Posted

Good looking bird sir!  Ah, Sverige!

Posted

Yes , Sverige !

i must build a hangar , just a 3x6 m 

so i can fold the wings and put it in, 

and move the (hangar) on my truck if i need to

Posted

Nice looking bird. What wheels and tires are those? Pretty fancy.

Posted

I dont know wher it came from

Posted

Guessing an early B model with cable brakes??? Looks good though.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Serialnumber is 499

its cable brakes , 

is say mod C in the bock ?

mabye mod C i wrong ?

/Thomas 

Posted

That is sharp, did you fiberglass the cowl to hide the gearbox, if so nice work.

Posted

I was just guessing that it had cable brakes looking at the wheels.  Then I figured it was an early B model, cause at some point in there they went to hydraulic brakes.  Nothing is cast in stone on these planes though, the builder could use what ever he wanted or had available at the time.   Maybe the wheels and brakes that came with this kit got "borrowed" for something else before  this plane was built.   Serial # 499 does sound like a C model for sure.   Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Nice looking Avid. Have you considered fairing your lift struts? I've heard some pretty impressive performance improvement numbers from folks who have done it. Where is your radiator located?

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

Hej Thomas,

this is the theory (or at least one of them...), making yours a Model C according to serial number (mine is #479 and considered a C Model with Heavy Hauler wing):

Model A

N99AF, the trigear prototype, won the Best New Design Award at Oshkosh in 1983.

The Model A's fuselage had wood stringers along the fuselage sides and bottom. The fuel tank was behind the instrument panel. It used cable-operated brakes with narrow "wheelbarrow" wheels. The engine mount was welded to the fuselage.

Model B (serial numbers below about 250)

The Model B had a separate engine mount bolted to the fuselage. A radiator was mounted outside on the passenger's side. Aluminum wheels were used. There was one diagonal piece of tubing across the cockpit ceiling.

The Heavy Hauler wing was first offered on late Model Bs. Although the spar tubes were thicker aluminum (.083 inches rather than .063) and the lift struts were heavier (7/8 inch rather than 3/4) the rib spacing was still 18 inches.

Model C (serial numbers about 250 to about 900)

The Model C's fuel tanks moved to the wings. Matco wheels and hydraulic brakes were used, and a castoring Matco tailwheel with 1-1/4 inch tailspring. The radiator was mounted inside the cowling on the passenger's side. Tubing replaced the wood stringers along the fuselage sides, but a wood stringer was still used on the bottom.

The single diagonal piece of tubing across the cockpit ceiling was changed to a stronger triangular structure.

The Heavy Hauler wing rib spacing was changed to 12 inches. The Aerobat wing had the same features as the Heavy Hauler but was 6 feet shorter (24 feet vs 30 ft). The Commuter wing was a short STOL wing.

Model D / Mark IV (serial numbers about 900 to about 1550 with D suffix)

The cowling was redesigned to accommodate two radiators at the front. The cowling was split horizontally, rather than vertically as on earlier models. In order to accommodate different engine choices, the vertical stabilizer was straightened and different engine mounts were built for left or right turning engines or gearboxes.

The tailwheel spring was increased to 1-1/2 inches. All fuselage stringers were now tubing. A luggage compartment was added behind the seats with a door to the outside.

From 1995 only the heavier .083 inch spars were supplied.

Bandit (serial numbers about 900 to about 1582 with E suffix)

Magnum (serial numbers with M suffix)

Regards,

Fred (or Fredrik among Swedish people...)

Posted

This data along with many other great literature on Avids is posted in our Files and Forms area of the forum.

Posted

My Model C (serial # 577) originally had the same wheels with cable brakes. I was able to scrounge a set of 6" matco wheels and hydraulic brakes from a friends wreck when he rebuilt.

Posted (edited)

Nice looking bird. What wheels and tires are those? Pretty fancy.

Probably being the least informed about the early Avids, I am guessing that those are narrow Azuza (spelling?) or Rapco? wheels with cable brakes.   I have never seen a set of them except in pictures and maybe in Spruce catalog.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

2 radiators , small in the front under the gearbox , and one on the right Side , and that one works at heater element for cabin heating as well ,

cowling hide the gearbox 

wait for the inspektion of the aircraft 2 juli , hope to get in the Air for the first time !

and now i need help !! 

The Avid is 300 km from me , becuse i just startde to move .... Anyway i need to know the Size of the bolts to the jurystruts ( nerest the wingtip) 

some one has put at to long bolt ther !! 

And Im need to place a order on a new one asap !

so dimensions and qualety ?? 

And the dimention on the bolt witch you pull out when you fold the wings ?  Can be good to have an extra if it drops in the Gras 

Posted

-Removable 5/16" Spar Clevis Pins - Fuselage to Front Spar

• AN395-97
  • MS20392-4C97

-Jury Strut to Spar Attach Bracket

-Jury Strut Clamps

• Bolt: AN3-4A
  • Flat Washer: AN960-10
  • Nylon Insert Locknut: AN365-1032

Posted

Thomas,

is the jury strut bolts or the wing strut bolts you are looking for?

While you always need the right quality bolts, the jury strut (that prevent the wing strut from bending during negative G) as less critical than the wing strut bolts.

In my builder manual the jury strut bolts have reference AN3-4A (16 in total on the inventory list, 8 used for the jury struts)

The wing strut bots have reference AN4-16A (4 in total on the inventory list, all used for the wing struts)

But I don't have the dimensions and they dimensions are not on dholly's eye test charts... only part numbers and descriptions...

Not much of an help I'm afraid...

Posted

The AN number itself often gives you the measures... if you know the code. Here is a handy guide to identifying AN hardware > http://exp-aircraft.com/library/alexande/hardware.html

Guys, regarding the "eye-test" Mk-IV Pull Sheets in the other thread, all you need to do is click on the image to open and it will be enlarged. If that is still not big enough, just click 'Full Size' on the lower left of any open image. That should pull up a zoomed image big enough for a half-blind bat! However, if that is still not big enough for you, I suspect you may have discovered that browsing the Internet on tiny screen mobile devices has its limits. :)

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks for the link to the guide! I lean't something today... And your eye charts are readable when clicked - and together with the guide very useful!

Posted

Thanks for all Help , becuse of My bad englis is it difficult to anderstand every thing !

i have bolts (1 on eatch Side ) upp beside the front window . Not just pins, but it hade to be easy to have pins when folding the wings 

and the second is the jurystruts , 

the bolt ther is too long , the upper front bolt , ner the leding edge 

i Cant figur out from the cheats which bolt it is , becuse the bad english , and when i call the supplaier he need the right spec on the bolts

Posted

It must be the wingstrut bolt i need 

it gose from the (  landing gear) wher it attatched whith one bolt 

to the (end of the wing) and ther is it 2 bolts .... I miss one of the 2 bolts ther ... Understandebal 

Posted

image.jpg

Posted (edited)

That wing strut bolt should be a AN4, but you have to measure the wing fitting and go by the bolt grip length on the chart.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ok Thomas, what you need are the bolts that secure the lift strut ends to the spar attach brackets. According to the Mk-IV Hardware list, you will need:

-Lift Strut to Spar Attach Bracket

• Bolts: AN4-16A
  • Flat Washers: AN960-416
  • Nylon Insert Locknut: AN365-428

Re: Fuselage to Front Spar hardware, if you prefer to use bolts rather than removable Clevis pins, you will need:

• Bolts: AN5-30
  • Flat Washers: AN960-516
  • Castle Nuts: AN310-5
  • Cotter Pins: AN380-25-3

Hope that helps!