Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Spec House Project

14 posts in this topic

Posted

For those of you that are wondering why there is not a Kitfox 1 flying around in Iowa this is why. I finally have the time to build a spec house this winter. This is something I have always wanted to do But I am always busy building for others. So Here is the lot my wife and I bought It has a nice view of the golf course. 

IMG_1741.JPG

IMG_1792(1).JPG

IMG_1815.JPG

2 people like this

Posted

Hangar?

Posted

ha no Just a house on the golf course hopefully for resale 

Posted (edited)

ha no Just a house on the golf course hopefully for resale 

Have you practiced landing on that golf course?  Which hole?  isn't that why there are golf courses?  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Wow, that is some interesting dirt you have around there.  Straight sidewalls on the dig.  Looks like you dug it with the skidsteer??  Nice the way you have the bottom so nice and flat as well.  So much easier to work the forms and such.  All poured out also.   I love the smell of concrete in the morning.  (wish I had $100 for every load I emptied)  You are going to have a fun fall.  Stay busy and beat the winter??  Looks good.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

How about a little education for a machinist from you Home-builders - Just what is a "Spec House"?  Does this mean that all of the houses there are exactly the same?  I have owned several different types of houses and have no idea if any of them were Spec Houses.  Looks E$pensve!   Thanks,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ed,

I believe Spec means Speculative.  He is building the house with no buyer yet, hoping someone will like it after it is built.  For a builder, there is the possibility of making a lot more money than building a house under contract.  There is also the possibilty of losing money.

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Ed,

I believe Spec means Speculative.  He is building the house with no buyer yet, hoping someone will like it after it is built.  For a builder, there is the possibility of making a lot more money than building a house under contract.  There is also the possibilty of losing money.

Mark

Thanks Mark,  I thought it had something to do with the blueprints or materials being Specified by someone in charge of the area.  Your definition makes sense to me.  I may have owned some?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Correct building to sell on the market. Cross your fingers some body will drive by and like it.

Posted

Correct building to sell on the market. Cross your fingers some body will drive by and like it.

Any good jobs around there besides making moonshine to put in the gas tanks?  Maybe some farmer who likes to play golf?  ;<)  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

For those construction boys out there, progress report is the areas that are still white get stone but didn't get that on before it froze hard that's OK May have to shelter it for a week or wait till March, finished insulating yesterday and flipped the heat on. Enjoy the photos. Might work on the Kitfox today.

1223171121.jpg

1223171122.jpg

0107180728.jpg

0107180728a.jpg

0107180729.jpg

0107180730.jpg

0107180730a.jpg

0107180731.jpg

Posted

Looks nice.  

Packed cellulose insulation?  We did that.  Been very happy with it.

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks nice!  I always liked working on houses, although most of our work was commercial construction.  Keep at it :-)  JImChuk

Posted

Love the rock wool insulation - used it on my last project.  Kills noise 1000% better than fiberglass, and much easier to work with.

Mark