Kitfox 4 rebuild

246 posts in this topic

Posted

Well after bringing  it home in a 1500 mile trip, 6 years of on and off rebuilding, Kitfox 4  N# 423GB left the ground this evening for the first time since 2006.  When I got it, it had a Subaru EA81, and weighed 826 lbs.  Now it has a 80 HP Rotax 912, and weighs 645.   I just did a couple short trips around the pattern, but she sure flew nice, and climbed like a home sick angel.  Here are some quick numbers.  I'm at 1500 MSL, and wasn't pushing anything to get the most out of it.   I was off the ground in about 300', climbed at 1000' per minute, cruised at about 5000 rpm doing 90-95 MPH.  And that is without streamlining on the lift struts yet.  I'm sure the numbers will be better then.  I have some videos of the flights, but it will take some time to edit them into something I can put up on utube.  I snapped a couple of pics of my computer screen with the videos on so I could at least post some pictures.  One thing else I learned from the videos, is it took 38 seconds to get from pushing in the throttle to 500' AGL.  Best I think I've ever measured with my Jabiru powered Avid was 42 or 43 seconds.  I did it once in my Avid B model with 532 in 32 seconds, but that plane only weighed 445 lbs.  Anyway, I'm one happy guy this evening.  I'll have to start working on editing the videos soon.  I see I didn't get the date stamp set right on two out of three of the go pros.  JImChuk

Kitfox flight 1.jpg

Kitfox flight 2.jpg

Kitfox flying 3.jpg

Well after bringing  it home in a 1500 mile trip, 6 years of on and off rebuilding, Kitfox 4  N# 423GB left the ground this evening for the first time since 2006.  When I got it, it had a Subaru EA81, and weighed 826 lbs.  Now it has a 80 HP Rotax 912, and weighs 645.   I just did a couple short trips around the pattern, but she sure flew nice, and climbed like a home sick angel.  Here are some quick numbers.  I'm at 1500 MSL, and wasn't pushing anything to get the most out of it.   I was off the ground in about 300', climbed at 1000' per minute, cruised at about 5000 rpm doing 90-95 MPH.  And that is without streamlining on the lift struts yet.  I'm sure the numbers will be better then.  I have some videos of the flights, but it will take some time to edit them into something I can put up on utube.  I snapped a couple of pics of my computer screen with the videos on so I could at least post some pictures.  One thing else I learned from the videos, is it took 38 seconds to get from pushing in the throttle to 500' AGL.  Best I think I've ever measured with my Jabiru powered Avid was 42 or 43 seconds.  I did it once in my Avid B model with 532 in 32 seconds, but that plane only weighed 445 lbs.  Anyway, I'm one happy guy this evening.  I'll have to start working on editing the videos soon.  I see I didn't get the date stamp set right on two out of three of the go pros.  JImChuk

Kitfox flight 1.jpg

Kitfox flight 2.jpg

Kitfox flying 3.jpg

Congratulations Jim !!

2 people like this

Posted

Congrats! That has to feel good 

Posted (edited)

I'm putting up a few more videos of the first flight.  Poor quality, my cheap camera and editing skills come through loud and clear.  Still proof of flight though.  :-)  JImChuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPexhUhyAwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi_Nk6WKhXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw6SMCcaAxo

Edited by 1avidflyer
2 people like this

Posted

Got another short flight in this evening.  The plane sure does fly nice, uses less rudder then the Avid Flyer, that's for sure.  I even have a better view over the nose with it then the Avid.  Sure do like that smooth cowl.  I keep thinking I'm in a descent when I'm straight and level.  I'll get used to it I'm sure.  Here is a view over the nose at my eye level.  I'm about 5'8", but have a bit of a pad on the seat that gets my seat about 1" higher.  Sure climbs good also.  With the Avid I would be about 250 at very  best when I crossed the road I live on which is on the west end of the strip. Tonight I was at 300'  climbing at 60 MPH.  Glad I have the windows in the bottom of the doors.  At least I get some view of what's ahead of me then, cause at 60, all I'm seeing is sky out the front.  JImChuk

flying .jpg

Posted

So whats next? Gonna dive right in to another one or take a break and head where its warm for a while?

Posted

Well I still have a few things to do on this one.  Get some heat in the cockpit, make up streamlined struts, bits and pieces like that.  Then I should finally finish and paint the cowl on the Avid.  Probably eventually I'll want to put it up for sale.  Not sure on the trip down south this winter, Covid and all.  The condo wasn't hurt by the hurricane of a couple of weeks ago, wood fences around the building were blown down, but no damage to the building we stay in anyway.  Place next door had all the vinyl siding pealed off.  Will be a good time to be a small contractor down there for a while.  Lots of roofing and siding jobs to be had.  Not that I'm interested.  Still have another Kitfox 4 and Avid MK IV to finish someday, and waiting for the 503 for the ultralight B1RD to come back from the shop.  No shortage of things to do..... JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Well I still have a few things to do on this one.  Get some heat in the cockpit, make up streamlined struts, bits and pieces like that.  Then I should finally finish and paint the cowl on the Avid.  Probably eventually I'll want to put it up for sale.  Not sure on the trip down south this winter, Covid and all.  The condo wasn't hurt by the hurricane of a couple of weeks ago, wood fences around the building were blown down, but no damage to the building we stay in anyway.  Place next door had all the vinyl siding pealed off.  Will be a good time to be a small contractor down there for a while.  Lots of roofing and siding jobs to be had.  Not that I'm interested.  Still have another Kitfox 4 and Avid MK IV to finish someday, and waiting for the 503 for the ultralight B1RD to come back from the shop.  No shortage of things to do..... JImChuk

Maybe not as good as you think.  Someone mentioned building materials had gone way up.  I looked at the price of a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" OSB.  I paid $8 a sheet 4 or so years ago.  It was almost $28 when I looked a couple of weeks ago!

Posted

Ya, I guess they are high now.  I've seen where some things are hard to get as well.  Fortunatly I have enough materials for one more airplane recover, and that's all I need at the moment.  Maybe I'll get to that project before the cans dry up.  JImChuk

Posted

I got my cabin heater installed yesterday, it's an aluminum heater core that was in the plane when I got it.  I used some computer fans that didn't seem to have much power.  I installed a thermo-bob thermostat as well to keep coolant temps up.  I took the plane up once it was all done yesterday.  Was about 30 degrees out.  Heater did make some difference, but the fans just aren't moving much air.  The heater core is rather restrictive for air movement.  I did order a couple of high speed fans last night, and then I think it will work fine.  We have about 2" of snow on the ground now, supposed to get 3 more today, and about 7" on Thursday.  Looks like the skis will go on before October is over.  Earliest ever before was November 20.  I am liking how the plane flies.  It sure does climb out.  Was showing 1200' per minute climb at 60 MPH.  Usually with the Avid I would be at 230 to 250' when I would cross the road at the end of my strip.  Yesterday with the Kitfox, I was at 400'.  I can't imagine what it would do with 100 HP.  JImChuk

Posted

Thanks Paul.  I ended up ordering two of these computer fans last night, they are each supposed to move 88 cubic feet per minute.  Hope they do it.  I may wire them so I can run one or both depending on how much heat I want.  JImChuk

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283966559175

Posted

Using two fans brings up another question.  I want to use a toggle or rocker switch that is on on either side, and off in the middle.  How can I wire it so one fan turns on with switch to one side, and both fans go on with the switch tipped to the opposite side?  Any suggestions?  I've read a bit about diodes being like a one way valve, what size would be needed if that's the way to go.  I am very electrically challenged.  And not afraid to admit it either!  Thanks,  JImChuk

Posted

Use a DPDT switch like this

fans.png

Posted

Thanks John,  I think I understand that.   I'll order one of those switches.  JImChuk

Posted

Here is something that's hard to believe.  I put in the order for these fans Monday evening at maybe 10 PM.  They shipped from Los Vegas yesterday at 2 PM.  They arrived at my door tonight here in northern Mn at 7 PM tonight.  UPS was the shipper.   Shipping was free, but fans were about 2.50 more then if I had paid for shipping with someone else.  Now my question is, why would this same package have cost me at least $20 to ship to Vegas, and taken twice as long.  I'm happy with the quick service, still can't believe it got here so fast.  At least it beat the 7" of snow we are supposed to get tomorrow.  JImChuk

Posted

Today's efforts.  Hope I didn't forget anything....:wacko:JImChuk

inst pan 6.jpg

Jim, what material did you use for the dash? What is the thickness? What did you use (if anything) to isolate the dash form some vibration? Lord Mounts?

Posted

I used some scrap aluminum that I had.   It's probably about .065" thick.  No isolators and everything stays nice and steady.  No noticeable vibrations from the engine.  JImChuk

PS  funny story of where the aluminum came from.  The last job I ran before I retired from being a construction superintendent was the remodel of a Schwan's  distribution center.  For a while they had used these aluminum and plastic shelves in their trucks, but went to a different system.  They were throwing the shelving away.   I brought some of the stuff home, the aluminum was like a box about a foot square with a center devieder.   3' long as well.  I've made several instrument panels from that stuff, and have plenty of material for more.  I sort of chuckled to myself a week or so back, when a guy on the Team Kitfox site was selling an unused panel from Kitfox for $125.  I see it's sold now as well.   

Posted

I saw that $125 panel on TeamKitfox as well and thought the same. My panel was $57 which included laser cutting, material (0.062" 6061-t6), and shipping to my door.

Posted

John,  were you still looking for a smooth cowl?  There is a guy who is making them for $700.  He hasn't sent me any pictures yet, but his name is John Rogers.  Learned about him on fb.  He has been slow returning messages though.  JImChuk

Posted

John,  were you still looking for a smooth cowl?  There is a guy who is making them for $700.  He hasn't sent me any pictures yet, but his name is John Rogers.  Learned about him on fb.  He has been slow returning messages though.  JImChuk

Thanks Jim.  At this point I think I'm going to stick with the round cowl. I've already repaired the cowl damage and made a new firewall and instrument panel which I believe would have to change for the smooth cowl. Also the engine mount would need some modification. At this point it is the desire to get it back in the air as soon as possible. I'm shooting for this spring to fly and I think I can make it if I stick with the round cowl. Just have to do a little door stuff and then it is ready for fabric on the fuselage. Wasted about 3 weeks figuring out my Garmin autopilot issues. Turned out to be a bum autopilot controller. New one is on the way under warranty and should get here by the time I get the doors squared away to test it before covering.

Posted

Sounds like a plan John.   I do have to say, in my case, the view over the nose is amazing.  But everything that could be done was done to keep everything as low as possible.  My oil tank cover is probably 1/2" below the cowl,  actually that area could have been a bit higher, cause the front of the cowl is a bit higher then it when viewed from the seat.  The view past the round cowl is something I didn't like on my Kitfox 1, and I wouldn't change back to a round nose if I could help it.  But I also understand what you are saying about wanting to get flying again.  Stay busy, and have fun.  JImChuk