Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving wings east to west

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone,

I really am interested in buying a set of Catalina wings but.....they are in Batesville, Indiana. I am on the west coast up in Vancouver. I have inquired about shipping cost and the price is pretty hefty..3400-4200us not including the crates (that is shipping only in usa, not across the border)....Me driving the round trip is a 8-10 days endeavour (1500us fuel+food+ motel etc). Flying in / driving back a rental same price..

Does anyone have a suggestion or idea in regards of shipping/moving aircraft parts across the US??

I really appreciate your suggestions at this point

Cheers, Laurent

weight-and-balance.jpg

Edited by flywise
added image

Posted (edited)

I believe there is a website called uship.com or something like that where you can advertise for someone to haul your stuff across country.  Might be worth looking into.  The price you got seems real high, if you could find some one going that way with space, it should be way less than that I would guess.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted (edited)

How about one of the Nationwide furniture moving companies - "United Van Lines?" - If there was an 18 wheeler going from Indiana to Seattle, or Vancouver, and had room on his load, that might be a possibility?  Dispatchers know where all the trucks are coming from and where going to.  They pack good too.  Just a thought.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ouch there is only about 2000 dollars in materials to build a new set of wings.  The boys here could easily walk you thru building a set with tons of pictures.  Just a thought

Posted (edited)

Ouch there is only about 2000 dollars in materials to build a new set of wings.  The boys here could easily walk you thru building a set with tons of pictures.  Just a thought

Kitfox wings are only a foot shorter and the tips are better, and lots more of them around. IMO.   But, I agree with TJay - Vancouver, Bellingham or Seattle should have tubing suppliers and wood ribs are easy to make - Buy better spar inserts from Just Aircraft, or pay more from Kitfox.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
2 people like this

Posted

I've put a few large items out for bid on uShip, including aircraft and tractors. Ever since that cable show 'Shipping Wars' came out these guys got drunk with self induced celebrity status and put out stupid high quotes. I dunno, maybe it's settled down now. I did catch a couple good back hauls, I think that's the key to these shippers. They won't move unless they get paid but if they are headed to a rich haul and only need to divert slightly they will often pick up your stuff for a discount just to put some fuel in the tank. Might also try the Roadie phone app or, if you don't do apps, https://www.roadie.com. I've used Roadie to get some fairly large stuff moved and you can request enclosed hauls if you want. I've also found a driver posting on the tractor hauling schedule at http://www.yesterdaystractors.com but there are others.

Posted

Thank you everyone for your valuable inputs.

The one of the many I tried was Uship....I will look into roadie.com for a quote. Also worth mentioning is that the wings being very fragile they mut be put in relatively solid crates to be shipped (I have read of many shipping companies who don't care and do damage)  and that makes it fairly big ....hence the high price I guess. I probably will end up building a set of wings as tjay suggested. 

Anyhow if any of you is driving across let me know :)

Cheeeeers

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey,

Last year i ship my aircraft parts from california to new york. I have searched varies methods to transport it. Most of the forums are suggesting me to do so using a vehicle transporting company. Then i do so using Citizenshipper vehicle transportation. I post my work on it and chose one of the bid from many to do my work and then they came to my residence and they do packing of my goods and ship it to my desired location. 

So this can work for you also.