Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New guys with an Avid needs advice

78 posts in this topic

Posted

The registration was however cancelled in 2015.  Hopefully they will let you renew the registration.  I'm not sure how that works though.  I'm really sorry if all my posts have come off as being negative.  That was not my intent.  I looked and saw things, and so I mentioned them.   JImChuk

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?omni=Home-N-Number&nNumberTxt=6008c

Jim,  I think if he has the Aircraft bill of sale, signed by the registered owner, he can possibly renew the registration and N-number as long as it hasn't expired (5 years?)  I don't know all the rules on this.  He would have to talk to FSDO or someone about that.   Otherwise, he has a pile of parts to inventory and a manual to read about how to put all the parts on this bird as a builder, or to look for more parts.

Winglift,  I hope we haven't flooded you with too much pros and cons and other stuff.  We have a tendency to over-talk about things, but that is good, because what one doesn't know or think of, the others will.  Once you are beyond the initial "What do I have" you can get to the "What do I need to do" and start making a flyer out of this bird by reading the manual and asking questions.   You are in the right forum to get helpful answers, and maybe more than you want, but it is with the best intentions of all of us.   You should start a builders (or repair?) log and start taking photos of your progress - You may need them someday.   You may want to sell that Warp Drive prop and buy an IVO - Jim knows more about the 582 engines than me.   EDMO

Posted

First thing first, welcome and I hope you find your Avid rebuild fun and educating.

IMHO, best way to learn about these little planes is to put in the wrench time. Obviously, we can't do that for you, but there are plenty of nice folks here with a vast amount of knowledge willing to help you along the way. Hopefully, you can find some local support.

It does seem to me like you may have put the cart just a bit ahead of the horse here, you really need to familiarize yourself with the kit components and build manual ASAP. Search here onsite and explore the forums, those and much more are available to you here.

I suggest you begin today with that huge P.I.T.A. kit builders rite of passage more fondly called a piece-by-piece inventory check. To get started, compare your pile of parts to the Mk-4 factory pull sheets HERE.

Keep us posted!

That is all good and great, but hardly the case here. I never asked for anyone here to do the work for me and getting the information that I need before doing the work is hardly putting the cart before the horse. I have already inventoried all that I have. If I were to start putting this together before knowing what I am doing then that would be putting the cart before the horse. This is an already built plane and may have either missing or damaged parts.

Like the others, I do not mean to come off either as negative OR critical, but I am confused by your comments. Your very first post said:

• "I recently purchased a Avid Flyer project and need some help to determine what I need to complete it. [Are you referring to parts or construction or both?] First of all I have never built or owned my own plane before, let alone an Avid Flyer. It is probably a heavy hauler, mark IV. [Well, I guess you kinda, maybe know what you bought, but there is also a huge difference between an 'already built plane' and 'previously built plane' which may be in some state of disassembly.] It has a new Rotax 582 engine with gear reduction and electric starter. It is missing the flaperons, which were removed by the seller, not the owner. [So it sounds like you purchased thru a third party who you suspect absconded with some parts, do you have a detailed purchase agreement from either that supports this?] I live in southern Indiana and was wondering if there might be someone who would be able to help me determine what I need to complete it. [I took this to mean parts, but then, if you've already done adequate research and completed an inventory you would already know, right?] I have no building experience other than the classes at Oshkosh and I have built and flown RC planes for decades. Any help would be appreciated. [Well, I tried.]"

Just so you are not confused by my comments, when I said cart before the horse, I was not referring to getting the info you need before starting the work, that Sir is a given. I think the time to do the research and get all your info together is before you hand over your cash, not only to confirm what you actually need vs. will get, but also to determine if it is honestly within your capabilities to complete. But, hey, that's just me and YMMV.

Best of luck with your project.

Posted (edited)

Winglift,   I agree with what Doug and Jim said:  We will try to help, but you need to inventory your parts and read the manual first - Then you can get to specific questions for us.  Be prepared to learn about AN bolts and parts, because the hardware store bolts will not be safe to use and will not be approved by an inspector.

I looked up Worthington, Indiana, and you are about as isolated from most of the builders about as far apart as I am - you are 200 miles from Chicago / Wisconsin area and the same from St. Louis.  So most of your help will come from here in answers and advice online. 

Although I have been around the kitplanes for about 20 years, and other planes about the most of my 75 years, I have the added handicap of age and injuries, and my helpers have all passed away except one who is now 80 years old, and that makes it very difficult when I really need 3 guys for lifting - which you probably wont need.   I may not get to see my bird completed, but I am trying to get as much done on my own modified Kitfox design so my widow might get a little more when she sells it to a younger person who can finish and fly it.

Best wishes and Good Building,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

First thing first, welcome and I hope you find your Avid rebuild fun and educating.

IMHO, best way to learn about these little planes is to put in the wrench time. Obviously, we can't do that for you, but there are plenty of nice folks here with a vast amount of knowledge willing to help you along the way. Hopefully, you can find some local support.

It does seem to me like you may have put the cart just a bit ahead of the horse here, you really need to familiarize yourself with the kit components and build manual ASAP. Search here onsite and explore the forums, those and much more are available to you here.

I suggest you begin today with that huge P.I.T.A. kit builders rite of passage more fondly called a piece-by-piece inventory check. To get started, compare your pile of parts to the Mk-4 factory pull sheets HERE.

Keep us posted!

That is all good and great, but hardly the case here. I never asked for anyone here to do the work for me and getting the information that I need before doing the work is hardly putting the cart before the horse. I have already inventoried all that I have. If I were to start putting this together before knowing what I am doing then that would be putting the cart before the horse. This is an already built plane and may have either missing or damaged parts.

Like the others, I do not mean to come off either as negative OR critical, but I am confused by your comments. Your very first post said:

• "I recently purchased a Avid Flyer project and need some help to determine what I need to complete it. [Are you referring to parts or construction or both?] First of all I have never built or owned my own plane before, let alone an Avid Flyer. It is probably a heavy hauler, mark IV. [Well, I guess you kinda, maybe know what you bought, but there is also a huge difference between an 'already built plane' and 'previously built plane' which may be in some state of disassembly.] It has a new Rotax 582 engine with gear reduction and electric starter. It is missing the flaperons, which were removed by the seller, not the owner. [So it sounds like you purchased thru a third party who you suspect absconded with some parts, do you have a detailed purchase agreement from either that supports this?] I live in southern Indiana and was wondering if there might be someone who would be able to help me determine what I need to complete it. [I took this to mean parts, but then, if you've already done adequate research and completed an inventory you would already know, right?] I have no building experience other than the classes at Oshkosh and I have built and flown RC planes for decades. Any help would be appreciated. [Well, I tried.]"

Just so you are not confused by my comments, when I said cart before the horse, I was not referring to getting the info you need before starting the work, that Sir is a given. I think the time to do the research and get all your info together is before you hand over your cash, not only to confirm what you actually need vs. will get, but also to determine if it is honestly within your capabilities to complete. But, hey, that's just me and YMMV.

Keep us posted!

I was very clear in my initial statement, but you seem to be the only one who has trouble understanding it and more interested slinging insults in what I had to say or how I said it. I joined this site hoping to get some help with this Avid Flyer and so far, except for you, all comments have been constructive.

Posted

Winglift,

I hate to see you and Doug get off to a bad start - He is one of the most informed and helpful builders on this site - and I agree with what he has tried to tell you, although you seem to be offended by it for some reason.  I think everyone on this site has been helped by Doug at some time.  Maybe if you let things cool for a while, then you can better understand that he is trying to help you.

My 2c worth.  EDMO

Posted (edited)

Winglift,

I hate to see you and Doug get off to a bad start - He is one of the most informed and helpful builders on this site - and I agree with what he has tried to tell you, although you seem to be offended by it for some reason.  I think everyone on this site has been helped by Doug at some time.  Maybe if you let things cool for a while, then you can better understand that he is trying to help you.

My 2c worth.  EDMO

Winglift,

My 2c worth.  EDMO

It is pretty simple EDMO. Read his red lined comments and see for yourself. He may be informed, but I can do without his insults. I don't have time for people like him.

Keep us posted!

Edited by winglift

Posted

Winglift,  Lets hope this plane was finished with Polytone, because you need to strip some fabric from the area where that allen bolt is located, and look for damage with possibility of re-welding, and Polytone is easy to repair.   You can learn about repairing fabric later on.  Then from front to back, start looking for bent, damaged, or rusted parts to fix or replace.  Then you can follow the build manual to install parts and discover if you have parts missing.  In the meanwhile, I would put an ad  for Avid Flaperons Wanted on our FOR SALE section, and start looking for them on Barnstormers.   Hope this helps.  EDMO

Posted

I agree begin with looking for damage, if you find any take pics and I dare bet you every one around here will help.

Posted

I have some info about a guy named Ken something or another that was in Indiana that had a crashed Avid MK IV.  Can't remember what all was messed up, but he might be a source of parts that might be nearby.  I will try to dig through my stuff and see if I can find his contact info.  Maybe I'll call him if I find it as well.  I've talked to him several times.   In addition, I will try to be helpful in any way I can.  Maybe if we start with the biggest parts that are missing.  You mentioned the flaperons, the flaperons on the Kitfox model 1 to 3 use the same flaperons.  That expands the field of available parts considerably.  Are the tailfeathers all there?  Windshield missing is not a big deal, a sheet of 4'x4'x.060" lexan is what was used and cut to fit.  I didn't see doors in any of your pictures, new ones can be built, TJay just built a set last week or so for his Kitfox 1 project.  I actually have a set for a C model that will probably fit also.  Do you have a motor mount?  I didn't see it in the pictures.  If you need one, try to find the later model ezesmooth  motor mount.  It does a better job of getting rid of the 2 stroke high pitched vibrations.  They are around, I have an old style mount that is for a C model as well, but you are better off with the newer type.  Looks like the joysticks and mixer controls behind the seat that run the flaperons are there, as well as the rudder pedals.  All that is good.  Very nice landing gear, I would trade you for the factory bungee gear in a heartbeat!   ;-)  You have a good start on things, maybe plan on rewiring the panel, maybe redo the panel also while you're doing the rebuild.  I'm redoing mine right now, I used a piece of aluminum with a 90 degree bend on the bottom.  The top will bolt to the glareshield to keep the top in place.  That prop is a nice prop, looks like a new one.  They are worth some money.  A lighter one or a two blade would be better for the gearbox you have however.  I have basically the same engine and gearbox on a Kitfox 1 and I've been running a 2 blade warp 70" and have also used a 68" three blade IVO on it.  The warp performs better than the IVO.  Not as smooth though.  Well I better quit before I write a book, I just wanted to take the time to give some constructive comments.  And also to mention that I'm sure Doug didn't mean to be insulting.  So much of communication on the internet is being lost when we can't see the expression on their face, or the tone of their voice, and just have the words to go by.  Anyway, I'll look for Ken's # and see if you can figure out what else you are missing.  Feel free to ask questions.  We really do want to help!  JImChuk

Photo0881.jpg

Posted (edited)

I have some info about a guy named Ken something or another that was in Indiana that had a crashed Avid MK IV.  Can't remember what all was messed up, but he might be a source of parts that might be nearby.  I will try to dig through my stuff and see if I can find his contact info.  Maybe I'll call him if I find it as well.  I've talked to him several times.   In addition, I will try to be helpful in any way I can.  Maybe if we start with the biggest parts that are missing.  You mentioned the flaperons, the flaperons on the Kitfox model 1 to 3 use the same flaperons.  That expands the field of available parts considerably.  Are the tailfeathers all there?  Windshield missing is not a big deal, a sheet of 4'x4'x.060" lexan is what was used and cut to fit.  I didn't see doors in any of your pictures, new ones can be built, TJay just built a set last week or so for his Kitfox 1 project.  I actually have a set for a C model that will probably fit also.  Do you have a motor mount?  I didn't see it in the pictures.  If you need one, try to find the later model ezesmooth  motor mount.  It does a better job of getting rid of the 2 stroke high pitched vibrations.  They are around, I have an old style mount that is for a C model as well, but you are better off with the newer type.  Looks like the joysticks and mixer controls behind the seat that run the flaperons are there, as well as the rudder pedals.  All that is good.  Very nice landing gear, I would trade you for the factory bungee gear in a heartbeat!   ;-)  You have a good start on things, maybe plan on rewiring the panel, maybe redo the panel also while you're doing the rebuild.  I'm redoing mine right now, I used a piece of aluminum with a 90 degree bend on the bottom.  The top will bolt to the glareshield to keep the top in place.  That prop is a nice prop, looks like a new one.  They are worth some money.  A lighter one or a two blade would be better for the gearbox you have however.  I have basically the same engine and gearbox on a Kitfox 1 and I've been running a 2 blade warp 70" and have also used a 68" three blade IVO on it.  The warp performs better than the IVO.  Not as smooth though.  Well I better quit before I write a book, I just wanted to take the time to give some constructive comments.  And also to mention that I'm sure Doug didn't mean to be insulting.  So much of communication on the internet is being lost when we can't see the expression on their face, or the tone of their voice, and just have the words to go by.  Anyway, I'll look for Ken's # and see if you can figure out what else you are missing.  Feel free to ask questions.  We really do want to help!  JImChuk

Photo0881.jpg

Now that Jim mentioned Kitfox flaperons fitting - I have 3 of them  if you don't find some - But, I wont box them to ship - you would have to come and get them if you buy them.  

Jim, he said he had a mount and exhaust.   TJay really made his IP look good with the carbon fiber on it. 

I don't know if a new 582 comes with senders for the gauges. ???  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Photo0881.jpg

Now that Jim mentioned Kitfox flaperons fitting - I have 3 of them  if you don't find some - But, I wont sell them to box them to ship - you would have to come and get them if you buy them.   Jim, he said he had a mount and exhaust.   TJay really made his IP look good with the carbon fiber on it.   EDMO

Yes it is called 1080 carbon fiber made by 3M super easy just peel and stick lots of you tube videos about it, Don't be fooled by the cheaper stuff, spend the money if your gonna use it,

Posted (edited)

Photo0881.jpg

Now that Jim mentioned Kitfox flaperons fitting - I have 3 of them  if you don't find some - But, I wont sell them to box them to ship - you would have to come and get them if you buy them.   Jim, he said he had a mount and exhaust.   TJay really made his IP look good with the carbon fiber on it.   EDMO

Yes it is called 1080 carbon fiber made by 3M super easy just peel and stick lots of you tube videos about it, Don't be fooled by the cheaper stuff, spend the money if your gonna use it,

I really don't know about the Kitfox flaperons hooking up with the Avid cable controls - Anyone know? 

I think I lost where I said, I don't know if new 582 engines come with senders for the gauges - Anyone know?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Avid flaperon controls are not cable Ed.  I'll look tomorrow to double check if the flaperon bellcranks are the same on the Kitfox and Avid.  (If I remember)  ((I'm less than a month away from 65))  JImChuk  

Found the guy's name and # with the crashed Avid.  I'll call him tomorrow (see above) ;-)

Posted

Winglift,  Lets hope this plane was finished with Polytone, because you need to strip some fabric from the area where that allen bolt is located, and look for damage with possibility of re-welding, and Polytone is easy to repair.   You can learn about repairing fabric later on.  Then from front to back, start looking for bent, damaged, or rusted parts to fix or replace.  Then you can follow the build manual to install parts and discover if you have parts missing.  In the meanwhile, I would put an ad  for Avid Flaperons Wanted on our FOR SALE section, and start looking for them on Barnstormers.   Hope this helps.  EDMO

I found a receipt for poly-fiber for a repair on a wing in 2003, so I assume that is what is on there now, but I cannot be sure. I am not sure what is going on with the horizontal stab and that allen bolt if anything. I will look tomorrow at the framework and other parts. Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted

Photo0881.jpg

I would be grateful if flaperons could be found for this. Thanks for you help in that. It did have a windshield, but it is in poor condition and yellow. The door frames are there and it came with a set of domed side windows that fit the door frames. I also found the installation kit for the domed windows. The tail feathers are there, but there may be a problem with the connection point for the leading edge of the horizontal stab and there is a threaded rod installed which I am not sure of its function. I did find a receipt for an electric trim system, but only found the indicator and the rocker switch. I think that I have the motor mount, but not sure if its the right one. The panel, which is made of fiberglass, is not so good and unsure what instruments will be used. This plane initially had a Rotax engine then a Subaru engine. How do I determine the correct prop? This prop may have used with the Subaru engine. There appears to be an extra set of pedals. There is some sort of aluminum scoop with a hose attached that I do not know its purpose. I really appreciate your help. Although I understand what you are saying concerning Doug, his words were unmistakable. Thanks again.

avidflyer4102416-124.JPG

IMG_20160209_115413_955.jpg

avidflyer4102516-136.JPG

avidflyer4102616-156.JPG

avidflyer4102616-158.JPG

avidflyer4102716-165.JPG

avidflyer4102316-64.JPG

avidflyer4102716-166.JPG

Posted

Well you do have the Ezesmooth 582 rotax motor mount.  That's good.  Also, I see by the pink color on the inside of the fabric that the plane was finished in poly fiber chemicals.  That pink is the poly brush coat.  The scoop with the hose on it was probably for a scoop that fit on the back side of one of the two radiators that would mount on either side of the prop for collecting warm air for cabin heat.  The radiators would be rubber mounted on the front holes of the motor mount.  The horizontal stabilizer was held on with AN3 bolts (3/16") diameter bolts.  Not sure why the allen head bolt is there either.  Not sure what the verticle tube is that you show inside the back of the fuselage.  The extra white piece bolted onto the rudder horn so the chain would line up better with the tail wheel is not a factory part, nor in my opinion is needed.  I think it would flex and bend around and not give as positive steering on the tail wheel.  Nice windows for the doors.  They aren't cheap.  Lots of Subaru engines have used a 3 blade warp drive prop.  Maybe that was what it was for.  Like I said, they aren't cheap, so if it's new or in good shape, it's worth some $.  Take care.  JImChuk

Posted

The threaded rod looks like a battery hold down.

Posted (edited)

Yes I believe you are right on that being a piece of all thread for a battery.  I didn't make the connection myself till you mentioned it.  As far as parts go, I just got off the phone with Ken's widow.  He was the guy in Indiana that had the wrecked Avid that I mentioned last night.  It seems he passed away several years ago, and all his stuff is sold.  He seemed like a nice guy the times I talked to him.  Kind of put a damper on my morning.... JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Well you do have the Ezesmooth 582 rotax motor mount.  That's good.  Also, I see by the pink color on the inside of the fabric that the plane was finished in poly fiber chemicals.  That pink is the poly brush coat.  The scoop with the hose on it was probably for a scoop that fit on the back side of one of the two radiators that would mount on either side of the prop for collecting warm air for cabin heat.  The radiators would be rubber mounted on the front holes of the motor mount.  The horizontal stabilizer was held on with AN3 bolts (3/16") diameter bolts.  Not sure why the allen head bolt is there either.  Not sure what the verticle tube is that you show inside the back of the fuselage.  The extra white piece bolted onto the rudder horn so the chain would line up better with the tail wheel is not a factory part, nor in my opinion is needed.  I think it would flex and bend around and not give as positive steering on the tail wheel.  Nice windows for the doors.  They aren't cheap.  Lots of Subaru engines have used a 3 blade warp drive prop.  Maybe that was what it was for.  Like I said, they aren't cheap, so if it's new or in good shape, it's worth some $.  Take care.  JImChuk

Yes I believe you are right on that being a piece of all thread for a battery.  I didn't make the connection myself till you mentioned it.  As far as parts go, I just got off the phone with Ken's widow.  He was the guy in Indiana that had the wrecked Avid that I mentioned last night.  It seems he passed away several years ago, and all his stuff is sold.  He seemed like a nice guy the times I talked to him.  Kind of put a damper on my morning.... JImChuk

The threaded rod looks like a battery hold down.

Thanks for that. What do you think covered that hole? Sorry that your friend/acquaintance had passed away. I did get a battery, but it is probably no longer working.

Posted

Thanks for that. What do you think covered that hole? Sorry that your friend/acquaintance had passed away. I did get a battery, but it is probably no longer working.

The way the covering is ripped out, I think it would be a logical guess that it was just covered over.  If your not putting a subie back in it then you wont need to put the battery in the tail.

Posted

OK, here is a rare time that I step in and put in my .02...  If you really want to come on the forum and act like a jackass it is my belief that you will be treated like a jackass.  You posted questions, were given answers that you obviously did not like and have some very thin skin.  You stated you were a first time buyer and owner.  Well, its a big kick to the nuts when you figure out that what you bought can't readily be put back together with the parts you have.

Doug has offered some very sound advice.  Do you want to learn your plane and get it back in the air??  First step is to go through the manual you say you have and figure out what you are missing.  You stated that you did that... well if ya did it, then why ask us what you have missing?  If you are asking where to find the missing parts that is a different story, but I don't really see that that's what you asked.

So where does this leave us..

1) you could try to say sorry for taking shit the wrong way, we start over and you get the help you are truly asking for and we help you get the bird in the air. 

2) You continue to show your ass by trying to kick the guys in the nuts for telling you what you don't seem to want to hear and you get pig piled and horse whipped.. your call.

I run an open forum that is stuffed full of information with some of the best members and guys you could ask for.  Very knowledgeable guys that build and fly these birds not just sit around bullshitting in a hangar some place telling stories of how good they once were and how much of a legend they are in their own minds.  Stick around and we will help you, walk in here trying to swing a big stick and your gonna get beat down and get the cold shoulder from the very guys that could help you the most.

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

Well said Leni and my thoughts exactly. You've already ran Doug out of this thread and he is the most knowledgeable guy I know on these. All the manuals are here along with 7 years of threads discussing everything Avid/Kitfox related. This isn't an RC plane and shouldn't be treated as such. You cannot pop into a forum as the admitted new guy and demand to be spoon fed information.  I wish the best of luck on this project and hope you can get it flying. Learning the skills required to build a plane takes years and to bring one back from the brink of extinction takes even more specialized skills.  

Posted

I am sure that all of you are very knowledgeable, after all this is a forum for the Avid Flyer. I said from the beginning that I am new to this and therefore need to ask basic questions and most of you have been helpful in that regard. I have to start somewhere guys and thought that this forum would provide a source for the information that I need to make the right decisions concerning this airplane, but surly we can be respectful in what we say to each other. I know that this is not an RC plane. I would always welcome questions from those that I was teaching no matter how basic and not consider it spoon feeding, but a process. We all can benefit from learning from each other and we can also try to be respectful to each other and never call anyone names.

Posted

I am sure that all of you are very knowledgeable, after all this is a forum for the Avid Flyer. I said from the beginning that I am new to this and therefore need to ask basic questions and most of you have been helpful in that regard. I have to start somewhere guys and thought that this forum would provide a source for the information that I need to make the right decisions concerning this airplane, but surly we can be respectful in what we say to each other. I know that this is not an RC plane. I would always welcome questions from those that I was teaching no matter how basic and not consider it spoon feeding, but a process. We all can benefit from learning from each other and we can also try to be respectful to each other and never call anyone names.

yes, we can all benefit, but shitting on a very helpful and respected member who is known as our resident historian and keeper of all things avid and kit fox is not a real great way to seek the information that you want.  we are all entitled to our opinions and if in your eyes you've said or done nothing wrong then so be it.  I am not sure most others see it through your eyes in this case.  we would be happy to have you stick around learn more and get your plane in the air.  I would be in your best interest to not ask a question then argue with the answers given.  this was a favorite thing for my soon to be ex wife to do.. and we are not married so my patience will be even less than it was with her

:lmao:   :BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Ok back to the plane, Am I right is the front of the rear spar cut out or is it just a shadow that I am seeing,