will need to be cleaned and sanded no matter which resin you use.  I think that is covered in the build manual.