Fuel site guage

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I decided to try making a place on the end of the wing to monitor fuel levels instead of trying to mess with sendors and installing another gauge. The builder covered the cabin rib with fabric. I would have to cut out the fabric in the center rib holes on each side to gain access to the end of the wing tanks. My question is.....should I just cut a slot in the fabric or cut all of the fabric out of the center hole? Pictures attached. 

Vance

2017-08-26 15.39.52.jpg

2017-08-26 15.39.20.jpg

2017-08-26 15.38.12.jpg

Posted

I would cut the middle opening.  If the fabric is glued real good to the butt rib, I might cut the fabric right up to the opening.  Should be able to get the paint off the side of the fuel tank so you can see the fuel level using some MEK if polyfiber system was used for paint.  JImChuk

Posted

I had cut the fabric out of my butt rib and put a piece of lexan over it with a few small screws into the butt rib.  I sanded and sort of polished that area on the tank so I could see the fuel level better.

Posted

The fabric is not glued real well to the rib. I believe poly product was used.

Vance

1 person likes this

Posted

All of mine are cut out. I used a strip of bright white led lights in the front rib opening attached to some lexan. It helps with getting a little more light in there for the site gauge. Send me a pm and I'll send you a light setup . I have tons of led lights and connectors from various projects if you want to go that route. 

The fabric is not glued real well to the rib. I believe poly product was used.

Vance

1 person likes this