Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Need a 10 MM helicoil installation kit

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys.  I'm in need of a 10 MM x1.25 helicoil kit.  I have the inserts already.  Need the tap, and installation tool.  This is for the medium 10 MM threads.  (fine is 10x1.0MM, medium is 10x1.25MM, and course is 10x1.5MM)  Who here has bought a kit and never used it after that first time? I did manage to use a 5/16 twice, about 15 years apart. :-)   I'll rent it if you want it back.  Just don't want to spend $60 and never use it again.  Here is what I need.  Thanks,  JImChuk

https://www.mcmaster.com/#91732a822/=1cuu4k5

Posted (edited)

Jim,  Unless there is a reason you cant use solid inserts instead of helicoils, like the walls not being thick enough, I highly recommend them.  They don't need the High $$ tap or tool, just the next size up for either standard or metric threads, and they have locktite already on the threads, or you can get them with little "fingers" that you drive home after screwing the insert in - They never come loose or strip out.  Check Grainger or MSC.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks for the reply Ed.  I found a helicoil set on ebay for $25 so I bought it.  The guy has a bunch of new old stock stuff that he is selling.  Hopefully it's not some Chinese junk.  I didn't want to make the holes any bigger than they already are.  JImChuk

Posted

Thanks for the reply Ed.  I found a helicoil set on ebay for $25 so I bought it.  The guy has a bunch of new old stock stuff that he is selling.  Hopefully it's not some Chinese junk.  I didn't want to make the holes any bigger than they already are.  JImChuk

Jim,  Either way, the holes have to be tapped out larger, unless you are just replacing a stripped helicoil.  I have several boxes of solid inserts, but sure that they are all American threads.  EDMO

Posted

Yes, I'm replacing some existing helicoil inserts.  JImChuk

Posted

The rest of the story (as Paul Harvey would say)  Nobody came through with one I could borrow or buy, so I got one off of ebay for less than half what I expected to pay at Mc Master Carr.  Actual Helicoil brand and everything.  Did what I had to do with it, and that worked out fine.  Today I'm up in the hangar, and looking for some stuff for the Kitfox 4 I'm rebuilding.  What do I find in the box I'm looking in but a 10 MM 1.25 pitch thread helicoil set.  And not a cheap set, it has taps for bottoming holes as well as through holes.  Real good installation tool as well.  Ain't that the way it goes.  I probably will never need the one I bought again, and now I have 2 sets.  Why didn't I remember that was there before?  I'm sure I saw it at one time when I went through those boxes......Not sure if I'm happy that I found it or not:unsure:  JImChuk

Posted

The rest of the story (as Paul Harvey would say)  Nobody came through with one I could borrow or buy, so I got one off of ebay for less than half what I expected to pay at Mc Master Carr.  Actual Helicoil brand and everything.  Did what I had to do with it, and that worked out fine.  Today I'm up in the hangar, and looking for some stuff for the Kitfox 4 I'm rebuilding.  What do I find in the box I'm looking in but a 10 MM 1.25 pitch thread helicoil set.  And not a cheap set, it has taps for bottoming holes as well as through holes.  Real good installation tool as well.  Ain't that the way it goes.  I probably will never need the one I bought again, and now I have 2 sets.  Why didn't I remember that was there before?  I'm sure I saw it at one time when I went through those boxes......Not sure if I'm happy that I found it or not:unsure:  JImChuk

Welcome to my world Jim!  Wife keeps reminding me that I have so many tools I cant find them and of course I buy another.  ;<)  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Ed,  welcome back!  The site has been quiet with out you.   I got a couple of boxes of stuff with that Kitfox 4 from Texas, and although most of the stuff isn't of much use, this helicoil set was in there and looked like it's never been used.  Why didn't I find it before??  :-)  No doubt I saw it other times, but I didn't have any need for it then.  Oh well.... JImChuk

1 person likes this