Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New guys with an Avid needs advice

78 posts in this topic

Posted

I am sure that all of you are very knowledgeable, after all this is a forum for the Avid Flyer. I said from the beginning that I am new to this and therefore need to ask basic questions and most of you have been helpful in that regard. I have to start somewhere guys and thought that this forum would provide a source for the information that I need to make the right decisions concerning this airplane, but surly we can be respectful in what we say to each other. I know that this is not an RC plane. I would always welcome questions from those that I was teaching no matter how basic and not consider it spoon feeding, but a process. We all can benefit from learning from each other and we can also try to be respectful to each other and never call anyone names.

yes, we can all benefit, but shitting on a very helpful and respected member who is known as our resident historian and keeper of all things avid and kit fox is not a real great way to seek the information that you want.  we are all entitled to our opinions and if in your eyes you've said or done nothing wrong then so be it.  I am not sure most others see it through your eyes in this case.  we would be happy to have you stick around learn more and get your plane in the air.  I would be in your best interest to not ask a question then argue with the answers given.  this was a favorite thing for my soon to be ex wife to do.. and we are not married so my patience will be even less than it was with her

:lmao:   :BC:

It was his words not mine. I never said anything against him, just what was said. I have not argued about any answers given here.

Posted

And I'm out.  If I feel like beating my head against a brick wall I will call one or the other of the ex wives.  Have a great day, good luck on the project!

It seems that you have already inventoried everything against the pull sheets and that you have downloaded the build manual so your well on your way to knowing exactly what you need to complete the plane :) 

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

And I'm out.  If I feel like beating my head against a brick wall I will call one or the other of the ex wives.  Have a great day, good luck on the project!

It seems that you have already inventoried everything against the pull sheets and that you have downloaded the build manual so your well on your way to knowing exactly what you need to complete the plane :) 

Well this is a first in AFF history. Seriously we are here to help but in the almost decade we've been an online community you are the first to rattle this many cages in one thread. Spend about a week reading and researching and then make another post with some specific questions on how to best move forward. Be open minded to the answers given and it will get you a lot further than arguing with sound advice. 

5 people like this

Posted

Ok back to the plane, Am I right is the front of the rear spar cut out or is it just a shadow that I am seeing, 

I am not sure what you are seeing, but there are notches on the rear spar extensions. Not sure what it should look like but I went out and took a couple of photos of the wing root.

avidflyer4102816-182.JPG

avidflyer4102816-183.JPG

Posted

Yeah that notch there, I have never seen anybody do that on the Kitfoxes but it could be normal Avid construction

Posted

Ok back to the plane, Am I right is the front of the rear spar cut out or is it just a shadow that I am seeing, 

it is supposed to be there for the wing folding.. some cut out the area larger than others but its on the avids I have seen and I have it on mine.

Posted

Page from my MK IV manual.  JImChuk

wing spar end detail 001.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Ok I get it, my guess is so you can have more than a 3/4 inch edge distance with your bolt hole, that way the front of the spar clears the carry through tube when folding. Makes sense now thanks.

1 person likes this

Posted

I suggest you do a lot of high speed taxi testing on the airplane to determine it's stability.

Then sell the wreckage and get back into mud bogging.

First and last post.

5 people like this

Posted

I suggest you do a lot of high speed taxi testing on the airplane to determine it's stability.

First and last post.

First and last post.

Sounds like you are experienced in that. Make a video of how that works and I'll let you know if I'm interested.

Posted

For anyone who might be interested or knows someone who is, there are two BD-5 kits available from the same place that I purchased the Avid Flyer. All that I know is that they said that they were complete and in different stages. Let me know if that is something that you are interested in and I will give you the contact.

Posted (edited)

No one on here has a death wish enough to buy a BD-5 kit .      

Didn't that win the prize for Biggest Flop of the Century?      EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I would not want one either, not much around the pilot, very sensitive controls and high wing loading.

Posted

I would love to have one.. not that I have a death wish, but I don't fear it.  like my signature says, I would rather die trying to live then live trying not to die.  Too bad I'm so far away from them.

Posted

I would love to have one.. not that I have a death wish, but I don't fear it.  like my signature says, I would rather die trying to live then live trying not to die.  Too bad I'm so far away from them.

You could park it at Joey's and enter it in the Reno Air races!   Don't think it would do well on floats!   EDMo

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

On the other hand, I have admired these because of its lines and speed. I remember wanting one of these when they first came out and thought that the Wankel engine would be perfect for it as it would have solved the vibration problem, but they didn't have enough power.

Edited by winglift

Posted

I joined this group after buying the Avid Flyer project and looking forward to getting it airborne again. I was hoping to get some information and at first that was the case, but soon received some messages that, intended or not, was insulting in its tone and tenor and was unmistakable. There is no reason for anyone to be disrespectful to another, let alone to a new member. Instead of apologizing or taking ownership of it and even explaining that it was not meant that way, I was met with derogatory remarks from others. Your response was both disrespectful and unwarranted. I was the one offended and said so, and yet you wanted to vilify me! You even had someone compose a letter for me, but as I explained to him I do not apologize for someone else’s bad behavior. Unlike some of you, I will not call you names, nor will I hope that you crash your airplanes as someone suggested, nor will I be disrespectful to anyone as you have me, instead I wish you well in your pursuits in both aviation and personally. I am 70 years old and have always made friends throughout the aviation community, but I have never been so badly treated or disrespected as I have experienced on your forum. It will take a while to finish this project, but I will find a way. Best wishes.

Posted

Ah Hell you don't need to leave, Or even be friends with everyone, Just take a week or two off and let everybody cool down, This is so much better than any Yahoo forum, I Blame it on Hillary getting closer and closer, that in itself is making everybody around here a bit stressed.  In some weird way I think everybody wants to see you finish the project and fly her like she was meant to, Maybe in a few weeks we can all start over, Good Luck

3 people like this

Posted

Sorry, Pal.  You started the bad vibe by attacking Doug, probably the most knowledgeable member who was trying to help you.  That was enough to put you on my shit list.

Bye.  Come back when you can't stay so long.

Posted

So... how 'bout those Cubs?!  :blink:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Cubs?  You mean J3 or PA-18, Carbon Cub or LIL Cub?  :lol:  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Sorry, Pal.  You started the bad vibe by attacking Doug, probably the most knowledgeable member who was trying to help you.  That was enough to put you on my shit list.

I attacked no one, Pal. I challenge anyone, especially the "moderator", to read the posts and find where I personally attacked anyone. There is a difference between objecting to what someone says and attacking or as was said, "bashing" someone. I can object to what my friends say, but that is not the same as "attacking" them. Read the posts.

Posted (edited)

5 years on this site as one of a small minority and I have never heard this much petty BS from any of the 1200+ members.

We are builders and flyers, not politically correct, and certainly not going to spend time with someone who has their drawers on too tight.

This is my last words on your personal problem - but if you have a specific building question it might get answered.

You asked for "advice" - and you got it!  Your "youth" is no excuse around us old farts!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I attacked no one, Pal. I challenge anyone, especially the "moderator", to read the posts and find where I personally attacked anyone. There is a difference between objecting to what someone says and attacking or as was said, "bashing" someone. I can object to what my friends say, but that is not the same as "attacking" them. Read the posts.

Its funny how someone can be so naive in their own minds. In 10 years on this site your the first to get any pushback from other members. Kinda seems like an awfully big coincidence doncha think? Humility goes a long ways and if you truly feel that we are a bunch of name calling assholes why do you keep coming back to defend yourself? I'm sorry that you bought a pile of 25 year old junk from someone's barn and have no idea where to start. You asked for advice and didn't like it and got pissy about it. Don't care how much you want to argue that fact. Now for the 4th or 5th time if you have some specific questions and want to be open minded ask away. Like Ed said we are here to build airplanes and talk shit not listen to bickering and whining. I am more than happy to help you but for the love of god man let it go and move forward.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

I joined this group after buying the Avid Flyer project and looking forward to getting it airborne again. I was hoping to get some information and at first that was the case, but soon received some messages that, intended or not, was insulting in its tone and tenor and was unmistakable. There is no reason for anyone to be disrespectful to another, let alone to a new member. Instead of apologizing or taking ownership of it and even explaining that it was not meant that way, I was met with derogatory remarks from others. Your response was both disrespectful and unwarranted. I was the one offended and said so, and yet you wanted to vilify me! You even had someone compose a letter for me, but as I explained to him I do not apologize for someone else’s bad behavior. Unlike some of you, I will not call you names, nor will I hope that you crash your airplanes as someone suggested, nor will I be disrespectful to anyone as you have me, instead I wish you well in your pursuits in both aviation and personally. I am 70 years old and have always made friends throughout the aviation community, but I have never been so badly treated or disrespected as I have experienced on your forum. It will take a while to finish this project, but I will find a way. Best wishes.

Its funny how someone can be so naive in their own minds. In 10 years on this site your the first to get any pushback from other members. Kinda seems like an awfully big coincidence doncha think? Humility goes a long ways and if you truly feel that we are a bunch of name calling assholes why do you keep coming back to defend yourself? I'm sorry that you bought a pile of 25 year old junk from someone's barn and have no idea where to start. You asked for advice and didn't like it and got pissy about it. Don't care how much you want to argue that fact. Now for the 4th or 5th time if you have some specific questions and want to be open minded ask away. Like Ed said we are here to build airplanes and talk shit not listen to bickering and whining. I am more than happy to help you but for the love of god man let it go and move forward.

So... how 'bout those Cubs?!  :blink:

Edited by kiwi3
1 person likes this