Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Adding Strut Fairings - Taper required at root

41 posts in this topic

Posted

mine are just snapped over my 1" tubing.  I keep threatening to fix them to the strut with silicon or 5200 as they do rotate on the strut when you bump them.  It is part of my preflight to make sure they are lined up straight or else you will get a roll input from them.  I have had them this way for years with no issues.  I installed them at the airport and just kept hacking away at them with a battery op sawzall till they tucked in nice against the fuse.  I never put the aluminum on there just used gorilla tape as it was a "temp" install to see if they were worth the hype.  WEll, that was in 09 and I am still running the same tape on them :lmao:

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

TCJ

Fabulous stuff.  Thank you!

Posted (edited)

Do you know what they weigh per foot?

I installed the PVC fairing on the wing struts of my Classic 4 Kitfox and gained 12 pounds.  That's 6 ounces per foot.  Heavy by my standards but the increased performance out weighs the weight penalty.

I gained 10 mph in cruise speed.  From 75 mph to 85 mph.  Thats with a 503...52 HP.  Rate of climb also increased.  I don't have number's to prove it but I can tell the difference.  The first thing I noticed with the first flight with fairing on the wing struts was the sink rate was much less on power off glide approach to landing.

TJC:

Quick question, how did you handle the lift strut to jury strut straps.  Did you fix these somehow (like with a rivet or adhesive) or just leave them loose and re-position when bolting the jury struts back on?  I have snaded the fairings smooth and have prepainted them.  Hopefully the remainder of the work can be fogged in without much hassle.

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

I located where the holes for the clamps needed to be made then removed the jury struts.  I left the clamps loose while installing the fairing.  It was a little tedious getting the bolts in and the nuts back on .  Bolt the top ends of the jury strut first then twist some safety wire tight around the strut clamps with the lower jury strut mount holes lined up.  Then you can get the bolts back in and the nuts and washers on.  I filled the space in around the installed clamp with Polyfibre superfill to seal it up.

P1010699.JPG

Posted

Be sure to mark the jury strut clamp location on the lift strut before you remove the jury struts.

Posted (edited)

Thought I would check back on this.  The install when great (I left the clamps loose but marked the locations).  Going to do a functional check flight this AM is get a good look at the numbers.  Hopefully I can report back with a respectable delta.

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

Great flight this AM.  Noticeable improvement.  Not quite 10 MPH at cruise, but a solid 8.  This is a Model III with undercamber wings.  Previous cruise was 75 MPH indicated.  New cruise is about 83 mph (@5700 RPM).  Installing an IVO in place of my GSC on Friday and hope to squeeze a few more out of it.

Most noticeable is the slower flight power required (several hundred RPM lower for a given airspeed ~ 60 MPH).  Better glide as well (a bit tougher to get a decent sink rate on approach).  Might need to start using flaps now :o)

3 people like this

Posted

Installed and tested a 68" 3 blade IVO this morning.  Improvements in performance across the board.  To include an addition 3 MPH cruise. Most noticeable is the decrease in vibration at lower RPM.  Very Smooth prop!

Posted

What prop were you replacing?  JImChuk

Posted

68" 3 blade GSC

Posted

Here is a quick shot with fairings and the new prop.  Does change her look somewhat.

DSCN5196.JPG

Posted

very sharp, Just out of curiosity how come you didn't put on the strut fairings right when you finished the plane,

Posted

I like that gear.... Lou

Posted (edited)

very sharp, Just out of curiosity how come you didn't put on the strut fairings right when you finished the plane,

It was primarily for expediency (getting the bird ready for inspection), not quite sure which type of fairing I was going to use, and a time slot in the paint booth.  Figured I would add them soon after I got it flying.  However, didn't think it would take me a year before I got around to it. :o)

In this case I fitted the Kitfox brand of fairings then removed and painted them, and re-installed (only needed to remove the jury struts).  Still need to add the lower strut "Y" aluminum covers, but those are ready to go.  Also added sections to the landing gear.

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

I like that gear.... Lou

Lou, thats the Highwing gear. Absolutely love it, really performs well.

Posted

thanks I am questing leaving mine off for the first few hours of flight testing, like to see the difference in performance,