Avid Mark IV - only 26 hours

9 posts in this topic

Posted

21 year old airplane still in Phase 1. I never understand how someone spends hundreds or thousands of hours building and then leaves it sentenced to a garage somewhere. Sure it needs a lot of TLC but looks like a nicely built plane.

Posted

My MkIV has 21 hours in the Hobbs meter. No were near the 40 hours fly off time. I'm not familiar with all the phases can you explain them. 

Posted

Ended, unsold.  

Same guy that's "eager to sell" a black Kitfox IV with 582 for $11,000 on that other kitfox website.  Might be a steal if the workmanship is acceptable.  Not many details.  Too far away for me.  

-Shua

Posted (edited)

My MkIV has 21 hours in the Hobbs meter. No were near the 40 hours fly off time. I'm not familiar with all the phases can you explain them. 

Some builders have been able to get the inspector to only give them 25 hours in Phase 1 because they are using the standard kit manufacture's approved engine which has a good track record.  See 1Avidflyer's post above with link to FAA post about operating limitations for more info.   

Phase 1 has to be flown in a designated area, with no passengers, but there is one exception for a 2nd pilot.  No ELT is needed, but is recommended, for Phase 1.   After Phase 1 and the numbers entered into the operating limitations, and logbook entry is made, you start Phase 2 and are free to fly anywhere it is legal and can carry passenger(s) - only one passenger if Sport Pilot rated - We tend to forget that we can build an Experimental as big as a 747 (or larger)!

Someone published a lot of pages on the maneuvers you need to do during phase 1, but it is mostly getting to know your plane in all situations and that you are able to control it.   I probably left something out, but others can add to it.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Actually, I believe the Seller terminated the auction early. I noticed the listing was in the wrong category, 'Collectibles' vs. 'Aircraft, Exp/Projects', and I sent the seller a message via eBay. If it sold (or reached Reserve) in that wrong category it would incur a final seller fee of 10% vs. the capped fee in eBay Motors. I had the exact same thing happen when I listed my two Kitfox kits last month. I swear I selected the correct category so I have no idea how that happened but it seems I'm not the only one. Makes me wonder if there is some glitch in the system? In any event, I'm guessing it will be relished shortly.

Posted

Hello everyone....yes I cancelled the sale because I was a bonehead and listed it improperly on eBay.   I will relist shortly.  I have this avid Mark IV and a Kitfox 2 improperly labeled as a Kitfox 4 speedwing.  

I was traded an unfinished challenger II clipped wing for the Kitfox - I traded thinking I was getting a 4 instead of a 2.  

The avid I picked up after the builder flew it twice, put it in storage, and then went to a home with medical conditions.  

I own a Cessna 210 I fly for business but would like a folding wing slow aircraft for fun bush flying.   I have a Rotec 110 hp radial in a crate I would love to mount to the right aircraft.  Looking to sell these two aircraft to get another which would work right with the radial. 

As Paul Harvey would say.....now you have the rest of the story.  If anyone want a lot of high res photos for either aircraft - just email me at jburley@everything-ice.com. 

I am just looking for a fair price to move the aircraft fast.  Not interested to having them on the market for a year to find a maximum price.  If someone can get a good price and I get a reasonably fair number, I am good. I am not emotionally attached which happens with some sellers. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the details John. There seems to be a lot of people in the market when the price is right. Does the Avid have a valid AW certificate and operating limitations? 

Edited by C5Engineer