Aileron attachment rib end repair

33 posts in this topic

Posted

I have an Avid Mark IV with HH wing. The wing was built with double false ribs.

Maybe bottom capstrip was cut short when repairs were made?  Don't matter much anyway.  Jim is Avid guy - I'll shut up.  EDMO

Posted

Man it makes me wish I this cnc table router built already. I would be able to cut this stuff out easy.

Posted

The rib tails I show in my pictures are for the Avid HH wing.  JImChuk

Posted

Thank you for all your input. Sorry for the delayed reply. I've been slammed at work the last week and I've have been to California and to theWashington coast the last two weekends.

JimChuk, I would love to take you up on your offer for the $10.00 peices. I will send you a PM with my address if you could please send me yours. 

Posted

I'll go out and grab them now if you send your address.  Might get them on the way to you tomorrow.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Hello All,

I recently talked to someone who told me they had a structural failure in flight and broke off two flaperon rib tips.   Is there a manufacturer or otherwise approved way to reinforce the rib tips in an Avid Mark IV without taking fabric off.   The Mark IV I am looking at has dampers on the flaperons to reduce / eliminate vibration.  I understand the dampers are from a manufacturer tech sheet (sort of a like a recall notice).  Are the dampers just intended to reduce vibration and the tips should still be reinforced to play it safe?   

The wings are heavy hauler type. 

Edited by gmseegull

Posted

The rib tails should be strong enough for flight if there is no damage or rot in them.  The very first Avid A models didn't have the flaperon counterweights, and there was a report or two of flutter.  All Avids after that should have had them installed.  If the rib tails are in good shape, I wouldn't worry about them, but look them over real good if there is any doubt.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I inspected mine. Checked for rot and sanded on them. Painted them and put the flaperons back on. If it hasn't been out in the weather, it should be fine. I have heard of only two failures that resulted in an incident.