My new Avid Magnum Tricycle

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello Everyone

Just want to let everyone know I am the proud new owner of an Avid Magnum.  I picked up this Magnum in August 2017.  It was originally in Nogales Arizona.  It is now in Beautiful Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada.  Just waiting on getting it inspected by MD-RA  Ministers Delegate Recreational Aircraft.  I got clearance and approval prior to importing but still need it inspected.  Then ... flying lessons and the adventures will begin.  It is currently in a tricycle configuration but can be changed to tail dragger.  14 gallon inboard wing tanks plus optional 5 gallon wing tip fuel tanks ... total + 38 gallons.  I have a set of Avid skis ... just need a nice set of amphibious flaots ... hopefully that will happen in the not to distant future.   I think I will install a BRS as well.

This was one of the two Avid Magnum factory demonstrators s/n 04M this one was set up to show case the tricycle configuration.  The other Avid factory demonstrator was blue and silver and was in tail dragger set up.

0-360 160 hp lycoming

Will keep ya all posted once my flying lessons start.

Enjoy the photos.  : )

20170820_183013.jpg

20170819_124445.jpg

20170819_124226.jpg

1994 Yellow Magnum (7).jpg

1994 Yellow Magnum (4).jpg

IMG_3889.jpg

IMG_3888.jpg

1994 Yellow Magnum (1).jpg

20170910_140640.jpg

20170910_122000.jpg

20170910_121857.jpg

20170910_121840.jpg

20170820_183026.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Brian, that Magnum looks very nice, congratulation. I also have imported an Avid Catalina from the US, went through all the MD-RA procedure. If you need any input don't hesitate to contact me. 

Also on another note, make sure you install the wing braces (leading edge/spar to lower strut fitting) when you tow your Avid as you could twist/damage the wings otherwise....Look at my braces when I tow mine..

Call me if you're around Vancouver:)

Cheeeers, LaurentP1090580_(1280x720).thumb.jpg.17c7683e1f

2 people like this

Posted

Welcome to the Magnum club!!! Nice looking plane! 

Posted

Very nice airplane. I only see one problem it looks to me like in order to get yourself a airplane you need to give your wife a paver side walk and driveway, now that's a lot of work. ;)

Posted

Hello Gang

Laurent - Yes, I need to get those braces made.  The leading edge tube was temporarily braced when it was transported.   The entire plane was put in shrink wrap and put on a flat bet trailer and brought up from Arizona.

LOVE your Catalina.  I wish I didn't sell my Catalina kit (s/n 148 AB), still kicking myself for that decision.  I should have just put it in storage in the Garage.  YES, if I ever get out to BC I will look you up.  Love to check out the Catalina.  The last time I emailed Casey Curtis (a few years ago) he said he had another complete Catalina kit in a storage container, I think I have a picture of it ... hmmmm ... maybe I can get my hands on another kit? lol    I believe he said it was kit s/n 174, apparently the last Catalina kit Avid produced.

Barry -  THANK YOU, I agree, GREAT looking Magnum.

TJay - LOL that is only a small amount of lockstone.  Over the past 3 summers I've gone through 14 pallets of pavers plus made 3 raised flower beds.  Preped all the ground, hauled all the gravel and sand and cut every single stone that needed cutting.   What you see there is for the end of the patio and the sidewalk on the East side of the house.  That will be the last of the lockstone and next springs project.

Over the winter I am focusing on getting the final inspection from MD-RA done on the Magnum.   For now she is safe and sound all folded up and out of the elements in the Garage at work.  Also, hoping to start flying lessons over the winter / spring ... just waiting on the flight school to open.  They said soon.

Brian

Posted (edited)

That nosedragger will make flying school a lot easier - Once you have all the kinks out of flying, then the training for taildragger wil come easier.  Mine was the other way around - had to fight landings along with learning to fly in TDs - Nosedragger training was a no-brainer, but still drag the tailskid a lot.  ;<)   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hey Brian, ....at first I was going to buy a Avid magnum too because of the "3rd seat" option. I found one on full lotus floats in ontario, had a look and a flight and decided for the Catalina instead. It is quite funny, our choices are the same..just opposite.

My (Casey's) Catalina is actually 147AB and not 174....so yours was one s/n later. Do you know what has happened to your kit? Is it finished now?

If you wish to discuss in detail the CAT vs Magnum on floats let me know.

cheeeeers, Laurent

Posted

Beautiful Brian, nice to see another Magnum on site. Even better to see another piece of early Avid history being used and enjoyed as it should be. Being on water you need a float plane! On another note, I too am curious if you ever heard anything further from the Cat kit buyer after your reply to his email? What an odd situation, he got a great deal and I was quite ready to step in had he responded to my offer.

Posted

Hello dholly

Nope, not a word from the buyer of my Catalina.  I should have held on to that bird ... it was in perfect shape.  ALL the bits and pieces were there.

Same here,  I'd offer him $1,000 more than he paid me just to buy it back.  Duh ... live and learn i guess.  No worries, my energies and focus is getting my private pilot licence and the Magnum flying ... that will be FUN!   I still have the building BUG ... I want to build and fly a plane so for now the Airdale stays safe in storage.  Most likely I'll keep working on it slowly as I learn to fly the Magnum.

Brian

Posted

Brian,

Congrats!!! Beautiful Magnum...glad you are one of us now...

Ron

Posted

Hello to all and the MAGNUM GANG.

GOOD NEWS ... I FINALLY started my flying lessons.  It is so much fun Fun FUN and I am having a BLAST despite the bad weather, fog, low ceiling, WIND.  

I got tired of waiting for the flight school to open in Thunder Bay so I decided to book lessons at Spectrum Airways in Burlington Ontario, only a thousand miles away.   During these first 10 days the weather hasn't cooperated very well but I have 3 days of flying in, two more days scheduled before I head home.  I'm booked to return for one week in September and 2 more weeks in October and 2 weeks in November.

I have been doing a LOT of research and reading about home sims.  I know it is NOT the REAL thing but there seems to be strong support for their benefits.  I'm setting one up when I get home so I can practice.  Better than couch flying with my notes and text books.

I have a Saitek yoke, rudder pedals, radio and nav stack, and a few other peripherals to help with the realism.  The biggest draw back is no motion associated with the input.  It should really help with muscle memory with respect to sequence of things and procedures.

BONUS, no instructor fees or aircraft rentals and I am not weather dependent when I sim fly.

I will be using x-plane 11 and will be flying the same aircraft I fly here ... Cessna 152.

I will also be able to set up and adjust the weather, traffic, radio work etc

ALL GOOD PRACTICE, until I get back here to do some REAL flying.

As Steve from Flight Chops says "PRACTICE  REVIEW  IMPROVE"

http://flightchops.com/

I will keep the group posted as I progress through my flight training towards my PPL. 

Wishing you all blue skys and light winds.  Fly safe.

Best regards 

Brian

Avid Magnum s/n  04M