My mk4

110 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I looked at mine for hours before I had it covered and I thought a bought half way between the turtle deck and the tailwheel would be the least amount of tubing I really think it would only take about a day to complete it. At this point I wish I would have done it but maybe on the next one. Need to head down to ED's house and buy another project or two Ha

THREE PROJECTS!   And 2 sheds full of parts.   Bring truck, trailer, help and cash!  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I thought I posted some pics of the cut location and added tubing measures after OSH this year?

Posted

I thought I posted some pics of the cut location and added tubing measures after OSH this year?

Yes Doug,  I believe you posted photos and a link too - Guess a search of Fuselage Stretch might find them?  EDMO

Posted

Best I could do, I'm too beat from fighting 5 acres of leaves today to search it up. :BC:

Posted (edited)

Best I could do, I'm too beat from fighting 5 acres of leaves today to search it up. :BC:

Me too - Chemo, but not from leaves - I mowed 90% of them yesterday and have 90% leaves on yard again today - Storms and cold/snow coming too. 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Doug,  I looked for fuselage stretch posts, and find where you talked about it, but nothing showed up for drawings and such.  If you can find that info, can you post it up?  JImChuk

Posted

Working on motor mount for Yamaha, I think Teal said level prop flange with fire wall, what should I use for the  water line? Fire wall and door sill / elevator are different. I  am going with 3 degree to the port.

Posted

Working on motor mount for Yamaha, I think Teal said level prop flange with fire wall, what should I use for the  water line? Fire wall and door sill / elevator are different. I  am going with 3 degree to the port.

my kf5 firewall is parallel to the fuse.

I went 4 deg left and zero up/down (level using cyl head top)

But I wont tell you how great it is until I fly it!  Lol!

Posted

my kf5 firewall is parallel to the fuse.

I went 4 deg left and zero up/down (level using cyl head top)

But I wont tell you how great it is until I fly it!   Lol!

Bottom of fuse is a lot different than fire wall. When I level below seat fuse the fire wall is about 1 in out of plumb, Maybe go with the average?:BC:

Posted

I believe you are talking about 2 different airplanes.  An Avid MK IV and a Kitfox 5 may be quite a bit different in the angel of the firewall, one to the other.  JImChuk

Posted

Exactly jim.

The avid guys are the ones to listen to on this.  Jared i would post a new topic with the question of engine angle on the avid model you have.

The way I did it on my kf is how the subaru was set up as a factory fwf kit.  You would want to come up with a way to convert that to how avid does it

Posted (edited)

Rock Crawler, Nice work may as well go a bit further and stretch it.

Where would you make the cuts lots of angles

There are some posts about the Fuselage Stretch posted.  I don't know how much info is there.  I think it really makes a difference if you are going with any engine heavier than a 582.   There was also an added tube underneath that takes the curve out of the back part and strengthens it.   EDMO

My C model was ordered from the factory with straight longerons or "tubes".  Frankly I think it looks better.  Have no idea what the point of the curved longeron was. Better rudder authority?  Who knows.

IMG_1165.JPG

Edited by allonsye
1 person likes this

Posted

More progress

WIN_20171208_210207.JPG

WIN_20171208_210334.JPG

WIN_20171208_210253.JPG

WIN_20171208_211407.JPG

WIN_20171208_211436.JPG

2 people like this

Posted

Got that sled all ripped apart... and that pesky clutch off!  

Now for the fun part!  

Posted

Got that sled all ripped apart... and that pesky clutch off!  

Now for the fun part!  

With the right tool the clutch came off in about 30 seconds. I am waiting on my c box from Teal with adapter hopefully this week. Working on cowling mockup and engine mounts to keep me busy. Ordered the radiator yesterday, and will order prop this week. Need to decide on the tires I want, the biggest for the buck 6in rim. 

1 person likes this

Posted

What prop are you intending to use?  JImChuk

Posted

What prop are you intending to use?  JImChuk

I think the Luga 79, hopefully confirming tomorrow. What prop are you running? I should have done a were is woldo in those last pictures. My youngest boy Mitchell is in all but one picture, can you find him?  

1 person likes this

Posted

I currently am running warp drives on my Kitfox 1 and Avid MK IV.  I must like them, I have 3 more of them hanging on the wall.  Two 70" or 71" three blades, LH, and 1 66" 2 blade RH.  

Posted

I could only find waldo in 3/5  lol!

And jim if ya need a 72" lh taper tip for your collection,  fly on  over!

Posted

Wouldn't your 72" work on your Yamaha engine?  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Wouldn't your 72" work on your Yamaha engine?  JImChuk

Yeah, it is not optimum (too short and too much mmoi), but it'll work great as a spare.

Just like Jared, I'm planning on going to the 79" Luga.  Cheap and light = great, but the results steve henry posted (static pulls in the mid to upper 500lb range at realistic flight pitches, and a 600lb pull at a high static rpm test) was what got me sold on it.

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

Oh and jared, I talked to steve this morning amd he said he is too swamped with stuff right now to consider making us airboxes.

So I guess we are down to the snowmo airbox or a DIY approximation of what he makes.

Posted

Oh and jared, I talked to steve this morning amd he said he is too swamped with stuff right now to consider making us airboxes.

So I guess we are down to the snowmo airbox or a DIY approximation of what he makes.

The stock air box weighs 5lbs. Did you or somebody say to run a 135 main jet for sea level

Posted (edited)

Yep.  Mine are 132.5

I'll probably need richer.

135 is what teal runs at near sea level with the snowmo box.  Anyone that runs a custom box needs bigger jets (all the way up to the 180s steve runs)

I'm planning that AFR guage to fine tune.  Also remember that a small change in float level will have a big effect, so if things are not making sense, check that.

https://www.enjukuracing.com/products/aem-wideband-uego-gauge-digital-air-fuel-30-4110-w-bosch-4-9-sensor.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAmb7RBRATEiwA7kS8VHIaHAUFfsUGwe2Y1hsC5rUdLo3vW7PadWjJXiFLDXLzcCbH2SgIThoCPGgQAvD_BwE

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

I have the 147.5 main jets in my set up with the air box, I am at 3000 ft alt.here and that seems to be the happy place. I think it all depends on the design of the box as to what you will need, if we get some snow and cold temps I will be hopefully getting in some more testing soon.

1 person likes this