Bill of sale

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Did Avid give you a bill of sale when you bought your kit from them?

I'm using the EAA's booklet that tells you how to get your aircraft airworthy.  It says that you need an original Bill of sale from the manufacturer, and any other kit owners along the way, to form a complete owner history.

The Original owner of my kit kept great records, but no Bill of sale from Avid.  I'm really wondering if they gave him a normal Bill of sale?  He gave me the invoice, but the booklet says an invoice is not a bill of sale.

Can you guys give me some advice here?

Thanks,

Ron

Posted

I think that only applies if the original company is still in business, you may have to check the box that says built not from a kit, Kitfox has a form how to do this, on the early models 1,2,3, because the Denny aerocraft and sky star company no longer exists,

1 person likes this

Posted

Before I purchased my model II, I ordered the paper trail (history) from the FAA. There was one document in the packet, I believe from the second owner of the kit, stating there was no bill of sale passed to him from the original owner.  Everything went through alright.

1 person likes this

Posted

Actually, I think [old] Airdale Aircraft did provide one to the original owner of my Avid+ but it's been a while since I looked thru the paperwork. In any event, Invoices only for my Avid Mk-IV and all four of my KF's. If the Co. is no longer operational I see no reason why you couldn't draft and submit a letter similar to what Kitfox Aircraft recommends for the defunct Skystar and Denney Aerocraft orphans. Kitfox 'No Bill of Sale' Letter to the FAA

Posted

Thanks guys, that helps...

I'm going to use the invoice as a bill of sale, due to Avid going out of business.  Then I will have the P.O. Fill out a 8050-2 showing the sale to me.

What a pain!  I understand the need for this once it is an aircraft, but not for a kit!

Thanks again,

Ron

Posted

It was part of the original  FAA rule when allowing companies to build a large part of an aircraft kit for he buyer....IT still needs to meet the 51% rule but the FAA evaluated each company  to determine they did not build more than 51% and  which ones were authorized to sign a bill of sale form to go along with the kit to the buyer.... If a company builds the entire aircraft, they need a production certificate like Cessna or Piper and a Type Design that has been tested. The idea was to have companies build hard to make or fabricate parts for the home builder, yet not go over the 51% rule..

You could 1) contact the local FSDO and ask the question, what do I do now that company is out of business.... OR 2) ask a DAR, maybe they get told how to handle this in training at OKC or 3) worse case scenario, license it as "exhibition airshow".   If you built the ENTIRE plane, you just fill out all the paperwork as listed in AC 20-27 and mail it in and you will get a registration... however there is an affidavit in that paperwork where you swear you built all of it.and  not from a kit........ so it it is a sticky wicket...each company who built the kit would not likely reissue another bill of sale for several reason, liability being just one of them.. I ran into this with a sky raider and since they guy had lost most of the paperwork INCLUDING the aircraft bill of sale form signed by Stace Schrader, I passed on it because it is basically just parts....

Posted

When I did mine there was a block to check that said something like "built from parts".  And mine was a fuselage from Airdale and the rest was basically built from parts.  I did the checklist and it met the 51% with the work I was doing.  It seems like if you didn't have a bill of sale you could just go that route.

Posted

Same as SuberAvid....I checked the box "built from parts" and got away from needing a bill of sale or receipt from the factory. I had to do the 51% checklist also and it was easy.