Fat Avid Video

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Not sure if I'm smart enough to figure out how copy a link ,but my friend Willy with time on his hands after finishing his bush caddy  and miserable  day for flying was nice enough to make a video clip of my avid, thanks :BC:

6 people like this

Posted

I like it!  Jim Chuk

Posted

Cool video! Thanks

Posted

Nicely done!  Is it just the speed you were flying in the video or do you really have to hold that much up elevator to keep the nose up?  She seemed a lil nose heavy.

:BC:

Posted

We have done a few a few tweaks on it,shimming the angle of the motor,lowering the front of the horizontal stab.and throwing weight behind the seat,they all helped a little but haven't been able to fly hands off, it stills needs back pressure on the stick. It will be interesting to see what a lighter engine and longer wings will have do :BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

How about adjusting the angle of the flapperons?

Maybe some "flap" deflection that is unwanted?

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Ya adjusted the flaperon angle as well so it was around -1 degree in off position,if I remember right (has anyone gone with more negative deflection), could only use about half flap settings on landing otherwise became very nose heavy and ran out of up elevator.

Posted

You could easily try a little more "reflex" or up flapperon in your rigging.  

How did you determine the -1º?

Posted

My first Avid got a bit squirrely with reflex/negative flaperons.  I would be carefull with that, or at least be aware of it when you try it.  I don't believe my other Avids had any reflex available the way they were set up, and never noticed the same thing with them.   I was new to the plane then and Avids in general, but there was a red mark at the forward most position of the flap handle, so I wasn't the only person who noticed it.  It really should have had a stop there rather than the red mark, or better yet been adjusted so it wasn't a problem.  I don't remember if I ever adjusted that out or not, but I didn't forget the experience when somehow the flaperon handle was all the way forward on one of the early flights...  Jim Chuk

Posted

The dilemma of the sube. With the stretched tail you won't need to add to much to the tail. I think I added 20 lbs. to get my cg right on my Mk IV. Might be worth adding some weight to get it fly right. You might get away with 10-15 lbs.

Posted

I got the degrees by using a straight edge on the bottom of the wing were it instructed  then zeroed my digital level to zero,then could figure out the angle of the flaperons from there, they were pretty close to the same degree that Randy had on his Avid +. I never did try adding weight to the tail, was meaning to try that just to see what it did ,but its now in the shop with some changes in the works,

Posted (edited)

Hoping that the 4" leading edge extension and larger tailfeathers will solve some of the nose-heavy problems.  Wasn't Kitfox using -3 degree flaperons, or was that only with the KF4 ribs and symmetrical flaperons?   EDMO

IMG_1495.JPG

Edited by EDMO