Angle of nose gear mount tube?

25 posts in this topic

Posted

Can someone with an Avid that has the nose gear tube factory welded give me the angle from the cabin floor to the tube?   Thanks,  EDMO

Posted

Did you get the angle Ed, if not I can run out to the hangar and measure mine.

Posted

Did you get the angle Ed, if not I can run out to the hangar and measure mine.

Thanks Paul - I didn't get any answers - There is no rush on getting this - I am trying to understand more about how the aftermarket spring-loaded Avid nosegear works - I may have an Avid setup someday - Whenever it is convenient for you I would appreciate it.   EDMO

Posted

Looks like it is 70 degrees Ed.

Posted

Looks like it is 70 degrees Ed.

Thanks Paul,  That's a lot more than I had imagined - Now I can set up a PVC pipe and take a good look at the spring-loaded gear.  Very much appreciated.   EDMO

Posted

I have just purchased avid MKIV it has the tube for nose wheel Is there an aftermarket nose wheel kit. any info greatly appreciated.

Posted (edited)

I have just purchased avid MKIV it has the tube for nose wheel Is there an aftermarket nose wheel kit. any info greatly appreciated.

As far as I know you just have to find someone that has the original nosegear parts for sale.  I have a spring loaded aftermarket nose wheel attachment but they are no longer made, and it did not include all the other nosegear parts that Avid made.   Or, get some dimensions and make your own.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

My nose gear is angled pretty sharply aftward. But it is also quite a bit farther aft than yours, I think. About 10 feet...... ;-)

10922283_10204563455029127_5763431062302523665_o.jpg

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Nick,  Didn't you get your tailwheel endorsement in a chopper?  I have a problem seeing to taxi and have a tendency to go to sleep in a recliner.  ;<)  Nice photo.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I saw one forum where someone said a RV 6A nose gear would work. I don't know

Posted (edited)

I saw one forum where someone said a RV 6A nose gear would work. I don't know

The RV nose gear is more like a castering BD4, Grumman Yankee or Kitfox gear - It is completely different - I don't see how it would work on an Avid which has a steerable gear.  Although anything is possible.  I think 1avidflyer has a Kitfox type nosegear setup that he is not using?  ChrisB is your best source of info on Avid gears, unless someone has it for sale.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I will try 1avidflyer. This is my first time on here and learning. Just bought Avid MKIV waiting for it to get here. Thanks EDMO   john

Posted (edited)

I will try 1avidflyer. This is my first time on here and learning. Just bought Avid MKIV waiting for it to get here. Thanks EDMO   john

I don't know that the Kitfox nosegear will even work on a 582 Avid, since Avid mounts the engine plugs-down and Kitfox engines are plugs-up.   I have never taxied a castoring nosegear, but I am told it is a matter of tapping the brakes to steer, something like a taildragger.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

1avidflyer sold the Kitfox nose wheel gear almost a year ago.  Wish I had another... :-)  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Speaking of ChrisB - Has anyone heard from him lately?  Seems like it has been a long time since he posted progress on nosedragger kayak hauler.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I saw today that custom flight systems llc was working on a nose gear. Any one know? Also a trailing link nose gear not having much luck finding anything on them.  john

Posted (edited)

I saw today that custom flight systems llc was working on a nose gear. Any one know? Also a trailing link nose gear not having much luck finding anything on them.  john

John,

I believe that was the guy who made the spring-loaded gear for the Challenger, and a heavier one for the Avid.  ChrisB had the prototype on his old kayak hauler Avid, and his plane was pictured on one ad - I have one for an Avid - Maybe that is the company that no longer makes them?   Might be an old site?  Can you post the site?  Does it look like the one I am posting the picture of?   EDMO

IMG_1658.JPG

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I am planning on building myself a new nose gear . Once I do one I can duplicate them all day . Mine has a little lean in it from the previous owner.

Posted

EDMO that is the one it was on utube I think it was ChrisB plane.     chopndrag please let me know when you have one. Thanks  john

Posted (edited)

EDMO that is the one it was on utube I think it was ChrisB plane.     chopndrag please let me know when you have one. Thanks  john

Chopndrag,  ChrisB modified his new one to use a 600x6 tire and wheel.   This might be an alternative if someone has to buy a wheel and tire anyway?   I have a Grove 6" nosewheel for my Foxy.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Does it help ground clearance?

Posted (edited)

Does it help ground clearance?

I would think so, because the fork needs to be a little longer and the tire is larger diameter - Helps get you over the bumps better - Also helps keep nose up if you put on larger main tires.  Cant hurt any!   EDMO

Edit:   I guess if you made the fork wider and long enough, you could put a 21"x800x6 tire on the nose, but you would have a little more drag - should be a stump-jumper tho!   Ha!

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I have general measurements now and can make nose gears for the MkIV if anyone wants a stock style.

Posted

Did the drawings help.  I have been talking to you about the Pulsar I have

Posted

I just measured my stock nose gear and plan on making that kind at first then a caster type . I still want that pulsar

Did the drawings help.  I have been talking to you about the Pulsar I have