Fixing the cowl

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I had a little mishap while moving all my Avid stuff to the Airport. My top cowling got smashed. I took it out to a guy and he reglassed one edge and fixed a spot on the bottom cowl. One of the fasteners up front had been drilled to close to the edge and split out so I had him build up that area. When I went to pick it up I could see that when he reshaped it he took to much off. Now I’m back to where I was before. I hate the body work stuff. I’m just not good at it. 

E9ED1314-95F6-4B93-9A2C-CD3849B15525.jpeg

110BF266-E2F5-427E-AC2B-BEEB880C35EF.jpeg

Posted

Vance,

Fred Stork has the best fix/set up for this part of the cowling-it’s MUCH better than stock set up and would solve this problem. It simple and durable. Get in touch with him, you’ll be glad you did! All the Best, Bryce

1 person likes this

Posted

The good side. 

D854455D-A23D-4066-8A6B-87E3ED0A0AF0.jpeg

Posted

Vance,

Fred Stork has the best fix/set up for this part of the cowling-it’s MUCH better than stock set up and would solve this problem. It simple and durable. Get in touch with him, you’ll be glad you did! All the Best, Bryce

Thanks Bryce!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I never liked the original system here you have to bend the cowling when closing it. My solution was to cement a metal pin and a corresponding metal tube on the 2 halves of the cowling, one set on each side obviously...

image.thumb.jpeg.5b1ad8e3e06c33c27820327image.thumb.jpeg.9574ebf4a0fb88ae091f210

It works great and provide a very good positioning when closing the cowling. As long as I stay subsonic ther is no tendency for the cowl to "gap"

Edited by FredStork
6 people like this

Posted

I did that same thing holds them nice and tight

Posted

That’s a good idea. What did you use for the cement? 

Posted

That’s a good idea. What did you use for the cement? 

9460 worked for me

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you

Posted

I think I used Plastic Padding (I am Swedish after all... even if it is nowadays owned by loctite) but anything that works with the glass fiber cowling and get stiff enough would do the trick. 

Posted

Thank you Fred. Could you give me an idea on what works best or what method you used for alignment before gluing? 

Vance

Posted

Thank you Fred. Could you give me an idea on what works best or what method you used for alignment before gluing? 

Vance

I honestly don't recall how I did it... but take a piece of wood, drill 2 perpendicular holes with the diameter of the pins at the required distance and use it as a jigg is what I would do today... once the pins are in place put the tubes on them and use that half of the cowling as jigg... don't forget to put 2  sheets of thin plastic between or they will be glued forever...

2 people like this

Posted

Thank you Fred. I called a friend today that works with stuff like this and he said it should be no problem. Thank you for the information. I like the wood idea as a jig / spacing tool.