I have bought Avid Catalina N541GL ..youpee

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone, I have bought Casey's avid catalina and brought it back to Canada/BC. It has not flown in 4 years and since april I am working on it to get it Canadian and also to get it lighter and implementing a few mods....

Here the setup for you:

Rotax 912 with high comp pistons (supposed to get 95Hp)

2 bladed infilght variable pitch prop (CF warp drive blades / GSC gta hub)

Here the few mods I've done so far :

Replaced lead acid battery for a very light shorei lithium battery (incredible performance....)

Replaced analogue altimeter for a LED display digital one (more precise and much lighter)

Replaced old heavy elt for new ACK e-04 lightweight 406 Mhz

Replaced analogue RPM/MAP gauge for a digital one with memory and overspeed warnings

All new aircraft wiring throughout

Bigger gauge wire on starter

added fused for all systems

added anticollision light, LED

Sorted out about 50 items wrong for the final inspection due very soon

I am very interested in hearing other catalina pilots input for the first flight.....

Happy to be an active part of the group:), cheers, Laurent

P1090448 (1280x856).jpg

P1090449 (1280x856).jpg

P1090141 (1280x720).jpg

P1090138 (1280x720).jpg

Posted (edited)

Nice Cat - Could burn down to the waterline with that battery!  Beware!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

wow ,nice looking plane,congrats

Posted

The most under appreciated Avid, IMHO. Should be a great performer with the 912ul, keep us posted.

Posted

Hi EDMO, you're quite right for some  types of lithium polymer batteries but the one I have chosen (lithium iron phosphate LiFePO 4)  is quite safe and even with the terminals short circuited it will/should  not catch fire...

Here an explanation:

LiFePO4 (also known as Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries are a huge improvement over lead acid in weight, capacity and shelf life. The LiFePO4 batteries are the safest type of Lithium batteries as they will not overheat, and even if punctured they will not catch on fire. The cathode material in LiFePO4 batteries is not hazardous, and so poses no negative health hazards or environmental hazards. Due to the oxygen being bonded tightly to the molecule, there is no danger of the battery erupting into flames like there is with Lithium-Ion. The chemistry is so stable that LiFePO4 batteries will accept a charge from a lead-acid configured charger. Though less energy-dense than the Lithium-Ion and Lithium Polymer, Iron and Phosphate are abundant and cheaper to extract so costs are much more reasonable. LiFePO4 life expectancy is approximately 5-7 years. - See more at: https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/lithium-battery-overview.html#sthash.lLg3wCeg.dpuf

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Hi EDMO, you're quite right for some  types of lithium polymer batteries but the one I have chosen (lithium iron phosphate LiFePO 4)  is quite safe and even with the terminals short circuited it will/should  not catch fire...

Here an explanation:

LiFePO4 (also known as Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries are a huge improvement over lead acid in weight, capacity and shelf life. The LiFePO4 batteries are the safest type of Lithium batteries as they will not overheat, and even if punctured they will not catch on fire. The cathode material in LiFePO4 batteries is not hazardous, and so poses no negative health hazards or environmental hazards. Due to the oxygen being bonded tightly to the molecule, there is no danger of the battery erupting into flames like there is with Lithium-Ion. The chemistry is so stable that LiFePO4 batteries will accept a charge from a lead-acid configured charger. Though less energy-dense than the Lithium-Ion and Lithium Polymer, Iron and Phosphate are abundant and cheaper to extract so costs are much more reasonable. LiFePO4 life expectancy is approximately 5-7 years. - See more at: https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/lithium-battery-overview.html#sthash.lLg3wCeg.dpuf

I wanted to buy a new truck some years ago - The salesman told me that there was no crank to start the engine with - You pushed a button on the key to start it - Guess I will keep riding the old mule since I know how it works!   Thanks for explaining about this battery type - What company makes them?  I hope everyone reads it.  Wishing you the best with your new bird - post some info about it when you can. EdMO

Edited by EDMO