Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

LSA Repairman Course

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm happy to announce this year's dates and information for the Light Sport Repairman course offered by our college. 

For general information, please refer to this link: https://sites.google.com/a/email.vccs.edu/brcc-aviation-maintenance/light-sport

Tuition costs are based on 5 credit hours and state of residence:  http://www.brcc.edu/classes/tuition/tuition-rates/index.html

Registration began the 19th of March and response has been very strong. We have approximately seven seats still available. https://apply.vccs.edu/oa/launch.action

If you desire more information regarding registration process or administrative questions, please contact Melissa McElveen at (540) 453-2224 or 'McElveenM@brcc.edu' 

If you have any questions regarding the program in general please feel free to contact me at (540) 453-2508 or 'dennisk@brcc.edu'

Posted

Am I missing something? According to the link provided, your tuition cost is ~$2,000 for non-resident if I understand correctly. Pretty sure it was the same certification I recall pricing at Rainbow a few years back for ~$500?

Posted (edited)

I've always been confused with this certification...  does it allow you to do your own CI's but only on an S-LSA or E-LSA but not E-AB?

Which means I'm an owner of an E-AB without the RC and therefore am SOL

:)

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

I've always been confused with this certification...  does it allow you to do your own CI's but only on an S-LSA or E-LSA but not E-AB?

Which means I'm an owner of an E-AB without the RC and therefore am SOL

:)

Correct (at least for the E-AB part).  To perform the condition inspection on an E-AB certified aircraft, you must be a licensed A&P.  Note that an IA is not required, just an A&P.

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

There are two certifications that tend to get confused, the following should help.

BTW... :soapbox:

I am seriously considering doing the LSA Repairman Inspection Airplane certification while at OSH this year (tuition $400, anyone else in?). I plan on moving my Aerotrek from SLSA to ELSA because the the Rotax requirement for an iMRT to do EVERYTHING on an SLSA (including oil and plug changes and even lowering your idle screw 100rpm!) is not just ridiculous, it's punitive and cost prohibitive. There are only two with the proper Rotax credentials in NY, and both are HOURS way. A 2hr flight for an oil change? Or if I have a problem that prevents flying, dragging it across state and back on a trailer? What if I have to leave it... that's another X-state drive.

C'mon Rotax! :bigfinger:

The LSA Repairman: Maintenance or Inspection Rating?

The Light-Sport Rule establishes a new repairman certificate with two ratings (Ref: 14 CFR §65.107): Inspection and Maintenance.

There is only one repairman certificate, but two ratings: The “repairman (light sport) with an Inspection rating” (LSRI) and the “Repairman (light-sport aircraft)—Maintenance rating.” (LSRM) The inspection rating is available by attending a 16 hour, two day repairman course. The maintenance rating is only available by attending a much longer 80-120 hour Repairman course.

Experimental Light Sport Aircraft

As a sport pilot flying an ELSA for pleasure, you only need the 16 hour inspection course. Classes are normally schedule on the weekend and offered across the country Successful completion of  the LSA Repairman Inspection course, allows you to apply for an FAA Repairman Certificate for any  Experimental Light Sport Aircraft  which you own or one you purchase  in the future. (Note: this does not apply to Experimental Amateur Built)  Once the aircraft is listed on your repairman certificate, you are allowed to do the condition inspection each year. You do not have to be the builder. You simply have to have successfully completed the 16 hour training course for LSA Repairman Inspection in the assigned “class” of the selected course (airplane, weight shift, powered parachute, glider, gyroplane, or lighter-than-air). There is no expiration date on the certificate of course completion. You do not need to currently own an ELSA.

(There isn’t any authorization required to perform the maintenance on experimental aircraft.) However, if you fly two different class of aircraft, say, airplane and weight shift, then you will have to take one 16 hour inspection course for weight shift and another 16 hour inspection course for airplane.

The good news: There are no renewal requirements for your certificate, once you earn it, and there are no limits on how many aircraft in the select class you may own. Additionally, all maintenance is already allowed. There is no requirement for a repairman certificate to perform maintenance on your E-LSA. This is important because after your ELSA is certificated you  will have one year until you need to have completed the required repairman inspection course. (It is easy to schedule a 16 hour inspection course at your location. Rainbow Aviation travels with the course based on demand.)

Special Light Sport Aircraft

Owners of a Special Light Sport Aircraft (SLSA) must attend at 15 day workshop (15 day/120 hrs).  Successful completion of the Repairman Maintenance Rating allows you to perform the maintenance, the annual condition inspection, and the 100 hour inspections (required only for aircraft used for hire)  on any Special Light Sport Aircraft and or any Experimental Light Sport Aircraft in the assigned “class” of the selected Course. This is an FAA approved workshop and an FAA certificate is issued after successful completion. You do not have to own the aircraft. You do not even need to be a pilot and you may charge for your services.

Unlike the Repairman-Inspection rating, a person with the Repairman-Maintenance rating can perform maintenance and inspections on anyone’s S-LSA or E-LSA and charge for his/her services. For this reason, he is sometimes referred to as a “Sport Mechanic.” There are no prerequisites for thetraining course. In fact, a Repairman with a Maintenance rating need not even be a pilot. Additionally, the repairman may also keep a portfolio of his work and apply for authorization to take the A&P written and practical exams for general aviation after working in the field for 30 +months under his/her own supervision.

The LSRM may also serve as a stepping-stone to the DAR (Designated Airworthiness Representative.)

1 person likes this