Flight training needed for Avid Flyer Model B

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Just rebuilt an Avid model B. Before insurance coverage I will need 5 hours of type. I'm hoping to find someone who could help with the required hours.

I have 1300 + hours as private pilot, 40 of those are in a Kitfox. 400 in an RV6 and the rest in C172s 

Posted

Where are you at? JImChuk

Posted

Try Avemco. I was able to get insured with just my endorsement.

Posted

I am located in St George, UT.

Maybe I should talk to an insurer that will insure with just my endorsement.

However, 1avidflyer, even tho I have much tailwheel time and 40 hrs in a kit fox, if you have training suggestions I would like to get more familiar with the peculiar characteristics of the Avid Flyer model B. 

Thanks to both of you. 

Posted

Maybe someone will answer that is in your area, and you could do some flying with them.  What model Kitfox did you fly?  The 1,2,and 3 are very much like the Avids models A - MK IV.  When I was going to insure my Kitfox 1 I was worried that they might make me do some transition time in it, but they agreed that it was very much like the Avid Flyers which I have over 500 hrs. in so no transition time was required.  That insurance agent was Falcon Ins. and you have to be a EAA member to get it.   I would talk to them.  Then when you start flying the Avid, try to get used to it on grass before you try the pavement.  Was your Kitfox time done recently or a long time ago?    JImChuk

Posted

Kitfox time was the IV about 15 + years ago.

Posted

Probably could get a bit rusty in 15 yrs.  And the 4 is a somewhat different plane than the earlier ones.  See if you can get the transition time in an early Kitfox, it would give you more options.   Maybe there is someone in your area that has plenty of current time in Avids or Kitfoxes that you can put on your insurance and you can fly the transition time with them in your plane.???  Another angel perhaps.   JImChuk

Posted

good idea. thanks