Shock Cord /Bungee cord

8 posts in this topic

Posted

It's time to replace the bungee (shock) cord on my Fat Avid. It's what the original builder installed and it's getting soft. I have two problems....maybe no problems if someone here has the answer :-)

I called Aircraft Spruce and they no longer carry mil spec shock cord (the good stuff) off a spool. They only sell prefabricated mil spec rings and garden variety bungee cord.

I don't have shock cord size nicopress fittings (or tool) to make the Bungees up myself.

When I had my MKIV I ordered them from Steve Winder and received nicely made up mil spec bungees ready to install.

Where can I find them made up or find the raw mil spec bungee stock?

Thanks! 

Chris

Posted

Google mil-c-5651d type 1, you'll probably need to make them to length.

Posted

type in 06-12400  in the search box of aircraft spruce and it should come up with the mil spec 3/8" bungee I bought last summer for mine. I just tried and it still comes up but you might double check. I didn't swag mine but used the wire tying method. If you seach the site it will come up.

Mark

Posted (edited)

Jim Chuk posted some info on replacing bungees some time back - I think he said to order them in 19 or 23 foot lengths, (BUT don't go by what I say), and you would have a foot or so left to pull on and cut off when finished.   Maybe this was enough for 2?   I don't know where the post is.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Here is one set of posts on bungee replacement.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Her is another post: (and I can confirm the right chock cord is still in stock a Aircraft Spruce in Eu... By the foot)

Posted

Thanks!

I LOVE this site and you guys are awesome! 

Chris

1 person likes this