Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

smaller tires???

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I just bought this 2000 model IV classic Kitfox with a 503. IT has fairly new 21x122x8 King fox tires. I know from flying tundra  tires in Alaska if you operate on asphalt it really wears them out so I am looking for advice...This  plane has the Douglas 8" rims with the 3 disc locks welded on and matco hydralic brakes so I want to try to keep with all this.. If I can find a spare set of 8" rims with those locks welded on, or if anyone knows who can do it( the welding part) and then I would like to install smaller tires like the original kitfox tires. They were not much smaller and best I can tell they were ATV tires with the knobs ground off??? I just dont want to wear out these new tires while I learn to fly this machine.Later ifI want to go of field I might put them back on. I am trying to avoid replacing the whole wheel brake set  up. Any and all  advice welcome. I field approved a new set of Alaska bush wheels on a Cessna 207 in 1995 and in one season they were worn down tothe cord and ruined. Plus I dont need all lthe drag from big tires right now as I will mainly be hopping from airport to airport in Western Washington....I still have money in the bank so if anyone has something they think might work for me, wheels mainly but will consider everything, email me or call exfaa@outlook.com

or call 907-378-9632  Mark Smith Davenport Washington

Thanks, Mark  SMith

7 Left Front..JPG

Edited by zadwit
outdated, sold plane

Posted

The ATV tires are very cheap and wear better than bush wheels do.  link

The Douglass wheels and discs are rare as chicken teeth.

Posted

Wow, it seems like lately, everytime I see these tires they are cheaper than the time before.  I paid $100 for 2 of them with free shipping in July, and thought I got a good deal.  Guess I should have waited.  I haven't put them on anything yet.  Figured to put them on the Kitfox 4 when it's done.  I have a set on the Avid Flyer now.  JImChuk

Posted

Here is another option for smaller tires.  Maybe you can find a set of Avid Flyer wheels.  They will fit on the Kitfox axels.  If my memory is right, the Kitfox axels stick out about 3/8" longer than the Avid ones do.  If you use more washers under the axel nut, it will work.  If it's the other way around, then you would have to push the axels out that extra 3/8" redrill them and rebolt in the new position, and use more washers if you put the Kitfox wheels back on.   JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Matco also makes 6" wheels - the question I would ask them is if the brake calipers will work with both sizes - maybe have to change disks?  I've got a set of Matco 6" wheels, calipers, disks and axles I would take $400 + shipping for.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Matco also makes 6" wheels - the question I would ask them is if the brake calipers will work with both sizes - maybe have to change disks?  I've got a set of Matco 6" wheels, calipers, disks and axles I would take $400 + shipping for.   EDMO

But, I am not removing the 21" Carlyle tires from them - you can use them or replace them with some 600x6 tires.   EDMO