Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid Flyer Seats

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I am curious as to what was in the plane originally. I have not been able to come up wit any info.

Posted

Most likely would have been a sling seat.  That is a cloth and foam seat that ties off to the seat truss and the cross bar at shoulder height.  There are a couple of ties as well at the back/ bottom of the seat to keep it in place.   Kitfox used fiberglass seats, but I think the sling seat is more comfortable, as well as being adjustable.  JImChuk

Posted

a complete interior of avid C , i 'm little proud having new interior from 28 years ago :) was the "commuter" option i guess

IMG_3117.thumb.jpg.9e19fa69d6f6a2805acf1

the sling seat :

IMG_3118.thumb.jpg.212885048b35744b71eac

Posted

The early model seats were the brown sling seats with 2” yellow foam. I put conform foam in the pilots side of mine. 

34381454-DA0C-426D-A8A0-89EB74D44C86.jpeg

Posted

i put conform foam in the pilots side of mine. 

Did you like it, I have enough pieces of  confoam to do both sides bottom and back

Posted

Made a huge difference. It’s heavy though which is why I didn’t do the whole seat.

Posted

Thanks for the pics... Came up with a good plan...1/8 lexan and para cord

Posted

Where does one find sling seats?  Can you find the material and make them or are they made of a special cloth?  Maybe the fabric shop.

Posted

This is what a buddy of mine did on his Avid A model.  It was a bit of work, but it did the job.  JImChuk

Photo0744.jpg

Photo0745.jpg

Posted

Thanks, that looks easy to do.  Looks time consuming but it could be fun.  Thanks

Posted

Fisher's upholstery, 661 Beacon Light Rd, Eagle, Idaho, 83616 tel:208-939-6513 made the sling seats for the Avid.  They still have the patterns and can make one up for you.  Dunno the price, though.

Posted

i would like to take up this topic. how do you tie the seats properly? in the lower, rear part where the butt sits there is a pole. what is it for? does it have to be attached to the frame somewhere?

Posted

Yes it ties back to the tubing in the center that holds the mixer controls.  Maybe at the ends of that back tube as well.   I'll try to remember today and get some pictures of mine.  JImChuk

Posted

My eat is just tied off in the center.  It's worked for over 600 hrs like this.  JImChuk

Avid seat tie back.jpg