GLUING RIBS

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I finished gluing the ribs and braces in my flap tonight and was reminded of a test question one of my instructors in AvSchool wrote:

1.  Is your work neat or pretty?

2.  Is your work "Airworthy"?

3.  Which of the two answers will cause you to fail my class?

EDMO

Posted

I just saw this...let me give it a whirl based on my limited knowledge....Yes. I write that with the thought that if done correctly it should be all those things. As a former machinist and somebody who makes a living in the medical industry, good work is rarely not all if done correctly.

Let’s take the application of glues/epoxies/adhesives. Even application will yield the best adhesion and cleanest “look” as well. Excess glue globs are never a good idea. And can apply strain to an underlying or adjoining piece where it might not be stressed for and cause that piece to break.

How’d I do?

TIA for ALL I’ve learned so far and so much to go

Posted

X2  well.. Based on crap work I have seen IA's do in the past and sign off as airworthy I would say #2 is the correct answer, however, I am with Columbus on this one.  I wont accept the work unless it is both.

Reminds me of a time I had an IA repair a gear leg on the PA-12.  After he struggled with it then said it was good to go I took one look at it and called bullshit.  I did the repairs then he signed it off and it was both 1 and 2 then.

Yet another time was putting the gear back on a buddies Beaver after pulling the floats.  After dropping the banjo bolt in the dirt then trying to stab it back in the hole covered in dirt I stopped him and made him clean it off.  Then he proceeded to cross thread the nut.  He grinned and said well a cross thread is better than no thread right.  I again called bullshit and made him replace the bolt and nut and he was bitching and moaning the whole time that the old would have held just fine.  That was when I made the call to go experimental so I knew exactly what I was flying and how the work was done.

:BC:

2 people like this