Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Camper Project

53 posts in this topic

Posted

It depends a lot on the state the truck is registered in as to how and what you can do.  A good list of state requirements - Link.  For example, Florida allows this type of conversion, but does not allow the truck to have any type of 5th wheel hitch on it, only a receiver style hitch.  If it has a 5th wheel, it's considered commercial.  California does not allow for the registration of a semi tractor as a motorhome at all.  Some states you can build it and register it, but you can't get insurance for it.  

Some states require a different drivers license, not a full CDL, but more than a normal license, including a written and practical exam.  Texas and New York are a couple of these - Link.

It all depends on the state.  Sometimes I really like Wisconsin...

Posted (edited)

At one time I had a CDL from Michigan, Missouri, Tennessee and Arkansas, plus Hazmat / DOT - Then they changed the law so you could only have one.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Well, to each their own, enjoy it!  If your truck was a stick, that changes the equation a bit.  At least in the newer Ram diesels, the automatics have a lot more torque available.  Stopping mine hasn't been an issue at all, nor has maneuvering.  But again, they keep raising the trailer capacity on the newer ones, and that is mostly increasing the braking capacity.   Except for turns at intersections, most of the time I don't really know mines hooked up.

I took it out to a beach campground a couple of weeks ago, and made it safely there and back even with Florida drivers on 2 lane roads.  It was pretty sweet to be parked on the beach, with my own 'stuff', and no upstairs neighbors clog dancing or something.  The price for 4 nights was less than one night at the cheapest hotel on the beach, and they were across a busy road.

That rig will definitely pull it with no problems, but I'll be a lot happier driving my truck to Walmart for supplies when I need them, or taking the wife out for dinner occassionally when we both are sick of our own cooking.

The main reason I chose a 5th wheel over a driveable is the truck for the 5th wheel is useful even when I'm not pulling the camper, and I'd have to tow a driveable vehicle along anyway.  Plus I always try to prevent having one more thing to change the oil in I don't use all the time.

Posted

After your earlier post I figured you were leaning toward the Volvo. F00k the DOT stickers, you might as well just slap on the "Little Penis" decals now. :lmao:

2 people like this

Posted

Yeah, yeah.  Figured that was coming.  

You're just jealous. 

Posted

Not sure exactly what I would do with the same budget (my wife's idea of roughing it is the lower floors of a 4-star Carribean beachfront hotel) but I freely admit there's a part of me that could get very comfortable with that rig if I had the storage space.

Nicely done! :BC:

Posted

Honestly I was expecting Leni to pipe in by now...

1 person likes this

Posted

Nice looking rig. I can see why you made the choices you did. I can live like a coyote but my wife will only camp if she has her own private bath facilities, that rules out public campground stuff. We traveled in a 28 ft tag travel trailer. I owned a Dodge dually  in the 90's with a Cummins and manual 5 speed. It was a towing hoss.  Now diesels for the private citizen are even better with plenty of options. I think when she retires we will go with a smaller motorhome and pull a car. Pricing a new dually will make you choke. In '95 I bought my Dodge pretty loaded up for 23 grand off the lot. 

Posted

That's about what I paid for my Dodge in 95, too.  She's still a towing hoss, but at 19k this trailer is too much.  If I were to loose a tire on the truck, front or rear, it would be very, very ugly.  

I towed this one up into the UP last fall and just the small hills up there had the brakes fading.  I would shudder to try and tow this trailer in the real mountains with a pickup.  The Volvo has a real engine brake and dynamic cruise control to make it simple. Just set your minimum and maximum speeds and she'll take it from there.  Works awesome. 

1 person likes this

Posted

That's about what I paid for my Dodge in 95, too.  She's still a towing hoss, but at 19k this trailer is too much.  If I were to loose a tire on the truck, front or rear, it would be very, very ugly.  

I towed this one up into the UP last fall and just the small hills up there had the brakes fading.  I would shudder to try and tow this trailer in the real mountains with a pickup.  The Volvo has a real engine brake and dynamic cruise control to make it simple. Just set your minimum and maximum speeds and she'll take it from there.  Works awesome. 

Without an engine brake it would be a bit much for a pickup in any hills.  My 2013 2500 had one, and the 2015 3500 has one also.  When I went through the 'mini mountains' on I-24 in Tennessee with the 5th wheel, I didn't touch the brakes, and it stayed right on speed with the cruise control down the mile or so 6% grade. The engine brake was kicking on and off, and the transmission downshifted as it needed to to keep the speed down.  The newer pickups are a lot different than the older ones.  Probably accounts for some of the price inflation.

Mark

Posted (edited)

I towed 17000 lb trailer from Alaska to St. Louis with my 06 Dodge gas 2500 4x4 with heavy-loaded cabover camper on it too - never had a problem with pulling or brakes.   Trailer brake controller is an absolute!  I did burn some rubber coming down a mountain when a slow driving little old lady in front of me started riding her brakes!  Just broke the bank buying Canadian gas!   I swapped it for a little 02 Ford Ranger 4x4 when I got here.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Without an engine brake it would be a bit much for a pickup in any hills.  My 2013 2500 had one, and the 2015 3500 has one also.  When I went through the 'mini mountains' on I-24 in Tennessee with the 5th wheel, I didn't touch the brakes, and it stayed right on speed with the cruise control down the mile or so 6% grade. The engine brake was kicking on and off, and the transmission downshifted as it needed to to keep the speed down.  The newer pickups are a lot different than the older ones.  Probably accounts for some of the price inflation.

Mark

The difference between an engine brake and an exhaust brake (what your and my Dodge has) is amazing.  I have a PAC-Brake with 90 psi valve springs on my Dodge and I still would not tow in the real mountains. 

An exhaust brake will give about 25% of your horsepower to braking.  An engine (Jake) brake will give up to 100%. 

Ed a gas motor is totally different because it has a throttle to slow the engine. 

Posted

Are you doing the standard she drives I flies this year with the new rig? I might have to watch that one. :)

Posted

Well I can say it will probably start like this.

All the shit you give for converting snowmobile and auto engines into aircraft engines and here you are. Ha

I never met the guy but I have a feeling his vocabulary is a bit stronger than mine ha.

Nice project go big or go home

1 person likes this

Posted

Are you doing the standard she drives I flies this year with the new rig? I might have to watch that one. :)

Yes.  That is still the plan.  She's been driving this weekend bobtail.  Tomorrow driving with the trailer attached.

Posted

Larry,  I thought it was just Doug that owned a bank......:-)  Did you rob one?  Hey, I had to say something!  ;-) JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

No, Jim.  I didn't need to rob a bank.  

I have less in this truck than my employee has in his new (to him) 2014 Chevy 1500 crew cab.  
I have less than 1/2 of the sticker price of the new F350 I (briefly) looked at.

To TJay's comment, I guess I don't follow you.  I'm using a HDT (heavy duty truck) to pull a heavy trailer, something it is designed for.  How is that comparable to using a auto or snowmobile engine in an airplane, something it isn't designed for?

Posted

Well Larry, I'm just giving you a little friendly kidding, and I think TJay is too.  (I think you know that anyway :-)  Hope your rig does everything you want it to do.  Enjoy!  JImChuk

Posted

To be sure, Jim.

Tours will be given on the half hour at OSH...

Posted

Did that sleeper come set up like that, with the table? That would be fantastic for having lunch on the road.

Posted

Yes it did.  Most of the HDT manufacturers offer some type of setup like this.  Volvo calls this their "Work Station" configuration.  It's available in their two larger sleeper sizes, 61" and 77". 

1 person likes this

Posted

I have an old 95 too. Their brakes sucked!!!! My 01 dually is a LOT better with hydroboost instead of vacuum.

Nice big rig too. My 05 Dodge 5.9 has more horsepower though!!! :P

Posted

No need for me to say anything, Doug has it covered :lol:   We have been pulling my brothers 42' toy hauler with his F350 with no issues.  Stopping?? thats what good trailer brakes are for :snack:  

At any rate, that is one hell of a dream rig.  If I had the cash I would probably do the same. 

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

But I do have a buddy cutting out some sweet little dick stickers for ya.  They will be in the mail shortly... no pun intended.. :lmao:

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I towed this one up into the UP last fall and just the small hills up there had the brakes fading.  I would shudder to try and tow this trailer in the real mountains with a pickup.  The Volvo has a real engine brake and dynamic cruise control to make it simple. Just set your minimum and maximum speeds and she'll take it from there.  Works awesome

My 05 Dodge 5.9 has more horsepower though!

425/1850.  Sorry, no ISB will turn that. 

Unless you meant your 95 has more than my 94--  in that case you're probably right.  I'm at approximately 225/500.  Stock it was only 175/420. 

Edited by Av8r3400