New Rotax 670 Install

116 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't understand why anybody would weld this bolt in. If it is a known rust prone area the bolt should be removed periodically and greased up. Also, an inspection ring should be installed to clean it out on occasion. My Avid has a small uncovered area underneath and right in front of the U channel to get a wrench on the top of the bolt. 

Posted

Because most only plan to build once and are not too concerned about replacement or just don't think ahead. Repeat offenders, oops, I mean repeat builders know the little tips and tricks of the game. 

Posted (edited)

You weld it or glue it in so when you change springs in the field because they break first you don't need to take off the horizontal stabilizer to get your arm in there and try to hold a bolt.  lets be honest the only time that bolt will ever have to be replaces is when you re fabric every 30 years. And your right a simple inspection cover would solve all the issues but you also have to look at them.

Edited by TJay

Posted

Hi TJ, Your right, that bolt will probably last for many years. The big issue for me was the rust that was happening there. This Avid will be on floats here in Southeast Alaska. Landing in the ocean.  I'm sure that area will be subjected to Salt water dousing on a regular basis. I need to be able to inspect that area every year at Annual. 

20230106_153529.jpg

Posted

I bet an Avid on floats will be a blast too. Are you allow you to land on the small water reservoirs in the mountains? I always thought that would be fun.

Posted

I bet an Avid on floats will be a blast too. Are you allow you to land on the small water reservoirs in the mountains? I always thought that would be fun.

Posted

In Alaska we still have more freedom than the lower 48 states. I can land most anywhere I want to. 

1 person likes this

Posted

TJay

You betcha

667675FC-4723-4636-9B35-9D9486989A29.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

TJay

You betcha

1 person likes this

Posted

It's been a while since I posted the Avid progress. The Randy Moore gear legs are installed and look awesome! The Desser 27.5x10x8 tires are just huge and look very aggressive! I fabricated another clamp for the dual tailwheel springs. They were 1 1/4 wide so I had to fit a u shaped spacer. I may have to adjust the bend in the springs for a proper angle for the tailwheel. I noticed the the holes on the bottom of the rudder horn are  elongated from the tailwheel springs. Something else to fix! I still need to finish the brake lines and bleed the system. I will be using silicone brake fluid as it is available here at NAPA. The engine installation is all but done. Just waiting on some more fire sleeve and final look over.

20230117_153852.jpg

20230117_154042.jpg

20230117_162129.jpg

20230117_162151.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

I think you are going to love the 27 inch Dessers. I have the 22 850s and they are amazing. SO much softer, smoother and lighter that the standard 850 ribbed. Not even close! And they are holding up incredibly well! The price is right too.

Posted

Is that fluid going to be compatible with your brake seals?  Your local FBO will have the right stuff.

Posted

Here is a couple of pics of the engine. 

20230118_162544.jpg

20230118_162612.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Silicone brake fluid is approved by Matco for their brakes. It's also cheaper than the Mil Spec stuff.

1 person likes this

Posted

Silicone brake fluid is approved by Matco for their brakes. It's also cheaper than the Mil Spec stuff.

Great point. Also, 5606 is really kerosene, highly flammable. Silicone is not flammable.

Posted

Good to know,