How to keep the Catalina alive

36 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

"Was going to do that with my son till he decided heroin was more fun than building parts and making a business go."

OMG - The only outcome to that is jail or death, or both!  Wife's extended family has been going thru some of that.  I cant say how much I hate it!  EDMO

he is in jail now.  Hopefully for a very long time. 

:BC:

Best bet - maybe saved his life?  I've got one to worry about too - but not much I can do 4000 miles away!  EDMO

Just repeated this accidently.  They make Choices!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

All,

When I acquired the company at the end of the summer, I was so excited and couldn’t wait any longer to share the news about Avid’s revival. Had I known there would be so much backlash already, I would have waited until things progressed further before opening my mouth.

As stated before, this is a start-up that is going to take some time to get going. I am not a millionaire investor nor do I have other people or companies backing me. I dedicate every evening from 4:30 (after I get off work) till 10pm and weekends sorting through files, cleaning up jigs, remodeling an old shop for Avid’s manufacturing facility, and trying to learn as much as I can about the business as I piece together information on this forum and documentation from the acquisition. My goal is to bring Avid Aircraft back so we all can continue to have reliable parts and give others the opportunity of ownership as well. I am willing to bet that at the end of the day, most of you would say the same. I care about the customers and am interested in the items of discussion on the forum but until I get some other major milestones out of the way, I will have to continue to stay passive on the site unless someone emails me personally. With regards to the unanswered emails, I believe I have answered every email sent through mmendick@avidkitplanes.com. If I haven’t, send me another and yell at me a little so I don’t make the same mistake twice! I noticed I never responded to a message through the forum email and I apologize for that. After I got my business email, I quit checking the forum mail assuming people would contact me through my business email. 

I have the molds for the Catalina as well as weld fixtures. I plan to focus my efforts on the Mark IV until things are running smooth with production before re-introducing the Magnum and Catalina. I anticipate by next Fall I will be able to start on it. The molds for the Catalina will have to be refinished and will require an investment (part of the reason I am waiting). If this is something multiple people are looking for and there is a strong demand, I can certainly look at pulling those molds out earlier than the Fall to try and have fiberglass parts made.

I have no intentions of getting into hot water with Airdale, Kitfox, or the like. If there are any issues, they are welcome to email me. I don’t know how speculations about legal troubles are already floating around when kits haven’t even been built yet.

I am a young, energetic, and driven to see this great company succeed again. It may start small and take a while, but I would rather do it right the first time and not rush into uncertainty. If you would like to talk to me personally about issues, send an email or I can even give you a call. I hope this message finds you all well and I look forward to your input.

Thank you!

Mark Mendick

7 people like this

Posted

Mark, I feel completely confident saying that, to a person, everyone here wishes you nothing but success in regards to your' Avid venture. Obviously, the cat IS out of the bag. That's by your own admission, LOL! I would strongly suggest that you make a commitment to yourself to check in here once a week, regardless of whatever else is going on. That is the only way to keep the rumor mill in check. When people hear nothing, all that is left is supposition. Besides, with the wealth of Avid specific knowledge on tap here, you could end up with one heck of a 'support group'.

Best wishes,

Jon

2 people like this

Posted

:biker2:This is simply the best news and also hope that we can do whatever to help. 

Posted (edited)

Mark,  I am certain that us Kitfox (Avid Clone) drivers are very hopeful for your success - Who knows, maybe someday we will own a "real one"!  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Mark, thanks for the reply here!  Sometimes the only way to keep speculation in check is to make the statements yourself.  Too many times we have seen or heard of fantastic news from others who have tried to start up then they go silent on us.. So far, that has not turned out to be a good thing.  WE all hope for the best with you and want to see you successful in this.  This is one of the largest groups you can talk with as far as promoting the new Avid, I can promise we will get the word out to potential new buyers.

Awesome news that you have the molds for the Catalina!!

What do you think of starting a new subforum on here where people can post the questions for you in one single thread and hopefully you can have the time to answer them once or so a week, even if its nothing more than to reply and tell us your still working on this and hope to be up and running soon :dunno:

1 person likes this

Posted

Mark- very happy to hear that you have the molds for the Catalina.  Every time I look at or research other airplanes, it just drives home what a one-of-a-kind bird the Catalina is. 

Jim

Catalina #157

1 person likes this

Posted

I would love to have a new subforum. I can also post updates and pictures of the progress at the shop! If someone can set that up, it would be a great resource.

3 people like this

Posted

We should call the subgroup “Fireside with Mark “The Resurector” Mendick”

Posted

IMO, if you want a new Catalina kit, buy a Sea Ray. 

I talked to the original builder of my amphib.  He sold it and bought a sea ray thinking that very thing.  He did not like the sea ray at all and said he would much rather have the catalina back.  He sold the Sea ray.

Damn, all this talk is getting me wanting to get back to work on my bird.

Interesting Akflyer.

Did he say why he preferred the Catlina over the Searay?

Posted

IMO, if you want a new Catalina kit, buy a Sea Ray. 

I talked to the original builder of my amphib.  He sold it and bought a sea ray thinking that very thing.  He did not like the sea ray at all and said he would much rather have the catalina back.  He sold the Sea ray.

Damn, all this talk is getting me wanting to get back to work on my bird.

Interesting Akflyer.

Did he say why he preferred the Catlina over the Searay?

better performance off the water and hauled a bigger load as well as overall more fun to fly.