Flat plates/wingtips/winglets/fences VGs and more

2 posts in this topic

Posted

Fellas,

If you know about wingtips/flat plates/winglets jump in and let us know what you have learned.  We are trying to determine if flat plates on the wingtips would be better than the finch tips or others for STOL not Cruise...

assumptions are that wing area stays basically the same...so same length of wing.

Here is a bit of the previous discussion...please jump in...

Ed,

I may agree with you on the KF tips.  The Avid tips that are actually turned up a bit at the trailing edge suck.  If you ever flew close formation with an avid you would know what I am talking about.  The vortices that come off these wings will damn near roll the trailing plane over if you are not ready for it.  The tips on an avid are really not like a full rib in area.  If you don't have evidence to support what they may do to help then why be so against it?  AS I have said many times before, when I was experimenting with tip designs on my RC models, the flat plate tips did the most good for slowing flight and lessening tip stall tendencies. 

Leni,  I am all for tip experiments.  I hope that someone can give some actual measured comparisons of same plane, same pilot, same weight, same winds, and at least two different tips.  Sounds like the Avid (Finch?) tips that turn up at trailing edge do a better job of shedding the vortexes cleanly away from the wings, making them stronger, (what they are designed for), which should help the performance of that plane even though it affects the one behind it.  Maybe they are not the best for formation flying?  EDMO

Edited 5 hours ago by EDMO

Posted

I have flat plates on my wingtips. Trying to decide if I am going to extend the perimeter of the plates an inch or two past the top and bottom of the wings to create actual fences or just leave as-is. I am not disappointed with flat wingtips at all but don't know if turning them into fences will improve anything so interested in anyone's experience.

1 person likes this