Super STOL XL build

30 posts in this topic

Posted

Okay, I have to ask.  Why make it removable?  Handles to roll around in the baggage area, short spuds sticking out of the fabric, I don't understand.

Posted

Okay, I have to ask.  Why make it removable?  Handles to roll around in the baggage area, short spuds sticking out of the fabric, I don't understand.

Reckon 'removable' was so the handle(s) are absent while covering, then bolted on and left in place. I'm just taking a stab at it, since guessing is kind of fun sometimes! :)

Posted

When your are installing the fabric, you have two pieces of fabric meeting on the longeron.  A simple cut and round hole and the fabric fits around the tubes.  Same for the other piece of fabric.  usually bottom first and then the sides.  If you are using envelopes, of course then it's all different.  I do have to say that I like the Avid handles way better than the Kitfoxes  which are on the top of the fuselage.  JImChuk

Agree - Kitfox handles are almost useless when wings are folded.  EDMO

Posted (edited)

Yes, removable for covering, and other things.

I used one piece of fabric from top center stringer to bottom center stringer. Saved almost $1000 in oratex. Doing it that way put the handle in the “middle” of the fabric.

the way the fabric stretches when you “stretch” it around the frame makes any hole problematic, bigger the hole the bigger the problem.

Edited by BDA
1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Mr, you making more progress?  I am looking forward to checking out your project next week at the meeting!  Need to bend you ear about having a couple parts machined too.

:BC: