Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tube diameter for 912 mount

64 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have the parts in the Leaf diagram, i need to attach them to the firewall. Im trying to build the other half of the engine mount. specifically the parts the arrows are pointing to. do the #6 washers get welded inside the cups?

mmm.jpg

Edited by aschlem

Posted

I have them Do you need measurements?

Posted

Yes, Thanks

Posted

I have the parts in the Leaf diagram, i need to attach them to the firewall. Im trying to build the other half of the engine mount. specifically the parts the arrows are pointing to. do the #6 washers get welded inside the cups?

mmm.jpg

The rubbers go on either side of the mounts that your arrows are pointing to, and the cup washers hold them in place.  The mounting bolt goes through all of them, along with another inner steel sleeve that limits how much the rubber can be compressed.  The cup washers bottom against the sleeve when fully tight.  The cup washers don't weld to anything.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

The mounts are what i have been asking about. Not the rubber or washers.  I only mention them becuase i need to make the part they nest in. Sorry for the confusion im fabing the firewall side of the mount. im trying to figure out the Mounts the arrows point to, not the pieces in the leaf diagram. Thanks for the help, sorry if i asked the wrong questions.

nn.jpg

Edited by aschlem

Posted

Hey Ill run to the hanger right now and get some measurements If I dont make it back tonight ill get them to you tomorrow. I have been fighting with kidney stones for the last couple days so Im a bit on the slow side.  

Posted

Hope this helps.

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

IMG_0769.JPG

IMG_0770.JPG

Posted

AHHH..  Thank you. hope you get better soon. Is that a Avid 912 mount? 

Posted (edited)

Well I wandered out to the hangar in our 6" of fresh snow, in the dark, up hill both ways, ect, ect and got some figures.  Pictures to.  This mount was made by Kitfox, and it came off a Kitfox 5.  The outside dimension of the socket is 1 7/8" diameter, by 1" wide.  Inside of the socket at the outside is 1 3/4" diameter.  It looks like there are a couple of washers welded into the inside of the socket, and the hole in the washers is 1 1/4".  The washers are 5/8" outside to outside.  They are probably made from .065" material  The rubber bushings are Lord mounts,   J-3608-1  LORD ENGINE MOUNT # J-3608-1 | Aircraft Spruce  For some reason, my PC now is acting up, I took pictures, and can't get them to download.  In fact, nothing is working on the bottom bar of icons or whatever they are called.  I've shut down a few times and it's not helping.  If, and when I can, I'll update and edit this reply with the pictures.  Mine do look different then TJay's.  JImChuk

PS,  hit the cont. alt. delete keys, and signed out and when it came back it seems to be working.  Here are the pics I took.  Something is still screwed up.  

20210311_194211.jpg

20210311_194356.jpg

20210311_194356.jpg

20210311_194211.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Thank you, both of you. 

Posted

Just looking at TJay's pictures again, and I don't think that mount is made for a ring mount style.  It uses four arms that go forward and connect onto the engine sides.  It looks to me like the standard Kitfox motor mount for a Kitfox 3 or 4.  That's the type of mount I'm using in my Kitfox 4.  JImChuk  

PS,,  I'm thinking if I had access to a lathe (which I do) I would maybe machine the sockets out of one piece rather then the many parts Kitfox used.  They probably would end up heavier though.  Look on page 20 of the Kitfox parts catalog, and you will see their KItfox 3, 4 mount..  KApartscat-rev 2-11-2021.pub (kitfoxaircraft.com)

Posted

For me it would be quicker to machine the sockets rather than fabricate all the parts and weld them together, My only thought is then trying to weld the thin wall tubing to the thicker billet. Maybe not an issue for a more seasoned welder.

Posted

Just revisiting the sockets again, maybe I wouldn't machine them after all.  If you had a 1/2" long piece of 1 3/4" OD tube, the two washers and two pieces of 1 7/8" X 3/8" long OD tube you would have the parts you need for one socket,   Here is a sketch I just made, imagine you had cut the socket in half, and the different pieces are moved away from each other just a bit for clairity.  The diminsions I gave are what they would be if the parts touched each other like in the second sketch.  The other sketch would be more what it would look like if it was cut in half.   If a guy had a 1 3/4" OD bar I would think you could drive it inside some 3/8" long 1 3/4" tube pieces to expand them to fit over the center 1 3/4'' piece.  Then you only need to get one size of tube.  Maybe 1 7/8" tube is harder to come by as well.    JImChuk

20210312_085145.jpg

20210312_085950.jpg