Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Carb Heat on EA81 Holley/Weber set up

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello, 

Switching from the Rotec TBI 40 to a Holley/Weber on my EA81. ANYONE got some good photos of a working/flying set up? Thanks! 

Posted

I can tell you that my Dave Johnson with Holly 5200 has an angled spacer block between carb and manifold to make the carb sit level - homemade airbox has control for exhaust heat riser pipe.  I have heard that one of the Horizon or similar auto air filter boxes has a temperature controlled valve in the spout of the box that can be altered to work manually - also the height of the box can be cut lower if needed.  Sorry, I don't think I have any good photos right now.  EDMO

Posted

Hello, 

Switching from the Rotec TBI 40 to a Holley/Weber on my EA81. ANYONE got some good photos of a working/flying set up? Thanks! 

why you getting rid of the Rotec tbi 40? Is this item for sale?

Posted

Thanks EDMO, got the block organized and the problem with the car intake filter housings it their size. Just don't want to re-invent the wheel here if someone has already a good and working set up. 

TJay, I (we, Marshawk included) had some issues with the regulator needle valve and seat where fuel would bypass and drown/fuel lock the engine. The newer version has gone to a flat and grooved O-ring vs the older conical/floating O-ring style. Part of this problem was a (new) worn leaking main fuel shut off valve. I've been back and forth with Paul at Rotec on this matter and finally pulled it off to be shipped out for a service/upgrade in Australia. Customs decided they liked it and are still hangin on to it after 6 weeks. I like the TBI but it will not go back onto my Subie.  It will most likely end up on the Corvair, ..if it ever gets back that is. When those TBI's are tuned right they do run great, but make  sure you have the latest or upgraded version. And if you ship anything to the land of AUS make sure the value declared is under 1000.- At this point I'm in the wait and see mode here and even if it comes back I'm not quite ready to give up on it yet. Maybe I'm just to stubborn :-) 

Despite what you might read about Rotec, my experience with them has been very good. 

Posted

Couple of photos from the new manifold, Holley-Weber Carb and Carb heat system. Working with a manual choke and only needing 2psi initial start ups were absolutely the easiest ever and the engine ran smooth. Thus far I adjusted only the idle set screw and I have done several more starts and short runs. No flights yet, since my Johnson Re-Drive is not happy, ..therefore I'm not happy.  Getting noise (stethoscope) from all three bearings and a severe clicking by hand-pulling the prop from the rear main bearing. More to follow. 

IMG_20171012_154914.jpg

IMG_20171016_165719.jpg

IMG_20171023_174812.jpg

Posted (edited)

Is that a water connection I see under the manifold?  Setup looks good.  What does the filter fit?  Dave Johnson gave instructions for repacking the bearing about every 5 years.   I have been looking, but not found them yet.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Just a quick little update here on the upgrades. 10+ hours of fine ski flying was to be had with not a single issue. The belt never moved, the bolts are all tight, it starts and runs better than it ever did with the Rotec TBI. Still a touch on the lean side, but that can be solved with a jetting change. My 68" IVO might be a tad short and in due time there might be an upgrade to a new prop. Or maybe even better, total upgrade firewall forward now that Teal is getting close with his new drive system. 

LangLkBushCaddyCrop.jpg

1 person likes this