Push Those Pedals!

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Okay Guys.  I may be the tallest Avid owner/pilot at 6’ 5”.  Let’s just say things are tight, especially with feet/leg position.  I need your help on options to get more legroom!

I see limited gains from changing the seat alone and adding domes in the Lexan above my head, I think I really need to look at pushing my rudder pedals forward with clean modifications.  

My project Model C is planned for the 582.   The basic exhaust may limit firewall modifications....

What have have you guys seen as options? Does anybody know anyone who has modified both firewall and airframe to push the pedals forward?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Posted (edited)

Okay Guys.  I may be the tallest Avid owner/pilot at 6’ 5”.  Let’s just say things are tight, especially with feet/leg position.  I need your help on options to get more legroom!

I see limited gains from changing the seat alone and adding domes in the Lexan above my head, I think I really need to look at pushing my rudder pedals forward with clean modifications.  

My project Model C is planned for the 582.   The basic exhaust may limit firewall modifications....

What have have you guys seen as options? Does anybody know anyone who has modified both firewall and airframe to push the pedals forward?

I know at one time Kitfox extended some of the cabin tubes to put the firewall about 1" farther away from the seat tubes.  I don't see why you couldn't extend the tubes in front of the forward door frames to do the same for as much as you need.  You would also have to extend your rudder cables.  And put more slant on the windshield, like Kitfox did on the model 4, and maybe extend your cowl like Jim Chuk "1avidflyer" did by using a separate boot cowl.  This will change your W/B, so you may have to add more weight aft.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

This post on TKF may not address your specific concern, but it explains how moving the mounting bracket back changes the rudder pedal angle and makes it easier to stay off the brakes (see post #32). It seems somewhat counterintuitive, but actually makes sense and for a good solution. I have long legs and my knees will still be in my lap, but I believe this approach will help keep my toes off the brakes. And there's lots of other good rudder pedal info in this post.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=508&highlight=Pedal+geometry

2 people like this

Posted

Let's FaceTime call and I'll show you what I've done to mine. I'm 6'3" and wear a 14 shoe. There's a lot that can be done. Send me your contact info. Bryce

Posted

Wonder if you could just cut your floor out where your heals sit. Cover with a few small bumbs underneath.

Posted

Guys, many thanks for the responses!  Having read Post #32 of the link below, I am trying to understand what geometry this results in.  I'll give it a more thorough read and see if it becomes more clear.

This post on TKF may not address your specific concern, but it explains how moving the mounting bracket back changes the rudder pedal angle and makes it easier to stay off the brakes (see post #32). It seems somewhat counterintuitive, but actually makes sense and for a good solution. I have long legs and my knees will still be in my lap, but I believe this approach will help keep my toes off the brakes. And there's lots of other good rudder pedal info in this post.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=508&highlight=Pedal+geometry

Posted

Let's FaceTime call and I'll show you what I've done to mine. I'm 6'3" and wear a 14 shoe. There's a lot that can be done. Send me your contact info. Bryce

Bryce- I would welcome the chance to FaceTime with you and see what you suggest ! -  I am having trouble sending a private message via the forum w/ my contact info.  Look for a PM soon.

1 person likes this

Posted

PW my phone #is (615)294-0214

Posted

Bryce would know for sure how to make an Avid fit a bigger guy, and maybe cutting the floorboards for heel pockets is something he has done, but a friend did this is his plane and it made a big difference in foot and toe room. After cutting the floorboards he replaced the "hole" with an aluminium foot well that gives almost an inch in additional foot room. He had to work around a diagonal tube in the floorboard area, but was very successful at gaining additional room. It's just one thing, but it all adds up!

2 people like this

Posted

If you have the sling seat attach the back bottom of seat as far back as you can (if you haven't already).  A couple of inches can make a difference.

1 person likes this

Posted

Many thanks Bryce for the FaceTime walk around.  Several good ideas and agree a couple inches will make a big difference. 

If you have the sling seat attach the back bottom of seat as far back as you can (if you haven't already).  A couple of inches can make a difference.

Definitely going to give this a try.  Will sit it back and low just enough that it doesn’t drag in the control rod.