Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

MK IV wingtip repair guidance/suggestions?

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I've had a soft brake issue which necessitates some speed to get the tailwheel to break over for tight turns.  I got a little impatient the other day and got a little too much speed before slamming on the left brake, causing a right wingtip strike when I tipped as I ran off the side grade of our strip.  It took about 5 seconds for it to finally tip over and bounce back (almost saved it!), but, as you can see, I damaged the last flaperon hinge, slightly bent the flaperon, and damaged the fiberglass/foam in the wingtip.

I'd just like some suggestions about the least invasive way to repair the damage.  I've uploaded one video and two photos.  I'm guessing it requires opening up the wingtip and replacing the entire rib, but am new to fabric and thought I'd ask the experts.  Thanks for the help guys!  

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0941.m4v

IMG_0939.jpg

Posted (edited)

Jim Chuk, "1Avidflyer" recently posted photos of rib hanger tip replacements & repairs.  He is probably your best source for help.  You can search the site for some of his posts, or send him a message.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

On your speed wing ribs, there is a wide piece of plywood where it meets the wing fabric.  I repaired a standard STOL rib tail once by adding a 1/4" scab on each side of the rib.  It held up for hundreds of hours.  The last message in the post I'm linking to has a few pics of what I did.  That could be a way to fix the rib.  Here are a some ideas if you pull the wing apart.  I think you will need to do that to fix the wingtip.  http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/3373-broken-rib-tail-repair/ JImChuk

Posted

I did the same on a semi remote repair.  Scabbed a piece of 3/16" aircraft ply on each side and used a few 1/8" dowels to pin it together.  A little gorilla glue and she is still holding up just fine.  May not be the prettiest and I swore I would repair it right when I got it back home.. That was 2 yrs ago and I just painted it and keep on flying.  If the fiberglass is not too bad, wick some thin model CA (super glue) into the cracked up glass and it will take care of it.  You can smear a little of the thick CA over the top to bind any loose fibers down. 

:BC:

Posted

I thought that the wingtip was actually bent up near the back.  Looked like that to me in the video.  Like what would happen if the 1" tube that comes out of the rear spar was bent.  That was why I thought the wing would need to be opened up.  Did I see that wrong?   JImChuk

Posted

On another note by that second pic I can tell you that your TW geometry is terrible. This is a whole another subject that's been discussed plenty. 

Posted (edited)

Fillmanw just did a flaperon rebuild - See his pictures in Avid model A rebuild.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I thought that the wingtip was actually bent up near the back.  Looked like that to me in the video.  Like what would happen if the 1" tube that comes out of the rear spar was bent.  That was why I thought the wing would need to be opened up.  Did I see that wrong?   JImChuk

no sir, I didn't see the vid on my phone. My bad!

Posted (edited)

no sir, I didn't see the vid on my phone. My bad!

I see fabric getting slack in the video when he pushes up on the tip - Would that be normal?  Looks like rear tube is moving up from trailing edge?   I would think you could feel the tube moving, or at least cut an inspection hole in the tip and take a look - maybe it is time for a tip repair?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Sorry for the late reply; I've been out for several weeks on a work trip.  Thank you guys so much for all the suggestions.  I was fearing it would be a much bigger problem than it is; several of the suggestions are in line with what I was thinking, but I sincerely appreciate having so many experienced builders to point me in the right direction.  

I think I will try and re cement the tip through a small inspection slit and then scab the hangar.  I will post pictures of the repair process when able.  Thanks again!

-JCS